Escape Artists
December 17, 2017, 12:52:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC138: Balfour And Meriwether In The Adventure Of The Emperor’s Vengeance  (Read 11787 times)
woodchuck
Extern

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »

I loved this story. I can't say that I'm totally gaga over steampunk, but I really liked the mashup of industrial london, machine monsters, old testament mysticism, and super sleuths!  That's a combo that you don't see every day.  I loved the attention to detail, development of characters, and the pace of the story.  I felt that although stereotypes were used, they were appropriate for the story and didn't detract from the original templates.  I only wish that I had that kind of story making ability.

Great Job!
ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 11:45:35 AM »

gaga... steampunk

Lady Gaga does steampunk.

That would be kind of awesome and terrifying.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled conversation. Tongue

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »

gaga... steampunk

No, see, she can't do steampunk. It's too normal for her. I mean, there are plenty of people who dress up in steampunk outfits (for cons, photoshoots or just because they are awesome people), so Lady Gaga can't. It's too mainstream.
Upholstery though, that she could do.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »

gaga... steampunk

No, see, she can't do steampunk. It's too normal for her. I mean, there are plenty of people who dress up in steampunk outfits (for cons, photoshoots or just because they are awesome people), so Lady Gaga can't. It's too mainstream.

Perhaps she could dress up as a steampunk chair...

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
danooli

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »

gaga... steampunk

Perhaps she could dress up as a steampunk chair...

or maybe some sort of Victorian meat grinder?

(sorry for butting in  Grin )
BlueLu
Palmer

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »

Fantastic!  This is probably my favorite PodCastle story so far.  I loved the rapport between the two characters and the way the complexities of their long, symbiotic relationship were got across with just a few strokes.  I would read any number of stories with these characters and was delighted to read on the author’s website that he had sold another Balfour and Meriwether story and was working on a novella.  I hope we hear them soon on Podcastle!  (And no, I am not Daniel Abraham’s mom.)

Lena
tinygaia
Peltast

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »

First time posting.

The thing that really made this story for me was the characters. I thought the author did a great job of hinting at Balfour and Meriweather’s long history of clandestine adventures. The way their personalities worked so well together left me wanting more stories about them, and I was pleased to see the author’s blog post stating that some were in the works. Overall, great story.
Talia

Muahahahaha

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »

Welcome Tinygaia. Glad you enjoyed the story. Smiley
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »

First time posting.

The thing that really made this story for me was the characters. I thought the author did a great job of hinting at Balfour and Meriweather’s long history of clandestine adventures. The way their personalities worked so well together left me wanting more stories about them, and I was pleased to see the author’s blog post stating that some were in the works. Overall, great story.

Welcome!  Does your avatar image happen to be from the game Secret of Mana?  It looks familiar.   Smiley
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »

I think the narrator is very talented, but I don't always enjoy his readings. I think they're often TOO dry.

I enjoyed the story, although I agree with some other commenters that it was slow in places. Also, B&M were too conventional of MCs, and their unconventionalness wasn't adequately explained to keep it from drawing my attention away from the story. Why does Balfour use braces of knives? Why is he so quiet? How does Meriwether know Hebrew (I think that was mentioned; can't recall now)? And Lord Whatsisname was a very hackneyed character as well.

The story overcame the characterization issues I had with it, and by the end I was quite into it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 09:36:17 PM »

The title of this one threw me; I was expecting another adventure of Sir Hereward and Mr. Fitz  Tongue But I liked this better.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
eytanz

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »

Ooh, I really loved this one. A great steampunk adventure story.  Not really that much to say about it beyond that.

The beginning sounded a lot like a Sherlock Holmes story, and I kept trying to compare Balfour and Meriwether to Sherlock and Dr. Watson (respectively). But I eventually realized the error in this, since one of them is not a bumbling idiot. More a sort of Sean Connery as James Bond duo.

Watson was far from an idiot in the original Holmes stories, that's something that was added in the Basil Rathbone movies.

Pretty cool but was I the only one bugged by the 12 plagues?

Haven't you ever been to a seder? Just count yourself lucky she didn't say "fifty plagues," and then start listing each one and the logic by which there were that many.

Rabbi Akiva calls your fifty plagues at land, and raises you two hundred and fifty plagues at sea. Wink
tinygaia
Peltast

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »

Welcome!  Does your avatar image happen to be from the game Secret of Mana?  It looks familiar.   Smiley

You're right. That's my favorite game of all time.
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 03:14:07 AM »

Ooh, I really loved this one. A great steampunk adventure story.  Not really that much to say about it beyond that.

The beginning sounded a lot like a Sherlock Holmes story, and I kept trying to compare Balfour and Meriwether to Sherlock and Dr. Watson (respectively). But I eventually realized the error in this, since one of them is not a bumbling idiot. More a sort of Sean Connery as James Bond duo.

Watson was far from an idiot in the original Holmes stories, that's something that was added in the Basil Rathbone movies.

I've read many (perhaps most, but certainly not all) of the original stories, and I've always found Watson to be a sort of weak character. Maybe my choice of words ("bumbling idiot") was incorrect, but he is not even close to being the equal of Holmes. I've always felt that his part in the story was for Holmes to bounce ideas off of and thus explain things to the reader who hasn't figured it out yet. He rarely contributes something clever and original to the story. He is clearly the sidekick and clearly far inferior to Holmes in every way (disguise, powers of observation, intrigue, fighting skills, deduction...), but better than the cop (I forget his name).
I got the feeling that Balfour and Meriwether were more or less equals in most things relevant to finding and capturing criminals or other things that may disturb the peace.
And that was what I meant.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

eytanz

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 03:28:28 AM »

Then we have no disagreement - Watson clearly isn't the equal of Holmes. But in the original stories it was made clear that Watson is actually a pretty intelligent and resourceful person, and the fact that as such he's still miles behind Holmes is supposed to indicate how much of a genius Holmes actually is.

I agree that Balfour and Meriwether seem to be far more equally balanced.
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 12:21:05 PM »

Yeah, the point of Watson was that he was a doctor and a smart cookie, but he just couldn't keep up with Holmes when he was on an intuition high; nobody could.  Watson was a foil, someone who was smart but pedestrian and methodical to contrast with Holmes' erratic and unpredictable bursts of insight.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 09:31:25 PM »

You are SO right and that "bumbling idiot" persona annoys me immensely!! Thankfully it's not universal as the excellent Granada series and even the most recent "Sherlock" series showed. Other things that annoy me: the perpetual deerstalker; the stupid meerschaum pipe; the magnifying glass; "Elementary my dear Watson."

kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 09:35:41 PM »

...to contrast with Holmes' erratic and unpredictable bursts of insight.

I'd argue that Homes was neither erratic nor unpredictable. It is true that when his brain was unengaged he dropped into extreme lassitude. However when engaged, his mental processes were logical, progressive and brilliant.

Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:59 AM »

...to contrast with Holmes' erratic and unpredictable bursts of insight.

I'd argue that Homes was neither erratic nor unpredictable. It is true that when his brain was unengaged he dropped into extreme lassitude. However when engaged, his mental processes were logical, progressive and brilliant.

Logical, perhaps, but not progressive.  He tended to make the final leap - often one that defied explanation - all in one go.  He was strongly intuitive, in other words, rather than building gradually on previous work.  That is what I mean by erratic; it was always a bit of a crapshoot as to which bit of information would tip Holmes over into revelation, and he tended in general to solve things by retreating to mull things over for a time rather than methodically testing and discarding hypotheses.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »

Other things that annoy me: the perpetual deerstalker; the stupid meerschaum pipe; the magnifying glass; "Elementary my dear Watson."

Carl Sagan never said "billions and billions", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam", and Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson."

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: