Author Topic: PodCastle Special: The Alphabet Quartet (A Primer)  (Read 5726 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
PodCastle Special: The Alphabet Quartet (A Primer)

by Tim Pratt, Jenn Reese, Heather Shaw, and Greg van Eekhout

Featuring:

“D is for De Gustibus,” read by Norm Sherman (of The Drabblecast).

“F is for Flotsam,” read by Dave Thompson.

“L is for Luminous,” read by Rish Outfield (of The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine)

“N is for Nevermore Nevermore Land,” read by Mur Lafferty (the Mighty, MIGHTY)

Be sure and check out Escape Pod and Pseudopod for other free Alphabet Quartet stories. While your at it, visit Daily Science Fiction, where you can read the all the original Alphabet Quartet stories, and get free SF/F stories delivered to your email, um, daily.

See you all July 1st!

Rated PG: Contains flash grenades
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:17:27 PM by Ocicat »

eytanz

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:25:40 PM
See you all July 1st![/i]

Huh? Is podcastle going on hiatus or something?

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:32:27 PM
See you all July 1st![/i]

Huh? Is podcastle going on hiatus or something?

No. The release date of the full Alphabet Quartet is July 1st (happy Canada Day!). So, it's the Alphabet Quartet, not Dave himself (and the rest) that will see you then.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:49:07 PM
Yes, sorry for the confusion. We're just giving you four extra pieces of flash this week (6 if you listen to EP and PP - COMING SOON!) and we'll be back with our regularly scheduled episode Tuesday. Hopefully, the extra stories are a treat :)

Also - a huge special extra thanks to Wilson Fowlie, who did the editing for all these Alphabet Quartet promos. He's a hero, and awesome and a half, folks.

eytanz

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:05:08 PM
*whew*

And thanks for the bonus stories! I'm very much looking forward to listening to them :)

(And to the whole book on 1 July, though depending on how you determine whether I've been a paid subscriber since January, I may not qualify)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:25:45 PM
Oh, just to clarify: The January 1, 2011 deadline was/is for one-time donors of $50 or more.

So if you're currently a paid subscriber (again, to any of the podcasts), this is for you :)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:45:44 PM
yippee!  ;D

thank you!

jenfullmoon

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:19:47 PM
I got a kick out of "Luminous."

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:30:58 AM
I've been reading these on DSF. Most of the stories have been absolutely great. Some of them were just kinda weird. But hey... TIM PRATT Y'ALL!

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Calculating...

• Palmer
  • Too much knowledge never makes for simple decision
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:22:51 AM
Loved these! Flotsam and Nevermore Land were definitely my favorites so far. Thanks for sharing them!

I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on you'll do as I tell you, okay?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 02:10:24 PM
I've heard D and F elsewhere, so I'll just comment on the remaining two.

"L is for Luminous" was fun.  At first it seemed that the angel was punishing them for their tendency towards crime, but the turn at the end, where they used the luminosity for criminal means gave a nice subversion of expectations.  The idea of feral angels is hilarious and fun.  Neat story.  :)

"N is for Nevermore Nevermore Land" was quite fun as well.  I liked the somewhat confused mashup of literary tropes, with Never Never Land and the Nevermore raven.  It also seemed like it was mixing in a bit of Dumbo with the magic feather that allows you to fly.  (I suppose one could say it's a Super Mario World reference, but that wouldn't seem quite right!).  I thought it was hilarious when the raven was trying to convince her to come and live with all the Goths in a dank crypt, and I liked the girl's practical response "Why would I want to live in a dank crypt?"  It started out as if it were the beginning to an other-world fantasy like Coraline or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, so I liked that she refused the call when it was offered to her.