Author Topic: We Can't Clone Heradel, But We'll Raise an Ocicat and a Talia!  (Read 6045 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
I'm sad to say Bill Peters (Heradel) has asked to step down as PodCastle's mod. Not because of anything bad - quite the contrary, because of a lot of awesome. He's been working like a madman over at Escape Pod, and smartly realized that since he doesn't have a time turner, he'd need to let something go, and that something is moderating PC.

On the one hand, Anna and I were stoked for all the cool stuff Bill's working on. On the other hand, ALAS. Bill is freaking awesome to work with. Who could rise in his stead, and wield Mighty Mjolnir the way Bill did? No single human could do that!

Well, the answer is: not one but two people! We've asked both Ocicat and Talia to don their capes and cowls, and take to the night, a dynamic duo of mods at PodCastle. We had Mjolnir cloned, you see, which we can totally do at PodCastle, because if the cloned item retains all its memories (and yes, Mjolnir does have memories. If you read the Ultimate line, I think...), everyone knows that's NOT how cloning actually works, so since it's not SF, it must be Fantasy...

Heh. Okay, getting a little carried away. Sorry. The point is that Talia and Ocicat will now be your new mods here at PodCastle, and Anna and I are both thrilled to have them aboard. They're gonna be awesome. So please give them a mighty welcome.

Also - personally, I want to give a shout out to Bill for everything he's done here at PodCastle. He's set the bar really high with eveyrthing he's done since the inception of PodCastle, weathering some insane storms, and was incredibly cool welcoming both Anna and I as editors. Thanks for all your hard work, sir. It's been a pleasure working with you!

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:50:46 PM
I was beginning to wonder if Heradel did have a Time Turner, he was getting so much done around here!  If not, I can at least wish him a Tina Turner.

Thanks to Bill and thanks in advance :) to Ocicat and Talia!

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 01:51:43 AM
"We can't clone Heradel..." Well, that's just defeatist talk. You certainly won't with an attitude like that!

Thanks Bill, good to know you're only an ARM's length away.

And welcome Ocicat and Talia! I, for one, welcome our new overlords and look forward to your benevolent and munificent reign!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:22:27 AM
benevolent

And there's your first mistake..

*sinister, maniacal laughter fills the air as dramatic, dissonant music swells out of nowhere*

Wait a minute, wrong podcast. *slaps self*

Carry on, nothing to see here.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:56:28 AM
*sinister, maniacal laughter fills the air as dramatic, dissonant music swells out of nowhere*

Yeah.  You watch yourself.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 07:19:35 PM

Yeah.  You watch yourself.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again: this forum needs Like buttons. :)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:31:41 AM
Thanks everybody (and especially to Dave for the kind words). Sorry I didn't post here earlier, but I had to get this month's Soundproof up. Which in and of itself is a fairly good demonstration of the fact that I was getting a bit too busy to moderate the Podcastle forums like they should be moderated. I'm also fairly firmly on the editorial side of the line now, and I think it's probably for the best that moderators not be editors, even for one of the other 'casts. I'm quite glad that Podcastle's forums are being left in the supremely worthy and capable hands of Talia and Ocicat. I just hope they remember to feed Mjolnir on alternate Fridays, because it gets ornery otherwise.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:00:48 AM
No one wants orney Mjolnirs.  Least of all me.

Uh... what does Mjolnir eat, anyway?

And why do I think I don't want to know?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:29:03 PM
Well, at least Bill won't have gone far, we can always see him over at the EP, though it is the end of an era here.

Congrats to Talia and Ocicat for your promotion to become our evil overlords, er, moderators.  :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:05:09 PM
My favorite moment involving Mjolnir is when Ghost Rider fought all the Champions because Johnny Blaze forgot to take his Prozac for a week, and Thor laughs off the cold touch of hellfire and throws Mjolnir at GR, and so he rides his flame-cycle away at top speed until Mjolnir's "return to Thor's hand" power kicks in, at which point the Ghost Rider grabs the handle and, with his motorcycle, rides Mjolnir back to Thor and  uses the momentum to give Thor a motorcycle punch.  That was a great scene.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 05:32:42 PM
You know I never put it all together until this thread, but I will now always refer to Heradel as Beta Ray Bill Peters in my mind:

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 08:39:28 PM
My favorite moment involving Mjolnir is when Ghost Rider fought all the Champions because Johnny Blaze forgot to take his Prozac for a week, and Thor laughs off the cold touch of hellfire and throws Mjolnir at GR, and so he rides his flame-cycle away at top speed until Mjolnir's "return to Thor's hand" power kicks in, at which point the Ghost Rider grabs the handle and, with his motorcycle, rides Mjolnir back to Thor and  uses the momentum to give Thor a motorcycle punch.  That was a great scene.

I need this comic.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 10:38:47 PM
My favorite moment involving Mjolnir is when Ghost Rider fought all the Avengers because Johnny Blaze forgot to take his Prozac for a week, and Thor laughs off the cold touch of hellfire and throws Mjolnir at GR, and so he rides his flame-cycle away at top speed until Mjolnir's "return to Thor's hand" power kicks in, at which point the Ghost Rider grabs the handle and, with his motorcycle, rides Mjolnir back to Thor and  uses the momentum to give Thor a motorcycle punch.  That was a great scene.

I need this comic.

It's Avengers #214, and a B&W version is in the Ghost Rider collected softback books.  The "Essentials" series.