Author Topic: Scattercat Stories  (Read 46037 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
on: November 07, 2010, 03:22:25 AM
Okay, at this point, I actually have enough upcoming publications that this doesn't feel stupid to write.  To whit:

- "Fetch" will, of course, be forthcoming from Podcastle imminently, having outperformed every other entry I put into that contest by an order of magnitude at minimum.

- "Harvest" and "Turnaround" are two flash fiction pieces that will appear in actual physical form as part of the "Seasons in the Abyss" anthology from Blood Bound Books. 

- "Concrete" will show up in Abyss & Apex sometime in the latter quarters of 2011.  They have like a year-long buffer of already accepted stories over yonder, just as a note to any would-be contributors.  Good stuff, for the most part, a friendly and painless editorial process, can't say enough nice things, etc., but you do wait a long time between acceptance and actual payment/publication.

- "May He Reign Forever" should be out from the Dunesteef boys 'round about Thanksgiving time, depending.

- "As Fast As You Can" will be published in Daily Science Fiction on a day as yet to be determined.

You can't read any of these stories anywhere yet (except for "Fetch" up in the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest, assuming you who are reading this are a member of the forums.)  But they WILL be out eventually!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:11:45 PM
Congrats, sir! Looks like it's been a good year for you  :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:21:42 AM
Tolerable good, tolerable good.  My Duotrope profile tells me I'm between 3.8 and 4 percent acceptance rate, all told. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:09:47 AM
The Lights In-Between, which was so very beloved in the EP flash fiction contest, has found a home at 365 Tomorrows.  Since I wrote it for free anyway, I figured it was a pretty good fit for that, and I admire any attempt to update a creative writing endeavor on a daily basis, as I know from personal experience how difficult that is to maintain.

My poems "Ruminations on a Dandelion Theme" and "Snake Eyes" will be in BULL SPEC #'s 6 and 5, respectively.

Also, "Terrible Lizard King" will be appearing at a hopefully familiar site soon.  I have broken the Pseudopod ceiling!  (A personal goal since May of 2009.)  I sent the contract back to Inara just a few days ago.  :-D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:17:23 AM by Scattercat »

eytanz

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 10:16:05 AM
Also, "Terrible Lizard King" will be appearing at a hopefully familiar site soon.  I have broken the Pseudopod ceiling!  (A personal goal since May of 2009.)  I sent the contract back to Inara just a few days ago.  :-D

Congratulations!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 05:05:49 AM
AWESOMENESS!!!

Congrats, Mr. Scattercat!!!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 05:42:00 AM
Congrats, Mr. Scattercat!!!

Y'all were next on the list.  Pseudopod took that bullet for you; now you only have to listen if you want to.  ;-)

Thanks, guys!

goatkeeper

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:43:54 AM
Woot!
Wait'll we're able to start paying for Drabbles and watch that Duotrope rating climb fast.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 02:15:33 AM
My story "Metastasis" is up at Cast Macabre this week!  Barry's been around the forums, I know, so it's all nice and incestuous and suchlike.  ;-)

Whee!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:36:48 AM
The Broken Mirror Story Event draws to a merciful end and/or a glorious climax with my first-place entry, May He Reign Forever.  This story was workshopped right here on the forums, and I appreciate everyone's help in making it as good as it is (however good you perceive that to be.)

Let me know what you think, even (especially!) if you didn't like it for any reason.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:20:50 PM
The Broken Mirror Story Event draws to a merciful end and/or a glorious climax with my first-place entry, May He Reign Forever.  This story was workshopped right here on the forums, and I appreciate everyone's help in making it as good as it is (however good you perceive that to be.)

Let me know what you think, even (especially!) if you didn't like it for any reason.

I had a brain fart and read "worshipped right here on the forums".

I especially enjoyed that barbarian leader guy...  ::)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:02 PM
I especially enjoyed that barbarian leader guy...  ::)

I like his hair.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:03 PM
"Seasons in the Abyss" is finally available for purchase, containing my two shorts, "Turnaround" and "Harvest."  It's an anthology of horror flash fiction (max length 750 words) related to the four seasons.  You can buy a copy here, if you are at all interested.  I get paid exactly nothing when you do.  I haven't had a chance to read the other entries, so I can't rightly provide a meaningful review, but I can say that they rejected half of the stuff I sent them, which means there was definitely editing and filtering that happened.

If anyone else buys it, I'd be interested to compare notes.  (I'm buying a copy because my ego demands it, and the vet said I need to feed him a more varied diet.)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:34:07 AM
By the way, I'm in the running for the People's Choice Best Drabble award over at the Drabblecast.  I lack but one vote to tie the venerable Munsi for the honor!  (At the time of this writing, anyway.)

I don't know if vote-whoring is allowed, but darn it, I'm jealous of that boy's talent and wish to usurp him with all due haste. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 01:32:17 PM
April 25, 2011 - "Necessities" marks my debut in Daily Science Fiction (and pro-paying rates ZOMG).

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:34 AM
Concrete is now up at Abyss & Apex.  Hurry!  You only have 2.5 months before it disappears behind the paywall!!  :-P

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 04:26:09 PM
Congrats, Scattercat! Looking forward to reading it :)

nevermore_66

• Palmer
    • My Blog
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 05:38:40 PM
Congrats. I shall check it out before the wall devours it.

"There is no exquisite beauty…without some strangeness in the proportion."
~Edgar Allan Poe, "Ligeia"

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 02:25:39 PM
On April 25, my flash fiction "Necessities," critiqued here in this very forum, will appear in the e-mail feed of Daily Science Fiction (and will be on the website thereafter).

In May, the Journal of Unlikely Entomology will feature "The Cowboy, the Horse, and the Scorpion" in their inaugural issue.

Aaaaand the current issue of BULL SPEC features my prose poem "Snake Eyes."

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 02:32:17 PM
Also, glad to see people are reading (or intend to read)!  Just noting that I'm always thrilled to hear feedback, regardless of the relative positivity.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 10:57:31 AM
"Necessities" has shipped!  It's not up at the website yet, but Daily Science Fiction does most commentary on its Facebook page.  If you didn't sign up to DSF in time, you can read the story in the Crit Group here, or just wait a week for it to post to their site.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:08 AM
AND!  "As Fast As You Can" will be DSF's featured weekend story for May 13.  Mark your calendars and sign up for e-mail stories! 

(In all seriousness, I've found the convenience of the stories coming right to my Inbox has made DSF my most-read online magazine, whereas others tend to accumulate and get wiped out in long sessions of late-night boredom.)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 06:44:40 AM
My story The Cowboy, the Horse, and the Scorpion is now available at the Journal of Unlikely Entomology.  Both story and magazine basically do what they say on the tin.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 12:32:20 AM
"Boll Weevil" (a slightly expanded version of my entry into the Pseudopod fiction contest last year) has sold to the Parsec Triangulation anthology "Last Contact."  Publish date is July 23.  Mark your calendars!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 12:41:12 PM
Stephen Ramey has posted the teaser for "Boll Weevil" at his blog.  The anthology looks like a hoot so far; check out some of those other stories!

(Also I am secretly sad that my story got two "meh" votes out of four.  "Meh" is even worse than fiery hatred.)

---

Other "Boll Weevil" news!  It will also appear in audio on the Drabblecast sometime around the end of the year.  Double-sale!  Critical hit!  Roll damage!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:51:20 PM by Scattercat »

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 01:29:26 PM
Nice!
Other "Boll Weevil" news!  It will also appear in audio on the Drabblecast sometime around the end of the year.  Double-sale!  Critical hit!  Roll damage!

:D  :D

Nice!  Congrats, dude.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 10:05:29 AM
The Drabblecast has proved surprisingly difficult for me, at least in terms of short stories rather than drabbles.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 08:09:46 AM
Part One of Tír na nÓg is up at Cast of Wonders, created by Barry Northern of Cast Macabre fame.  Parts two and three will follow at the appropriate intervals.

Check it out and admire the shiny!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 01:58:35 PM
The Drabblecast has proved surprisingly difficult for me, at least in terms of short stories rather than drabbles.

Same.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 04:26:01 AM
Linkfest!

Okay, first, here are Part 2 and Part 3 of "Tír na nÓg" over at Cast of Wonders.  Graeme does a lovely, smooth reading and should be praised and worshiped in the appropriate forums.  Feel free to leave feedback on that story just about anywhere you like (though the CoW forums are a little anemic and could use some good discussion meat.  Flame, you glorious bastards!  Flame like you mean it!)

Second, the new issue of Bull Spec (#6) contains, at the very back where no one has to be embarrassed by it, my poem "Ruminations on a Dandelion Theme."  I just got my hard copy of the issue, and the production values are really stellar.  Highly recommended as a general product.

Thirdly, "Seasons in the Abyss," which contains two flash fiction pieces by yours truly, recently put up a Kindle edition at the much more reasonable price of three dollars.  I can recommend it at that price, definitely.  You'll get three bucks of entertainment out of it, although some of that may come from throwing it at the wall every now and then.  Probably at my stories.

And finally, Parsec Ink's Triangulation: Last Contact anthology is printed and available in both standard and Kindle editions.  I'm going to go ahead and guess, just based on the author list, that this will be a fun read. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 01:06:23 PM
Dustin Adams, under the banner of Frank Dutkiewicz' reviews, has given my story "As Fast As You Can" a Recommended rating over at David Steffen's Diabolical Plots.  Mine is about halfway down the page.  Frank's articles are a noble effort to provide reviews for such a high-output venue (the likeliest explanation as to why other reviewing sites haven't done more about it.)  At over a year of successful operation, I think we can at least say that DSF is a serious attempt at a 'zine, questions of income sources aside.  And they buy more of my stories than any other venue I've tried, so I pretty much love them by definition.  ;-)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 09:32:05 PM
Tangent Online has reviewed "Triangulation: Last Contact."  They hate my story, but they correctly identify most of the others as high-quality and enjoyable bits of literature.

Seriously, it's a good book.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:08 PM
"I Kill Monsters" is coming from Daily Science Fiction on October 28!  Are YOU ready!?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 07:32:17 AM
"I Kill Monsters" is out tomorrow!  Last chance to sign up for Daily Science Fiction's e-mail list and get it fresh instead of waiting a week...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 12:42:03 PM
Issue 2 of Penumbra E-Mag is out, with a story by Yrs Trly.  ("Cocklebur," which some in the forums have seen as "Nightseed.")

They also apparently offer subscriptions now...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 05:18:14 PM
Have you ever said to yourself, "Self, I love paying for things that I can get for free, but my pantry is already completely full of bottled water and that unkempt man who hands out the Jack Chick tracts currently runs when he sees me coming"? 

Well, have I got a deal for you!

"Splinters of Silver and Glass" is a collection of the best 100 stories from the first three years of Mirrorshards.  Buy 99 stories for a penny each, get the 100th free!

It also includes "The Lady of Tilmarine," which is the very first story I ever sold (and no longer available online), and "Old Growth," which got an Honorable Mention in Writers of the Future but never found a home.  (Now how much would you pay? /RonPopeil)

Yes, all this can be yours for... well, candy bars are all mostly $0.85 now, but 20 oz. sodas are all $1.25...

Pretend it's a Dollar Tree.  The Dollar Tree of Fiction! 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #36 on: January 01, 2012, 12:28:10 PM
"Terrible Lizard King," which first appeared at Pseudopod, is now available in print at Allegory E-zine.  If you don't have time to listen, then surely you also probably don't have time to click over and read it, actually, but hey!  It's there if you want it.

This marks my Very First Reprint Sale.  Huzzah!

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 05:51:22 PM
Awesome, gratz!

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 02:26:45 PM
My flash fiction fantasy/phantasmagoria, "Lightblind," is available in the Sparks anthology from Earthbound books.  It's only available at Amazon for now, but it's also only three bucks.  I enjoyed several of the stories in my advance copy, so don't buy it just for my story.  :-)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 02:30:39 PM
Also, if someone who isn't either paid by or a personal friend of the editors wants to write an actual review for Sparks, that'd be awesome.  I don't know what they were thinking.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 06:18:07 AM
My bit of surreal oddness, "The Life and Times of Otto van Maark and His Luxuriant Beard," is available now at Liquid Imagination.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 02:31:03 AM
Some updates:

"Lightblind" from a couple of posts upthread has now appeared in audio, courtesy of the amazing Tina Connolly and Toasted Cake.

"Forks and Skewers," which was written back in college, around the same time as "14B," has a nice reading up at The Way of the Buffalo.

And a possibly familiar name is attached to today's Escape Pod episode, "Nemesis"...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 05:46:37 AM
"All Unlooked For" will appear August 27 in Parsec Ink's Triangulation: Morning After anthology.

I'm hosting a giveaway at Mirrorshards.  Post a pun, get a (chance at a) free book!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 07:54:14 PM
"Gastrophidia" is available to read at Ideomancer!

Come read about the man with the snake in his belly, and what happens when it comes out...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 01:18:11 AM
"Dragonslayer" is in the current issue of Intergalactic Medicine Show!  (You gotta pay, I'm afraid, but it's a pretty good 'zine.)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14:18 AM
New giveaway at Mirrorshards, y'all!

This one is the biggest yet, in terms of mass and pagecount...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 05:35:57 AM
I forgot this was here.  :-(

At any rate, in addition to the no-longer-recent appearance of "Wings" at Pseudopod, I am pleased to announce that "No More Teachers, No More Books" is now live at the incomparable Tina Connolly's flash fiction podcast, Toasted Cake.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:18 PM
The Shallows is presently available at Flash Fiction Online.  This is an expanded version of one of my submissions back in the EP flash contest.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #48 on: October 06, 2013, 02:30:33 AM
My short story "Silver and Copper, Iron and Ash" is in the Coins of Chaos anthology (Also available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.)  There is a one-chapter preview at the first site, which also happens to be my story, so if you just want to read it for free, I guess you can.  It's a pretty fun anthology overall, though.

(If you need more information, the premise was to write a story about evil magic coins, specifically the old Indian-head nickels from the turn of the last century, which were often carved by homeless vagrants into new designs as a sort of oddball form of folk art.  So basically some nickels show up and fuck some shit up.  Take that, dimes, you pansies.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:19:21 AM by Scattercat »

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 05:24:13 AM
So after four months of nada, zilch, zip, I get two acceptance notes right in a row.  o_0

"Roundabout" will be appearing in Intergalactic Medicine Show sometime in 2014.  It is about fighting the interstate highway system with a quarterstaff.

"Systems" will be in Cemetery Dance at a currently unspecified time.  It is about crows and responsibility and going crazy.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #50 on: October 20, 2013, 07:19:19 AM
Congrats - CEMETERY DANCE is a difficult market to crack!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #51 on: October 20, 2013, 07:50:30 AM
You ain't kidding.  I've been watching the responses trickling in; most everyone that I know who had something left there had had it for nearly a year.

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #52 on: October 20, 2013, 11:29:39 AM
Hey, congrats!!  :D

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 04:38:30 PM
*Double High Fives*

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #54 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:16 PM
Enginesong is now out at Beneath Ceaseless Skies (and will be in their podcast next issue.)  This one started life as a drabble based on my friend Lanse's invitation to write a story based on some of his cockamamie customized wargame miniatures.  I started from a steampunk-ish train engine with AT-AT legs.  That became a 200-word story, then a 500-word flash, and finally this. 

It is about duty and desperation and trains with big honking metal feet.  Choo-choo.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 03:40:52 PM
Also, it appears that the corrected narration has been uploaded for The Alchemist's Children over at Cast of Wonders, so that's out now, too.  :-D  This was my story that appeared in the first volume of UFO and which is much spoofier and more light-hearted, in case you need a palate cleanser after riding the rails and working up a powerful thirst.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 11:44:15 AM
Enginesong has appeared on the BCS podcast.  If you didn't read it, now you can just put it on and do the dishes while humming to drown it out.  Hooray!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 07:07:16 PM

My way-too-long story about dead dragons and guns that don't work appears this month at Beneath Ceaseless Skies for Science Fantasy Month:

Stonebones

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #58 on: March 18, 2014, 05:11:40 PM
And a much much shorter story just came out today in Strange Horizons: The Mountain Demon's Ballad.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #59 on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:28 PM
And a much much shorter story just came out today in Strange Horizons: The Mountain Demon's Ballad.

Dude, you sold a story to SH? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

(And a belated congrats on your second BCS sale, as well! Nicely done, man.)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #60 on: March 18, 2014, 05:40:21 PM
And it only took me five and a half years!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #61 on: May 13, 2014, 07:54:14 AM
"The Strongest Man in the World" is out today from Daily Science Fiction!  Come one, come all, and see the show!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #62 on: May 13, 2014, 02:41:57 PM
Congrats, man!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #63 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:36 PM
The Shallows went live at Toasted Cake today! 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #64 on: July 30, 2014, 01:17:27 AM
And here's Roundabout at the newly not-behind-a-paywall IGMS!  Plus audio version!

If you ever wanted to punch a highway, have I got the story for you...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #65 on: September 21, 2014, 02:35:56 AM
And Unidentified Funny Objects 3 is out!  Amazon linky

This anthology not only continues to feature awesome authors, but it's one of the few sources of well-curated spec-fic humor on the markets today, and contains my own contribution: "Why I Bought Satan Two Cokes on the Day I Graduated High School," which pretty much does what it says on the tin.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #66 on: September 29, 2014, 01:14:15 AM
Mythic Delirium returns with, among many others, my story "And All the Tribes of the Earth Shall Mourn," in which a man fails to understand other people's religious ecstasy, and also McDonald's. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #67 on: October 02, 2014, 08:43:46 AM
The hits come fast and furious!  "Columbidae" is available now in Flash Fiction Online!

It is one thousand words and is about pigeons pretty nearly exclusively.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #68 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:55 PM
Today, "Toadwords" is available from Daily Science Fiction.  Having toads come out of your mouth always seemed like a weird curse to me, and rereading the fairy tale as an adult, I was struck by how little the "bad" daughter did to earn this kind of life-long punishment.  (How many people would really respond to random strangers' requests for assistance with full compliance?  At best, you're going to get, "Sorry, I'm busy.")

So here is Fanny after a lifetime of dealing with the aftermath, or at least one possible interpretation of her.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #69 on: October 31, 2014, 06:10:21 PM
Got it in my inbox last night from DSF and smiled but was careful not to say anything :)