Author Topic: Best Pseudopod of 2010 Nominations!  (Read 17902 times)

Dairmid

• Extern
Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 12:41:10 AM
Some announcement on the podcast would have been helpful. And why the hell are there no new stories?

To discover a new world, you must be willing to get lost. You have to risk sailing off the edge of the earth.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 01:07:47 AM
if you want to 'buy in' to slaughterhouse 10 feel free to add one point to each story you like that's still alive.

Dairmid

• Extern
Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:36 AM
Some announcement on the podcast would have been helpful. And why the hell are there no new stories?

Is it the moderator's intention to simply ignore this? Not all Escape Artist fans hang out here. Some consideration would have been appreciated; doesn't exactly encourage one to donate (one point you NEVER fail to mention).

To discover a new world, you must be willing to get lost. You have to risk sailing off the edge of the earth.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:55 AM

Is it the moderator's intention to simply ignore this? Not all Escape Artist fans hang out here. Some consideration would have been appreciated; doesn't exactly encourage one to donate (one point you NEVER fail to mention).

Apologies, I did not see your first post, therefore no, it was not my intention to simply ignore it.  However, more tamed, decent language might get you further.

Also, I have no control over what is and what is not announced on the podcast.  The Best of Pseudopod polls and nominations are designed for us here on the forums.  I do not think they have ever been announced on the 'casts themselves, as they are somewhat unofficial.  They are official only in the sense that the moderators run them.

As for why there have not been any new stories, there is another thread that has asked that "Unaskable Question" already, and inquiries should be directed there, although they have now been largely answered.  Perhaps some quick research would be prudent before posts such as yours.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 02:47:27 AM
Well, according to this new information, I have no choice but to hold you, Bdoomed, responsible for any and all future problems with the podcast, including the lack of funding. 

This is all your fault.

You monster.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 03:38:03 AM
I am a monster.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 03:49:33 AM
I am a monster.

Jesus Christ it's a (tiger) get in the car!

Hmm.  Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:21 PM
Yeah, you're right.  Oh well.  Rawr.

Dairmid

• Extern
Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 02:58:59 PM

Apologies, I did not see your first post, therefore no, it was not my intention to simply ignore it.  However, more tamed, decent language might get you further.

Also, I have no control over what is and what is not announced on the podcast.  The Best of Pseudopod polls and nominations are designed for us here on the forums.  I do not think they have ever been announced on the 'casts themselves, as they are somewhat unofficial.  They are official only in the sense that the moderators run them.

As for why there have not been any new stories, there is another thread that has asked that "Unaskable Question" already, and inquiries should be directed there, although they have now been largely answered.  Perhaps some quick research would be prudent before posts such as yours.

I do hope those who deal with the financial future of this enterprise read this. Unofficial or not, these forums are one face of Escape Artist. And questions get answered with 'the answers in another thread, go look for it'? That's great. This really is a management issue, so I won't bother you further. Yes, perhaps I could have used 'more tamed, decent language', but scolder 'customers' is bad for business. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 03:32:41 PM
I do hope those who deal with the financial future of this enterprise read this. Unofficial or not, these forums are one face of Escape Artist. And questions get answered with 'the answers in another thread, go look for it'? That's great. This really is a management issue, so I won't bother you further. Yes, perhaps I could have used 'more tamed, decent language', but scolder 'customers' is bad for business. 

I am just a consumer here, so you know where I'm coming from. From where I'm sitting, you're coming across as an angry troll. That may not be your intent, but the community is supposed to live by "be civil and respectful". I am concerned about Pseudopod as well, but I'm not gonna bust their balls for not giving me free things at the rate I had grown accustomed to. I donate, too, but that is freely given for past product that was enjoyed. I don't own any of their time, nor do I have expectations that they owe me anything.

Now that you're here, go vent your spleen on a story you hated (while adhering to the rules in the above linked thread) or lavish praise on one you loved. Our commentary is taken into consideration when they make editorial decisions.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:34:12 PM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 09:59:37 PM

Again, I do apologize for not answering your first inquiry right off the bat, I overlooked it and read only the post after yours when I checked on the thread :)

As for answering your question itself, I pointed you to that thread because I felt that you would like to read the posts for yourself, instead of reading a summary of Al's post by me in this thread.  I figured anyone would rather read it straight from him, not me, maybe I figured wrong?  You also could have acted in a more civil manner, so maybe I was a little short with you, apologies for that as well, however you posted a question unrelated to this thread in said manner.  (and now the whole thread's derailed grrrr!)

If you posted that question in a thread by itself, you would have been pointed to the linked thread all the same.  That is what we do here, we point people's inquiries to the right threads.  I meant no offense by linking that thread to you, and again I do feel that I was somewhat rude about it, but as Fenrix said, you were coming across as an angry troll.  And yes, this is an official face of Escape Artists, so we like to remain civil and respectful here.

We are all waiting eagerly for new episodes to begin airing again, in the meantime you might want to check out Cast Macabre at http://www.castmacabre.org/ , I hear they air some great stories.  (I have personally never listened due to a busy schedule)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 10:49:12 PM

You asked a question in a thread that had nothing to do with that topic, you used abusive language, and you got fighty when the random forum moderator (who has nothing to do with anything except, y'know, the forums) missed your misplaced post.  The moderator apologized and pointed you to the place where you can find the answer to your questions.  For this, you have now snidely insinuated that he should be fired for being bad for business.

At this point I am going to assume that you are some sort of performance artist and this piece is about how consumerism is destroying the moral foundation of our educational system.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:43:39 AM by Scattercat »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 04:54:04 PM

As someone who went from being a moderator to being on the editorial side, the mods know little more than the general public on what's going on behind the scenes at the various podcasts. While the forums are somewhat of a public place for the 'casts, they're very much their own beast, and we have moderators because we editors don't really exert any direct control over them (though we'll delete spam posts and the like from time to time if we get there first). We tend not to announce things here because we assume that this is its own community that grew out of the 'casts audiences, and not the full audience of the podcasts. For example, any major EP announcement is going to go on our blog.

Bdoomed handled things well here as there was another thread devoted to this topic, which he linked to in his post. Which is what I would have done when I was moderating the Podcastle forums. He's also an unpaid volunteer with plenty of other stuff going on, so missing a post in one thread isn't a big deal.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.