Author Topic: Scattercat Stories  (Read 46032 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
on: November 07, 2010, 03:22:25 AM
Okay, at this point, I actually have enough upcoming publications that this doesn't feel stupid to write.  To whit:

- "Fetch" will, of course, be forthcoming from Podcastle imminently, having outperformed every other entry I put into that contest by an order of magnitude at minimum.

- "Harvest" and "Turnaround" are two flash fiction pieces that will appear in actual physical form as part of the "Seasons in the Abyss" anthology from Blood Bound Books. 

- "Concrete" will show up in Abyss & Apex sometime in the latter quarters of 2011.  They have like a year-long buffer of already accepted stories over yonder, just as a note to any would-be contributors.  Good stuff, for the most part, a friendly and painless editorial process, can't say enough nice things, etc., but you do wait a long time between acceptance and actual payment/publication.

- "May He Reign Forever" should be out from the Dunesteef boys 'round about Thanksgiving time, depending.

- "As Fast As You Can" will be published in Daily Science Fiction on a day as yet to be determined.

You can't read any of these stories anywhere yet (except for "Fetch" up in the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest, assuming you who are reading this are a member of the forums.)  But they WILL be out eventually!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:11:45 PM
Congrats, sir! Looks like it's been a good year for you  :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:21:42 AM
Tolerable good, tolerable good.  My Duotrope profile tells me I'm between 3.8 and 4 percent acceptance rate, all told. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:09:47 AM
The Lights In-Between, which was so very beloved in the EP flash fiction contest, has found a home at 365 Tomorrows.  Since I wrote it for free anyway, I figured it was a pretty good fit for that, and I admire any attempt to update a creative writing endeavor on a daily basis, as I know from personal experience how difficult that is to maintain.

My poems "Ruminations on a Dandelion Theme" and "Snake Eyes" will be in BULL SPEC #'s 6 and 5, respectively.

Also, "Terrible Lizard King" will be appearing at a hopefully familiar site soon.  I have broken the Pseudopod ceiling!  (A personal goal since May of 2009.)  I sent the contract back to Inara just a few days ago.  :-D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:17:23 AM by Scattercat »

eytanz

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 10:16:05 AM
Also, "Terrible Lizard King" will be appearing at a hopefully familiar site soon.  I have broken the Pseudopod ceiling!  (A personal goal since May of 2009.)  I sent the contract back to Inara just a few days ago.  :-D

Congratulations!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 05:05:49 AM
AWESOMENESS!!!

Congrats, Mr. Scattercat!!!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 05:42:00 AM
Congrats, Mr. Scattercat!!!

Y'all were next on the list.  Pseudopod took that bullet for you; now you only have to listen if you want to.  ;-)

Thanks, guys!

goatkeeper

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:43:54 AM
Woot!
Wait'll we're able to start paying for Drabbles and watch that Duotrope rating climb fast.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 02:15:33 AM
My story "Metastasis" is up at Cast Macabre this week!  Barry's been around the forums, I know, so it's all nice and incestuous and suchlike.  ;-)

Whee!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:36:48 AM
The Broken Mirror Story Event draws to a merciful end and/or a glorious climax with my first-place entry, May He Reign Forever.  This story was workshopped right here on the forums, and I appreciate everyone's help in making it as good as it is (however good you perceive that to be.)

Let me know what you think, even (especially!) if you didn't like it for any reason.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:20:50 PM
The Broken Mirror Story Event draws to a merciful end and/or a glorious climax with my first-place entry, May He Reign Forever.  This story was workshopped right here on the forums, and I appreciate everyone's help in making it as good as it is (however good you perceive that to be.)

Let me know what you think, even (especially!) if you didn't like it for any reason.

I had a brain fart and read "worshipped right here on the forums".

I especially enjoyed that barbarian leader guy...  ::)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:02 PM
I especially enjoyed that barbarian leader guy...  ::)

I like his hair.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:03 PM
"Seasons in the Abyss" is finally available for purchase, containing my two shorts, "Turnaround" and "Harvest."  It's an anthology of horror flash fiction (max length 750 words) related to the four seasons.  You can buy a copy here, if you are at all interested.  I get paid exactly nothing when you do.  I haven't had a chance to read the other entries, so I can't rightly provide a meaningful review, but I can say that they rejected half of the stuff I sent them, which means there was definitely editing and filtering that happened.

If anyone else buys it, I'd be interested to compare notes.  (I'm buying a copy because my ego demands it, and the vet said I need to feed him a more varied diet.)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:34:07 AM
By the way, I'm in the running for the People's Choice Best Drabble award over at the Drabblecast.  I lack but one vote to tie the venerable Munsi for the honor!  (At the time of this writing, anyway.)

I don't know if vote-whoring is allowed, but darn it, I'm jealous of that boy's talent and wish to usurp him with all due haste. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 01:32:17 PM
April 25, 2011 - "Necessities" marks my debut in Daily Science Fiction (and pro-paying rates ZOMG).

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:34 AM
Concrete is now up at Abyss & Apex.  Hurry!  You only have 2.5 months before it disappears behind the paywall!!  :-P

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 04:26:09 PM
Congrats, Scattercat! Looking forward to reading it :)

nevermore_66

• Palmer
    • My Blog
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 05:38:40 PM
Congrats. I shall check it out before the wall devours it.

"There is no exquisite beauty…without some strangeness in the proportion."
~Edgar Allan Poe, "Ligeia"

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 02:25:39 PM
On April 25, my flash fiction "Necessities," critiqued here in this very forum, will appear in the e-mail feed of Daily Science Fiction (and will be on the website thereafter).

In May, the Journal of Unlikely Entomology will feature "The Cowboy, the Horse, and the Scorpion" in their inaugural issue.

Aaaaand the current issue of BULL SPEC features my prose poem "Snake Eyes."

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 02:32:17 PM
Also, glad to see people are reading (or intend to read)!  Just noting that I'm always thrilled to hear feedback, regardless of the relative positivity.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 10:57:31 AM
"Necessities" has shipped!  It's not up at the website yet, but Daily Science Fiction does most commentary on its Facebook page.  If you didn't sign up to DSF in time, you can read the story in the Crit Group here, or just wait a week for it to post to their site.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:08 AM
AND!  "As Fast As You Can" will be DSF's featured weekend story for May 13.  Mark your calendars and sign up for e-mail stories! 

(In all seriousness, I've found the convenience of the stories coming right to my Inbox has made DSF my most-read online magazine, whereas others tend to accumulate and get wiped out in long sessions of late-night boredom.)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 06:44:40 AM
My story The Cowboy, the Horse, and the Scorpion is now available at the Journal of Unlikely Entomology.  Both story and magazine basically do what they say on the tin.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 12:32:20 AM
"Boll Weevil" (a slightly expanded version of my entry into the Pseudopod fiction contest last year) has sold to the Parsec Triangulation anthology "Last Contact."  Publish date is July 23.  Mark your calendars!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 12:41:12 PM
Stephen Ramey has posted the teaser for "Boll Weevil" at his blog.  The anthology looks like a hoot so far; check out some of those other stories!

(Also I am secretly sad that my story got two "meh" votes out of four.  "Meh" is even worse than fiery hatred.)

---

Other "Boll Weevil" news!  It will also appear in audio on the Drabblecast sometime around the end of the year.  Double-sale!  Critical hit!  Roll damage!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:51:20 PM by Scattercat »