Author Topic: PC136: The Christmas Mummy  (Read 22374 times)

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 11:10:04 PM
Humorous.  I got a few chuckles out of it.  Personally, I didn't think it was as good as the past Murr stories for Christmas.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 03:23:16 AM
Personally, I didn't think it was as good as the past Murr stories for Christmas.

Actually, Podcastle has never really run a Christmas story before!  It's Escape Pod that had the tradition of Mur written Christmas yarns...  Of course, now that Mur is the editor of EP, I don't think she'll be buying any Christmas stories from herself.  So maybe she'll submit one to Podcastle next year...

J.T. Evans

• Extern
    • J. T. Evans
Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 04:07:30 AM
This story could have been read by Ben Stein and still been entertaining. However, the great voice work of Rish was the extra kick the story needed to turn normal coffee into the hilarious Irish coffee that the dad loved so much.

Fantastic work to all, and thanks to the PodCastle team for bringing this story to us.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 03:56:09 AM
Listened to this one again just last night, this time with my wife. Pure pleasure! And it was wonderful to share it with someone.

eytanz

Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 03:30:10 PM
Pure lighthearted joy. As J. T. Evans said above, this story didn't need a great reading to be entertaining, but it got a great reading, which just made it much more delightful.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 09:21:38 PM
Personally, I didn't think it was as good as the past Murr stories for Christmas.

Actually, Podcastle has never really run a Christmas story before!  It's Escape Pod that had the tradition of Mur written Christmas yarns...  Of course, now that Mur is the editor of EP, I don't think she'll be buying any Christmas stories from herself.  So maybe she'll submit one to Podcastle next year...

I believe I remember someone suggesting that EP run Steve Eley Christmas stories every year, since Mur was now the editor...

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

eytanz

Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 01:32:04 PM
I believe I remember someone suggesting that EP run Steve Eley Christmas stories every year, since Mur was now the editor...

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Steve Eley is writing fiction these days.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 07:44:49 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Steve Eley is writing fiction these days.

Be that as it may, it would be a nice role reversal.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Rishoutfield

• Extern
Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 11:02:36 PM
I really appreciate the compliments about my narration.  Maybe the lisp was a little annoying, but it's what I chose to do so the kids wouldn't sound alike.

I'm used to the full-cast type of readings, so when faced with the challenge of voicing several characters at once, I tried to determine how each would speak, and make them sound identifiably different from one another.

I'm my own harshest critic, however, so I hope I get another chance to read a story, to see if I can fix the flaws I picked up on when I listened to it.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 11:07:16 PM
I really appreciate the compliments about my narration.  Maybe the lisp was a little annoying, but it's what I chose to do so the kids wouldn't sound alike.

I'm used to the full-cast type of readings, so when faced with the challenge of voicing several characters at once, I tried to determine how each would speak, and make them sound identifiably different from one another.

I'm my own harshest critic, however, so I hope I get another chance to read a story, to see if I can fix the flaws I picked up on when I listened to it.

I've got to tell you, Rish (and not just because you did an excellent job with my The Invisible Kingdom on the Dunesteef *cough* shameless self promotion *cough*), but I always enjoy your narration. You have a remarkably flexible voice and you do wonderful things with it on a regular basis. Not only do you regularly produce a brilliant full cast audio fiction podcast, stories narrated by you alone sound almost exactly like full cast themselves. You're really good.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:29 PM

I've got to tell you, Rish (and not just because you did an excellent job with my The Invisible Kingdom on the Dunesteef *cough* shameless self promotion *cough*), but I always enjoy your narration. You have a remarkably flexible voice and you do wonderful things with it on a regular basis. Not only do you regularly produce a brilliant full cast audio fiction podcast, stories narrated by you alone sound almost exactly like full cast themselves. You're really good.

Indeed.  While I didn't like the lisp in this particular situation, in general I think Rish is one of the best narrators/voice actors around, particularly in terms of flexibility and variety.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 12:34:06 AM

Indeed.  While I didn't like the lisp in this particular situation, in general I think Rish is one of the best narrators/voice actors around, particularly in terms of flexibility and variety.

Here. Here.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 01:40:42 AM
I really appreciate the compliments about my narration.  Maybe the lisp was a little annoying, but it's what I chose to do so the kids wouldn't sound alike.

I'm actually a little jealous of your versatility! It ain't easy for one person to get character differentiation in a story like that -- you made it sound easy. Masterfully done!

Also... I keep hearing of this "Dunesteef" thing. Maybe I should check it out...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 02:11:28 AM
I really appreciate the compliments about my narration.  Maybe the lisp was a little annoying, but it's what I chose to do so the kids wouldn't sound alike.

I'm actually a little jealous of your versatility! It ain't easy for one person to get character differentiation in a story like that -- you made it sound easy. Masterfully done!

Also... I keep hearing of this "Dunesteef" thing. Maybe I should check it out...

The most recent two stories are super-awesome!!!!!11eleven

(Note: One is mine and one is my buddy ElectricPaladin's, in case people weren't paying attention.  Mark's is pretty rad, though.)

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 02:15:35 AM

The most recent two stories are super-awesome!!!!!11eleven

(Note: One is mine and one is my buddy ElectricPaladin's, in case people weren't paying attention.  Mark's is pretty rad, though.)

Nah. Mine's ok, but Nathan's is much better.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22:22 AM
Yours is shorter.  People have limited attention spans.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 04:24:54 PM

You should.  It's a lot of fun.  I also liked the recent two by Scattercat and Electric Pallidin.  Another favorite was Tattletale by Christopher Fisher.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 05:37:23 PM

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 08:11:02 PM

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 10:49:44 PM

Here. Here.

Where? Where?

Hear, hear.

That's what I was getting at. It sets my teeth on edge when people get it wrong.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:51:54 PM by stePH »

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 03:43:30 AM
Here. Here.
Where? Where?
Hear, hear.
That's what I was getting at. It sets my teeth on edge when people get it wrong.

Me too.  I was cheering you.  :)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 02:59:07 PM
Here. Here.
Where? Where?
Hear, hear.

Hier, hier. 
(Just thought I'd add an equally incorrect German flavor to the mix)

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 03:08:10 PM
Here. Here.
Where? Where?
Hear, hear.

Hier, hier. 
(Just thought I'd add an equally incorrect German flavor to the mix)

Shema, Podcastle...

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 03:26:01 PM
Here. Here.
Where? Where?
Hear, hear.

I stand corrected.  Thank you sirs. :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 04:24:44 PM
I stand corrected.  Thank you sirs. :)

Just don't say "case and point" or "for all intensive purposes", or we will be fighting. :P