Escape Artists
November 23, 2017, 09:02:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FINAL ROUND of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which fantasy work do you like best?  (Voting closed: November 23, 2010, 01:33:17 PM)
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling - 5 (25%)
The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - 15 (75%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Championship!  (Read 13411 times)
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »

Well, I voted for LotR, because it is clearly the better classic Wink

But, I think that has more to do with the fact that LotR is an adult series, no matter the fact that many of us probably read it in our early teens. It definitely has more depth; literary, philosophical, social, etc.

On the other hand, HP is a children`s series, no matter the fact that many of us read it as adults Wink. So, of course it will be less heavy. How else are kids as young as 7 and 8 supposed to get it? And, aside from bringing Fantasy to the main stream, I think HP should also be lauded for bringing young kids (especially boys) to reading, and for paving the way for a whole range of new books geared to inquisitive and rambunctious kids (everything from Percy Jackson to Captain Underpants!). I remember the deserted landscape we had in terms of reading when I was 7, 8, and 9. Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys was about it! It wasn't until we moved to an area where the local librarian know about science fiction and fantasy that I discovered authors like John Christopher and Lloyd Alexander. These types of books just weren't in the main stream. So, I really value what HP has done for kids, kid's fiction, and the fantasy and sci-fi genre.  And I will certainly be giving the HP books to my kids in the future.

But, when they are a bit older, I will give them LotR Wink
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »

Heh. Yeah. But either way it looks like the Boy Who Lived is going to get his butt kicked.

Neville would have done it in four books.

(Every time I see that shirt, I am further tempted to just buy it already...)

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »

I remember the deserted landscape we had in terms of reading when I was 7, 8, and 9. Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys was about it!

Hey hey hey -- what are you saying? ND and HB aren't available anymore? A sad loss!! And don't forget The Three Investigators. Man, talk about classic literature  Wink  Grin

I read all of those (well, as many as were out at the time -- I know the landscape's a little wider now.) The Mystery of the Green Ghost scared the beejeezus outta me, as did the cover picture.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:37:46 PM by kibitzer » Logged

Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »

Oh, the Three Investigators!  I loved those books!  "Terror Castle" always creeped me out, for some reason.

---
birdless
Lochage

Five is right out.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 02:20:45 AM »

And don't forget The Three Investigators. Man, talk about classic literature  Wink  Grin

THANK you! I was trying to think of those, too, after the HB/ND reference!
Sgarre1
Editor

"Let There Be Fright!"

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 03:00:41 AM »

I still have almost all my original 3 Investigators  hardcovers (with those royal blue endpapers!).  Jupe's Hawaiian shirts were the best!
kibitzer
Hipparch

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »

I still have almost all my original 3 Investigators  hardcovers (with those royal blue endpapers!).  Jupe's Hawaiian shirts were the best!

Gold!

iamafish
Matross

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 08:52:29 PM »

I voted for LotR because, while HP has a really interesting story, Tolkein is far better writer Rowling, and he set a really impressive benchmark for high fantasy.

Also JRR when to my school...

CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 01:33:06 AM »

I remember the deserted landscape we had in terms of reading when I was 7, 8, and 9. Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys was about it!

Hey hey hey -- what are you saying? ND and HB aren't available anymore? A sad loss!! And don't forget The Three Investigators. Man, talk about classic literature  Wink  Grin

No, I think ND and HB are still going strong. My problem isn't with those series per se, but rather that there wasn't much else, back in the day. Now, the choices are much broader, and frankly more to my liking.
kibitzer
Hipparch

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »

And so it ends!

What, no further comments???

Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 11:14:16 PM »

I think the plate of beans has been thoroughly over-thought, K.

---
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »

I'd ment to give a celebratory post, but the holiday weekend caught up with me... :-)

So Congratulations to LotR, still the undisputed champion of fantasy works! 

Certainly it was the favorite all along, but I was by no means sure it would win.  There are a lot of great modern fantasy works out there, and I suspected one of Gaiman's might take the prize.  But in the end the masterwork got it's due.

I have no immediate plans for another poll series.  I don't feel qualified to do a horror novel poll, since my sampling in that area is quite small.  I may revisit films eventually for an SF film poll, but it will be a few months at least.  Feel free to beat me to it!
AliceNred
Peltast

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 01:03:16 AM »

While I remain firmly in the obviously correct camp, it is worth noting that Harry Potter is a lot more accessible than LotR and thus might be perceived as more enjoyable.  Many readers I know of found LotR to be a slog at times.  (Lord knows I skimmed parts of Two Towers and Return of the King.)

I think JRT was genus. He changed the world for many of us. That said, I think if it were published today, that it would be a different read, with aid of a more modern editor.

Pip and Mary were interchangeable. And then there is war that Bilbo was knocked out, therefore saving JRT from writing an action scene.

I say this as someone who spent MANY a happy hour playing D&D, was a member of SCA, and I know that many, many wonderful tales would not have been written without it. Some of prose is poetic.

HP is indeed a much easier to read. One reason HP is is a great read is Neville  Longbottom. I LOVED at the end of the first book where he is rewarded for standing up against his friends. Also, in book 7, he runs the rebels, and you can see where, yah, if HP had died, Neville would have and could stepped in.

There is real growth in most of the of HP characters.  And HP has so much you can get out of it, both lit wise and morality wise.

I love sucking the marrow out of a good story, and HP gives good marrow.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:12:43 AM by AliceNred » Logged

Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: