Author Topic: PodCastle authors who make you squee  (Read 9731 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: December 06, 2010, 12:26:24 PM
Are there authors you particularly like hearing on PodCastle? Authors who get you excited about an episode as soon as you see his or her name on the byline? Please share!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:38:18 PM by Talia »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:31:42 PM
Tim Pratt!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:45 PM
I feel like all of these threads should probably have had an (Other than Tim Pratt) exemption.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

eytanz

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:21:08 PM
I feel like all of these threads should probably have had an (Other than Tim Pratt) exemption.

Well, as much as I like Tim Pratt's writing - and I really do - I also feel he's been oversaturated. I like variety in my audio podcasts, and between the EA podcasts and Drabblecast, I probably got 3-4 times more Tim Pratt than any other writer.

Honestly, I can't really think of any writer that would qualify to me. There are quite a few authors (Tim Pratt included) which make me quite happy when I see their name on the byline, because I know the story will be good. But the most exciting thing, as opposed to simply pleasing, is when I learn about a great author that's new to me, and whenever I see someone's name I'm familiar with, I get slightly disappointed that that's not going to happen.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:06:44 PM
I don't mind the plethora of Prattness, because I tend to enjoy his stuff tremendously. It's not my perception that he writes in any one particular style, so its not like we're hearing a ton of very similar stories.

For me, the well-liked and familiar is more exciting than the new. It's an emotional investment thing.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:12:00 PM
Honestly, I can't really think of any writer that would qualify to me. There are quite a few authors (Tim Pratt included) which make me quite happy when I see their name on the byline, because I know the story will be good. But the most exciting thing, as opposed to simply pleasing, is when I learn about a great author that's new to me, and whenever I see someone's name I'm familiar with, I get slightly disappointed that that's not going to happen.

I understand that. I feel like I've discovered a ton of writers (Tim Pratt included) thanks to Escape Artists. I'm curious to hear what other authors listeners have discovered due to these podcasts.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:56 PM
(besides Pratt)

For the squee, I would say Eugie Foster, Greg van Eekhout, Ann Leckie, Hillary Moon Murphy, Daniel Abraham, and Rhys Hughes.

Honorable mentions are: Will McIntosh, M.K. Hobson, and Peter S. Beagle.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:59:59 PM
Eugie Foster is one that I more or less discovered through the EA podcasts, and I'm quite glad I did.  Tim Pratt, too, though Drabblecast helped cement him in my mind.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 12:55:25 AM
Greg van Eekhout.  Tina Conolly.  Samantha Henderson.  Marie Brennan.  Eugie Foster.  Probably a bunch of others who don't come to mind because there's no easy list of PodCastle authors up like there is for Escape Pod.

Also that guy Tim Pratt's written a bunch of cool stories.  Has anyone mentioned him yet?

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 03:18:36 AM
Not surprisingly most of my favorites have been covered already, but I will add Jeffrey Ford and Benjamin Rosenbaum. :)

BlueLu

• Palmer
    • www.lenacoakley.com
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:10:24 PM
Elizabeth Bear, NK Jemisin and...um...some Tim guy.  (Guess I wasn't the only one blubbing through Little Gods.)

Lena

Hinzelmann

• Extern
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 03:58:21 AM
Tim Pratt, duh. Kelly Link and Hal Duncan have only appeared once each but if s/he appears again I will go insane from awesome. Eugie Foster. Benjamin Rosenbaum. Sarah Monette. M. frickin K. frakkin Hobson. =D =D =D

Anyway, they're all awesome and make me immediately joyful when I see their bylines.

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:22:54 PM
This year, I was most excited to see Nick Mamatas in the 'Castle, but Greg van Eekhout has definitely earned his squee-ness and both Lord Dunsany and William Hope Hodgson were exciting ghosts to see rising this year.  I seriously let out some kind of audible noise to see Hodgson here, he is one of my favorite authors.

Also, there's this Tim Pratt guy  ;)

NoraReed

• Extern
  • No pomo.
Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 06:30:54 AM
Benjamin Rosenbaum, Kij Johnson and Ann Leckie's stuff in the Nalendar universe are the ones that I get really excited about.

And if I may make a narrator comment, Mary Robinette Kowal nails it for me every time. It's partially because she's a really good voice actor and partially because her voice is so soothing. I've listened to most of her episodes so many times I have portions of them memorized because there's something about her voice. It soothes the soul like slippery elm soothes a sore throat.

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 07:53:40 AM
having been through a fair bit of the archive, I now feel myself qualified to answer this question

I'm a big fan of Amal El-Mohtar, Tim Pratt and/or Heather Shaw, Daniel Abraham, M.K (friggin) Hobson, Greg Van Eekhout and probably a few others :P

Reginod

• Extern
Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 03:07:21 AM
For me it’s Tim Pratt, Greg van Eekhout, Garth Nix, Amal El-Motar,  Rachel Swirsky, Holly Black, and Vylar Kaftan (and probably several I am missing – this list keeps getting longer the more I think about it).

Though to be fully honest, I also get very excited when I see a name I’ve never heard before (epically if it’s one I’ve never read before).  I love knowing I could be finding out about a whole new set of stories to read, a whole new author to explore.

epilonious

• Extern
  • My hat. It is pretty.
    • My Podcasts and Wramblings
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 05:16:54 PM
Eugie Foster.

She made me sign up for donations.

I still occasionally listen to Tanuki Kettle to get me past a bad mood.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
 Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
 Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
 Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it
 -- Omar Khayyam

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 02:56:42 PM
Amal El-Motar and Tina Connolly. Both as readers and authors. I range between enjoyment and delight with all of their work. I have sought out their stuff in the back catalog, and have moved all of them higher in my queue. I would probably also include the usual suspects, but I'm still working my way through the extensive library.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

indiecowgirl

• Palmer
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 03:12:17 AM
Tim Pratt, Saladin Ahmed, Greg van Eekhout, Ben Burgis, Rajan Khanna, Vylar Kaften, and Daniel Abraham just to name a few.