Author Topic: Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey  (Read 5287 times)

internalogic

• Palmer
on: November 05, 2010, 01:49:17 AM
I'm reaching the (yes, stirring) conclusion of this book. 

The beginning and really much of the first half kind of turned me off with what seemed to me to be its excessive self-indulgence.

For the first half of the book I found myself not caring very much what happened to the main characters.  I found much in the way of voyeuristic tittilation, gratuitousness, and kind of baroque ostentacity.  All of these things were turn-offs to me.  But I kept going and quite abruptly the story became very compelling.  It literally brought tears to my eyes.  More than once.

Once again, as all good books do, it taught me something about the writer's art.  It is not about the elements you include--the writer will include any elements of interest or of compulsion to him or her--but it's rather about how you redeem those elements through the story you tell.  In a sense all stories are stories of redemption; redemption not of the protagonist but of the one telling the story.  In 'having one's say' one is transformed.  Otherwise, why bother having it? 

So the writer brings out those subjects or elements or issues that are stubbornly in her imagination or awareness.  Then transforms them through the telling of a story.  What a fantastic art!

Anyway, I'm still not sure if I want to read the rest of this series.  (Well, listen to it, actually; of course I'm doing audio.)  But I'd say there's a strong chance of it happening at some point.

Any other fans of this series?

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 03:07:50 AM
I really enjoyed this series for its unashamed sexuality, lush descriptions, and fascinating characters, especially the headline couple, who are both wonderful in their own rights, and have a really interesting relationship. The world building is really exquisite. I'm also (T.M.I.? What T.M.I.?) pretty kinky myself, so there was something really gratifying (in the emotional sense, you perv) in seeing a fantasy protagonist openly engaged in those themes (though I'm told that the sequel series, staring Imriel, will be more my personal speed). That said, I still haven't gotten through the final book of the first series, mostly because I have so little sympathy for Melisande that Phaedra's continued mooning over her is starting to grate. I mean, seriously, Melisande is a heartless monomaniacal freak. I want someone to send her a box bomb containing her son's severed head and just enough time delay for the magnitude of her loss to sink in before it blows her to kingdom come.

::phew:: Yeah, I have a real hate-on for that chick.

I'll definitely get through the book eventually, in part because I'm told it gets better and in part because I want to get all the set-up I need to enjoy all the books about Imriel.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:24:50 PM
Well, I'm going to read the rest of the first trilogy.  Just decided.  I'll enjoy Carey's particular brand of storytelling/worldbuilding.  She's very talented.  And the voice actress Anne Flosnik is exquisite. Really, really wonderful.  And every so often she subtly drops in a really funny interpretation of line that could have gone any number of ways.  There's this one really really funny one where a minor character--the royal archivist--is told by the queen to go and draw up the relevant documents.  And the way Flosnik makes the character say, 'Your Majesty' in assent, it sounds like in this case, this particular character gets his sexual fulfilment by dealing with those documents.  He says it like, 'Oh, you devil you!'  That cracked me up.

Nice to talk to someone else who has also read it. 

After this, I think I'll go and enjoy a re-read of The Name of the Wind.

and to all a good night.

ps.  just re-read my original post and noted that 'ostentacity' is not actually a word.  ah well.

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:02:59 AM
Have just finished book two.

Very, very good.

What an odd mixture.  Epic fantasy + erotica + romance novel with a dash of Victorian-era floridity.  I feel stirred, inspired, voyeuristic, and a little corny at the same time. 

I think that Carey pulls it off completely successfully. 

guess I'll be reading the rest of her books.

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:07:37 AM
Oh, and ElectricPaladin, I can definitely empathize with your enthusiastic hatred of Melisandre. :-)

We must admit though, it wouldn't be much of a story without her. 

plus, beats Dr. Evil.   :-\

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:10:00 AM
I loved these. Even read the second trilogy and the first two of the third.

Has anyone read her Godslayer trilogy or whatever it was called? The one that was set up like a backwards LoTR from the perspective of the dark lord's followers?

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:58:43 AM
I'm now into book 1 of the second trilogy.

Wonderful, wonderful writing and storytelling. 

Jacqueline Carey is very, very talented.

Interestingly, I'm taking these in audio form.  Due to differences in protagonists, trilogy 2 has a different narrator than trilogy 1.  Yet I find that I'm enjoying the 2nd trilogy in a very similar way to how I loved trilogy 1.  This lets me know, even more, that it's the writer's voice that is the key. 

I plan to read that other series after I finish these Kushiel books. It's a joy to love a writer's approach to both plot and language (not to mention my holy grail: Characterization).

soapturtle

• Extern
    • soapturtle.net
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:22:24 AM
While I never finished Kushiel's Dart, and don't plan on going back to that series, I am reading the Namaah's [blah] (Kiss, Curse, future release Blessing) series that's about 100 years or so after both the Kushiel's trilogies.  By reading, I mean listening to the audio.  I really like these books, though I have some issues with the protagonist.

Also, must plug Carey's Santa Olivia here if you haven't read/listened.  I LOVED it.  It made me think about it for weeks after.  Considering aspects of that world, and what that reality would be like, etc.

When asked nicely, I sometimes read things for people on the internet.
Blog : Voice : Twitter: @soapturtle