Author Topic: PC135: California King  (Read 9960 times)

yicheng

• Matross
Re: PC135: California King
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
I may have missed something with this story.  What was so magical about the tattoos?

My opinions on the story was mixed.  I liked the characterization, but the perspective switching at the beginning and near the end was a bit jarring and didn't really make much sense (especially given the amount of internal dialog we are apparently witnessing).  I felt the father-son dichotomy would have been interesting if taken further and evolved, but evil-father/rebellious-son enmity felt a bit too cliche and forced.  If there was more to the story, I think it would have made for some nice flavor, but have it the entire story centered on this theme just felt really preachy to me, like the author's trying to shove a metaphor down our throats.  See, the grandfather's the Guvmint and "The Man", and we're fighting him because we want the world to be different, but see the little kid's the next generation, man, and they're just seeing the messed world that we're going to leave them... man...  And the cats in the craddle and silver spoons, Little boy blue and the man in the moon.   Okay, we get it!

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
I may have missed something with this story.  What was so magical about the tattoos?

The King stole an aspect of the person, like their voice or their vision or something, when he tattooed himself.  Whether he was able to use that aspect, I don't fully recall - I think not, but I'm really not sure - but the person could not.
"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

eytanz

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
Ok, (still) catching up on my huge backlog...

It seems that I'm slightly in the minority here, but I really loved this story. I didn't love everything about it - I don't normally object to profanity but in this story the king's "song" irritated me as it did not really seem to be very much in line with the rest of it - but practically everything else was great. It reminded me in several ways of Tim Power's "Last Call", one of my favourite novels. 

I don't think I agree with Dave's characterisation of this as a superhero story - it's really more of a myth; I guess the lines between the two aren't always very clear but superhero stories tend to be read as taking place in their own world, while mythology is about the relationship between the fantasy world and the real world.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
It seems that I'm slightly in the minority here, but I really loved this story. I didn't love everything about it - I don't normally object to profanity but in this story the king's "song" irritated me as it did not really seem to be very much in line with the rest of it

I loved the king's song. I sing it to myself sometimes. My wife is not amused.
Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »
It seems that I'm slightly in the minority here, but I really loved this story. I didn't love everything about it - I don't normally object to profanity but in this story the king's "song" irritated me as it did not really seem to be very much in line with the rest of it

I loved the king's song. I sing it to myself sometimes. My wife is not amused.

So do I!

My wife is not amused, either.

My kids, on the other hand...Okay, I don't sing it to them, either. Only in the car. By myself.

I wonder what people in the other lanes are thinking  ???

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »

Dude... they're singing the same thing!

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 03:00:22 AM »
I dunno about you, but I try to weird out as many opposing drivers as possible, it makes it easier to outmaneuver them.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Balu

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
Wow. Great story.

From the street level tableaux at the beginning to the shattered fourth wall at the end this one rocked and fucking rolled.

And I use that word advisedly. I've always kind of skipped over Podcastle, foolishly believing that it would all be unicorns and pixie dust and dream singing moon drops.

If I hadn't spotted the friendly face of the fuck word I'd have carried on living in ignorance and missed out on a hell of a lot. As it is, back catalogue here I come!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »
Wow. Great story.

From the street level tableaux at the beginning to the shattered fourth wall at the end this one rocked and fucking rolled.

And I use that word advisedly. I've always kind of skipped over Podcastle, foolishly believing that it would all be unicorns and pixie dust and dream singing moon drops.

If I hadn't spotted the friendly face of the fuck word I'd have carried on living in ignorance and missed out on a hell of a lot. As it is, back catalogue here I come!

Oh, we like to say fuck. A lot.

Glad you decided to give us a shot.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »

Yeah, you should have heard the language in "Squonk and the Horde of Apprentices!" ;)
"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »

Yeah, you should have heard the language in "Squonk and the Horde of Apprentices!" ;)

It was pretty horrible.
---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

Devoted135

• Hipparch
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 04:30:46 PM »
*headdesk*  ::) :D

Balu

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »
[/quote]

And now I have.

Thanks for that  ;)