Author Topic: Pseudopod 214: Wendigo  (Read 21487 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: November 26, 2010, 11:02:24 PM
Pseudopod 214: Wendigo

By Micaela Morrissette, managing editor of Conjunctions

Read by The Word Whore, of Air Out My Shorts

Her elegant companion invited her to accompany him to the grocery store, and she accepted. “Dress warmly,” he counseled. He drove for hours in the dark, the headlights spinning uncertainly off the broken curbs, the sharp teeth of the stoops, the strobing telephone poles. The supermarket was in a bad neighborhood, but vast, swallowing several city blocks. Homeless were encamped at the intersections of the aisles. They each took a cart and moved quickly to the meat department, looking neither left nor right. The meat department was a gargantuan walk-in refrigerator: the space so enormous and the cold mist so dense that she could not see from one wall to the opposite. They did not leave each other’s sides. They did not speak or touch. They filled their carts: chicken, goat, bear, salmon, pork, lamb, conch, squab, rabbit, shark, beef, veal, turkey, eel, venison, duck, mussels, ostrich, frogs, pheasant, squirrel, seal. Tripe, kidneys, liver, tongue, and brains. She suggested the purchase of some lemons and marinade; he reproved her cordially.

Full text available here, from Weird Tales magazine

Sponsored this week by Audible.com and METAtropolis: Cascadia, the provocative sequel to the highly acclaimed METAtropolis series, featuring interconnected stories by today’s top science fiction writers, performed by a galaxy of Star Trek ® stars. Download a free introductory chapter and find the complete book at http://www.audible.com/meta

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:41:01 AM
Gross.  Interesting but gross.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

yaksox

• Palmer
    • sunny breaks
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:10:28 PM
I know not everyone can stomach stories that are this adjective-rich but I can.
Not sure if I can say the whole thing was consistently great but there were flashes of brilliance, or at least bits I connected with like the toothpaste bits.
After the scene where they were eating the host I starting thinking a lot of The Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:13:53 AM
Why is everyone always so horrified by the idea of eating human flesh?  Obviously, one doesn't want to make a habit of it, what with the risk of neurological diseases or parasites, but I have a hard time feeling any visceral loathing about it, which is always what these sorts of stories rely on for their tension.  I'd be a lot more horrified about something involving eating feces or pus, something disease-ridden and legitimately disgusting.

The writing was fun, but it went on a little too long for my tastes.  Once it became clear that it was one of those meandering imagery-heavy stories, we mostly just sat around and waited for her to get eaten.  I did approve of the subversion of that particular trope with her being deemed "not delicious enough."  Kind of a "Yeah, okay," story.

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:28:28 AM
Loved the story, loved the reading, really didn't like the writing. Just far too rich and overdone. I like beautiful descriptions and imagery, but I think they need to be more subtle. It just felt a little forced and overdone for my liking, which slightly ruined a really awesome story. I've only been listening for a couple of week, but this is my fav so far, especially from the point of view of the story.

kingNOR

• Extern
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:39:58 AM
Had to stop this one.  I've got a pretty tough stomach, but I was having trouble hearing the story for the elaborate descriptions of desiccated flesh.

Gorbash

• Extern
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:14:58 AM
I'll grant that the story had some weaknesses, particularly in the character of her companion who irritated me every time he showed up,  but I absolutely loved the dreamlike reading by the Word Whore - from the start, I was willing to just let the story wash over me.  I've been an AOMS listener for a long long time, but this is the best I've ever heard from her.

I'm afraid I didn't get the ending though?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:34:39 AM

You followed better than I did, then. The whole story was lost on me.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 01:35:27 AM
Not quite finished but so far, this has a pretty high squick factor. The writing produces the effect of many sensations overlaying each other which I think is what they're going for.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:51 AM

You followed better than I did, then. The whole story was lost on me.

Their love of her is self-love, fundamentally grasping and greedy rather than wholesome and giving, just as their desire to be eaten is selfish rather than altruistic.  She realizes this after deluding herself for a long time that her desire to give of herself was a generous impulse.  Such a love is ultimately self-defeating.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 04:14:16 AM
Their love of her is self-love, fundamentally grasping and greedy rather than wholesome and giving, just as their desire to be eaten is selfish rather than altruistic.  She realizes this after deluding herself for a long time that her desire to give of herself was a generous impulse.  Such a love is ultimately self-defeating.

Uh... okay. I'll take your word for it.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 04:31:13 AM
I loved this one. It was disgusting and delicious.

Seriously, though, this one was great. It has that quality of great horror of being totally inexplicable and horrible, but in a way that's pervasive, creeping, rather than simply inconsistent. It contrasted nicely with Hexagon, which I thought was merely inconsistent. I enjoyed the vague sense that the narrator was now other than human, with the details gradually falling into place, but the true nature of her new condition never really emerging. The fact that I never really understood what was going on added to the horror, but the details (the plethora of awful, awful details) created a sense of horror nonetheless.

And I'm trying to lose weight, you know. Good story for that.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 03:38:22 PM
The writing in this one was pretty much impenetrable.  After several minutes went by, I thought to myself "What has happened so far?" and all I could come up with was "They're having a meal, with excruciating detail."    Under-describing can make a setting vague and generic, but over-describing just makes my mind wander, especially when the meaning of the description is so unclear.  Why go to such depth to tell me that things glowed but specifically did not glitter, and then go on and on about it?

And then after 10 minutes or so of nothing much happening in many words, she yanks the guy's deteriorating finger off.  Which was weird, but not so weird as when she suddenly and inexplicably decided to eat it?  Even if you are a cannibal, don't you think you ought to consider avoiding eating the flesh of someone whose fingers are falling off on their own?  That sounds a bit like leprosy, and I'm pretty sure that eating leprous flesh is not good for you, though I'm waiting for the FDA's official findings to draw any firm conclusions on the matter.  After she chose to eat his finger I really had no sympathy for her deteriorating condition--if you eat what she ate, you don't have much room to complain about any sort of medical condition you end up with.

Shortly after I decided to give up on the story.  Cannibalism usually really creeps me out, but that wasn't really my sticking point here, it was more the overdescription of every detail and the fact that I had no sympathy for the characters who apparently had no sense of self-preservation.

Grrlwriter

• Extern
    • Grrlwriter
Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:00:18 PM
I'm hoping that I make it through to the end of this one - kudos to Pseudopod for posting a story that quite literally turned my stomach so much I had to stop listening mid story!  And for helping me realize that apparently cannibalism freaks me out in a really big way.  I wonder what hidden neuroses will be uncovered next...   ;D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:29:05 PM
I'm hoping that I make it through to the end of this one - kudos to Pseudopod for posting a story that quite literally turned my stomach so much I had to stop listening mid story!  And for helping me realize that apparently cannibalism freaks me out in a really big way.  I wonder what hidden neuroses will be uncovered next...   ;D

I'm guessing... a fear of hamsters!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 06:09:13 PM
The cannibalism aspect didn't bother me in the slightest. I just didn't care for losing 40 minutes on a pointless story.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 01:39:57 AM
Seems to me the story was a sensual excess, which in some ways is what a Wendigo is about. Whilst they're gaunt, emaciated and rotting, they're also greedy, gluttonous and can never get enough. That suggests a veering between lean gauntness and bloated excess, something I think the story conveyed in the heavily detailed descriptions. On the one hand, exotic feasts; on the other, a bag of shrimp. On the one hand, her suave yet damaged companion; on the other the simple workmate.

The Far Stairs

• Peltast
    • A Thousand Lifetimes in an Hour
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 09:25:03 PM
The cannibalism was pretty gross, but not because they were eating human flesh. It was more the elaborate way it was described. The author could have described eating grapes or doing laundry in that florid, super-ultimate-descriptive style and it would have been just as gross. It was like someone tying you to a chair and forcing you to eat adjectives until you puked. At times, I pictured the author being held at knifepoint by a maniac panting "More words. More words. Use bigger ones. Yes. You know how I like it."

I have to agree with the prevailing sentiment that the style killed the story. There was an interesting idea buried in there somewhere, but it was pretty much unrecognizable. I was in Mississippi for Thanksgiving, and there's a vine there called kudzu which some unsuspecting Southerner imported from Japan years ago not realizing it would spread like wildfire and swallow the entire landscape; this story reminded me of the rocks and/or small bushes which appear only as shapeless bumps in the mass of tangled vines. I could sense something under all that verbiage which might potentially have involved me in the events of the characters' lives, but I just couldn't grab hold of it. It didn't help that the characters were nameless; that conceit, for me, rarely adds to a story, and often comes across as pretentious. Are they too fabulous and mystical to have names? Are we just not cool enough to know their names? I guess maybe our awe at the heroine's uncommon sensitivity might be diminished if we knew her name was "Shirley." They all seem to drift through a shimmering world of intense meaning which has little to do with our world. Do they really always "lunge" when they move forward? Do they always "grasp" or "grip" instead of just hold things or pick them up? Do they constantly tremble with unspoken desire and never have trouble with bus schedules?

I guess maybe some people feel at home in that world and enjoy hearing about it, but I don't. Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but that kind of writing bugs me. I don't get horror from it, because it bears no resemblance to my experiences. In order to feel horror, I need some kind of grounding in reality; the banal details of the everyday are just as important as the fantastic outlandish events because they provide contrast and that sense of shock when the scary stuff does occur. Take Episode 209, "Corvus Curse," which I thought was brilliant: there's such an underlying humanity to that story that even when completely ridiculous things happen, you can still put yourself in the narrator's place and feel his surprise, pain, and loss. More stories like that, please!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:28:30 PM by JesseLivingston »

Jesse Livingston
Head of Historical Archives
The Far Stairs
www.athousandlifetimes.com

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 09:52:58 PM
I like heavy style.  I speak/think in elaborate metaphors to begin with...

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 01:04:48 AM
how elaborate are they?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:07:55 AM
how elaborate are they?
As baroque and filigreed as a faberge egg sculptor's laudanum-induced fever-dreams.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:40 PM
It didn't help that the characters were nameless; that conceit, for me, rarely adds to a story, and often comes across as pretentious. Are they too fabulous and mystical to have names? Are we just not cool enough to know their names? I guess maybe our awe at the heroine's uncommon sensitivity might be diminished if we knew her name was "Shirley."

I wondered that too.  I wonder what the author had in mind when making the choice to keep them nameless?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 05:09:21 PM
It didn't help that the characters were nameless; that conceit, for me, rarely adds to a story, and often comes across as pretentious. Are they too fabulous and mystical to have names? Are we just not cool enough to know their names? I guess maybe our awe at the heroine's uncommon sensitivity might be diminished if we knew her name was "Shirley."

I wondered that too.  I wonder what the author had in mind when making the choice to keep them nameless?

No one has any names when you're speaking in Literature.  The grammar of Literature is not an easy one.

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 07:50:56 PM
I'm really bored of the no-name stories; they seem to pop up more and more. I get the impression it's meant to give the story a timeless, universal significance, or something, but I just find it makes it hard to connect to or picture the people in the story. I didn't finish listening to this one as I just could not get into it.

Hafwit

• Extern
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 10:23:33 PM
That was beautiful and hypnotic (as well as a bit squicky). The Word Whore's voice fit this one perfectly.

"There is no safety in numbers, or in anything else." -- James Thurber