Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Championship!  (Read 27764 times)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:41 AM
I still have almost all my original 3 Investigators  hardcovers (with those royal blue endpapers!).  Jupe's Hawaiian shirts were the best!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:18 AM
I still have almost all my original 3 Investigators  hardcovers (with those royal blue endpapers!).  Jupe's Hawaiian shirts were the best!

Gold!

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 01:52:29 AM
I voted for LotR because, while HP has a really interesting story, Tolkein is far better writer Rowling, and he set a really impressive benchmark for high fantasy.

Also JRR when to my school...

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 06:33:06 AM
I remember the deserted landscape we had in terms of reading when I was 7, 8, and 9. Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys was about it!

Hey hey hey -- what are you saying? ND and HB aren't available anymore? A sad loss!! And don't forget The Three Investigators. Man, talk about classic literature  ;)  ;D

No, I think ND and HB are still going strong. My problem isn't with those series per se, but rather that there wasn't much else, back in the day. Now, the choices are much broader, and frankly more to my liking.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 02:25:13 AM
And so it ends!

What, no further comments???

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 04:14:16 AM
I think the plate of beans has been thoroughly over-thought, K.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 06:33:51 PM
I'd ment to give a celebratory post, but the holiday weekend caught up with me... :-)

So Congratulations to LotR, still the undisputed champion of fantasy works! 

Certainly it was the favorite all along, but I was by no means sure it would win.  There are a lot of great modern fantasy works out there, and I suspected one of Gaiman's might take the prize.  But in the end the masterwork got it's due.

I have no immediate plans for another poll series.  I don't feel qualified to do a horror novel poll, since my sampling in that area is quite small.  I may revisit films eventually for an SF film poll, but it will be a few months at least.  Feel free to beat me to it!

AliceNred

• Peltast
Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03:16 AM
While I remain firmly in the obviously correct camp, it is worth noting that Harry Potter is a lot more accessible than LotR and thus might be perceived as more enjoyable.  Many readers I know of found LotR to be a slog at times.  (Lord knows I skimmed parts of Two Towers and Return of the King.)

I think JRT was genus. He changed the world for many of us. That said, I think if it were published today, that it would be a different read, with aid of a more modern editor.

Pip and Mary were interchangeable. And then there is war that Bilbo was knocked out, therefore saving JRT from writing an action scene.

I say this as someone who spent MANY a happy hour playing D&D, was a member of SCA, and I know that many, many wonderful tales would not have been written without it. Some of prose is poetic.

HP is indeed a much easier to read. One reason HP is is a great read is Neville  Longbottom. I LOVED at the end of the first book where he is rewarded for standing up against his friends. Also, in book 7, he runs the rebels, and you can see where, yah, if HP had died, Neville would have and could stepped in.

There is real growth in most of the of HP characters.  And HP has so much you can get out of it, both lit wise and morality wise.

I love sucking the marrow out of a good story, and HP gives good marrow.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:12:43 AM by AliceNred »

Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.