Author Topic: PC136: The Christmas Mummy  (Read 22382 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #50 on: January 27, 2011, 05:36:48 PM
I stand corrected.  Thank you sirs. :)

Just don't say "case and point" or "for all intensive purposes", or we will be fighting. :P

"all intensive purposes" still sounds more correct to me because "intents and purposes" just sounds redundant.  So I just don't say either.

Another "correct" expression that annoys me is "You've got another think coming", which I had always thought was "You've got another thing coming".  The former bugs me because "think" is normally a verb not a noun.  Yes, the latter is needlessly vague with "thing" but I just figured it was intended to be a nebulous threat that doesn't mean anything specific, like "or else".

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 05:58:52 PM
I stand corrected.  Thank you sirs. :)

Just don't say "case and point" or "for all intensive purposes", or we will be fighting. :P

How about I throw in an "irregardless"?  That's the one that grinds on my nerves.

(last subject derail I promise...today)

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 11:14:47 PM

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 11:18:01 PM
Shema, Podcastle...

???

Jewish humor. "Shema" is Hebrew for "Listen" or "Hear." "Shema Yisrael" - "Listen up, Israel" - is the beginning of an iconic Jewish prayer.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #54 on: January 27, 2011, 11:23:08 PM
Jewish humor. "Shema" is Hebrew for "Listen" or "Hear." "Shema Yisrael" - "Listen up, Israel" - is the beginning of an iconic Jewish prayer.

Ah, okay.  I did try look it up, but didn't see a translation, just a description, or I might've figured it out.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 01:50:58 AM
It's a cute story and funny. That fact that people are "fighting" over a Christmas story about ninjas and a mummy, makes me laugh about the story even more. It REALLY is the gift that keeps on giving!

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:13 PM
This was loads of fun, and I like the idea of sending out a story with Christmas letters (making note to consider doing that next year). 

For further inspiration, you might check out Tolkien's "Father Christmas Letters". Tolkien wrote letters as Father Christmas to his children filling them in on the adventures over the prior year. His children later assembled them and published them. The stories and illustrations are pretty delightful, moreso if you're a Tolkien fan.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”