Escape Artists
December 16, 2018, 03:18:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP274: Angry Rose’s Lament  (Read 13577 times)
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 02:46:01 AM »

On the subject of hive minds, the fish-like Orz of Star Control II might qualify, though if you hear them explain it their form is merely the way our minds interpret the fingers of a transdimensional being poking through from another plane of existence.  If their explanation is accurate, then I don't think it qualifies as a hive mind, if they are only appendages of one actual being.  Or does it?

It's quite a grey area. I have heard worker bees described as appendages of the queen. And what is a hive mind but something on a different level or plane from our physical one? So, the argument could go either way...
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 05:08:20 AM »

Still playing catchup with my podcasts.
Like others said, I found this to be pretty good, and without a surprising ending.
What I found most intriguing was the title of the story. It's a little game I play with myself as I listen to the story and afterwards, just why the author chose this title for the story. (I do that in books and movies too, imagine my surprise when I got halfway through Watership Down).
Without knowing the title of the story, one would think that Angry Rose was just a two-bit character, there to provide a little insight, perhaps the equivalent of the wise woman telling him to be wary of the dragon. One would be tempted to think that the story was about Rutter (odd name that, caught in a rut perhaps? Trying to get away from his addiction only to come back to it full circle?) and how he handled a difficult situation and how important his addiction history was to "save the day".
But thinking about it now, I realize that the story really is about Angry Rose (who probably didn't take that name until after Luke's mind was devoured).
Here she is, on this planet, banned from the contact with the aliens that she needs to allow herself some kind of closure. I get the distinct impression that she and Luke were not merely coworkers, but more than that. And she wants to avenge him, so she can have some kind of closure. But she can't.
But that isn't what she is lamenting about. Her lament is actually that she doesn't understand. Us, the audience, realize what's really eating her. She doesn't understand. She thought she knew Luke, who he was, what his aspirations were, but it turns out she doesn't, she can't. It turns out that some Rutter who is battling his own addiction and running from his past understood Luke better than she did.
And that is what the story is really about.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

tinygaia
Peltast

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:54 PM »

Also playing podcast-catchup here.

I've always been disturbed by the idea of having one's consciousness absorbed by another. I like to be social every now and then, but I need my alone time too. Mind-sharing as a literary element shifts the story out of SF and directly into horror for me. The thought of having constant company? Like, forever? buh.

That said, this story went on way longer than it should have for me. I hate to be close-minded, but I've got to say that as soon as the alien presented his terms, I said, "No, deal's over." I spent the rest of the story talking to the ipod: "Why are we still discussing this? The story is over. No. Just no."

Also, buh!
yicheng
Matross

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »

I found this story lacking, mainly because it seemed to hinge on the central question of "will the MC give up his life for a chance at immortality"?  It wasn't so much that the question wasn't interesting, but I felt like the "twist" at the end was one you could see a mile away.  Personally, I felt it would have made a more entertaining and thought-provoking story if the MC had refused the offer.
Talia

Muahahahaha

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 11:55:49 AM »

I found this story lacking, mainly because it seemed to hinge on the central question of "will the MC give up his life for a chance at immortality"? 

That's not how I heard it. It came off more to me like "will the MC give up life as he knows it to save his business & business partners", with the whole "giving in to his addictions" tangent as another element. I don't think he cared too much about the immortality aspect, so much as 1) saving the business and 2) recapturing that drug high
yicheng
Matross

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »

I found this story lacking, mainly because it seemed to hinge on the central question of "will the MC give up his life for a chance at immortality"? 

That's not how I heard it. It came off more to me like "will the MC give up life as he knows it to save his business & business partners", with the whole "giving in to his addictions" tangent as another element. I don't think he cared too much about the immortality aspect, so much as 1) saving the business and 2) recapturing that drug high

As I understood it, the appeal was not only the drug high, but that it would that drug high forever and with no side-effects, i.e. Immortality without the down side.
matweller
EA Staff

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »

Did anyone notice that this story was introduced as EP274, November 6, 2011?  Cat Rambo really is a writer of the future.

Hehehe! I just noticed this when I was making last week's episode. I had copied the file from the week before and the robot lady said 'November' and I did a double take. I checked other episodes and this is the only one it happened to, which I totally can't explain. It should be okay going forward, though. Good catch! Wink

I noticed, but then in the intro, Mur talked about how you could just as easily make 'New Year's' resolutions in November as in January, so I assumed it was deliberate.
I can assure you, we're nowhere near that coordinated. Wink
Wilson Fowlie
Hipparch

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »

in the intro, Mur talked about how you could just as easily make 'New Year's' resolutions in November as in January, so I assumed it was deliberate.

Dude, you could at least have pretended! ("Uh, yeahhh, that's what it was ... that's the ticket!")  Smiley

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham
Nobilis
Peltast

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »

I'm doing my best, now, to comment on stories that I LIKE as well as the ones I don't like.  Trying to throw off the curmudgeonly mantle.

This one struck me as a well thought out, well written story.
matweller
EA Staff

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »

in the intro, Mur talked about how you could just as easily make 'New Year's' resolutions in November as in January, so I assumed it was deliberate.

Dude, you could at least have pretended! ("Uh, yeahhh, that's what it was ... that's the ticket!")  Smiley
Yeah, but I'm known for my painful honesty. Just ask my wife, who just does not ask me certain things anymore...
Umbrageofsnow
Hipparch

Commenting by the seat of my pants.

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »

I've always been disturbed by the idea of having one's consciousness absorbed by another.
This story went on way longer than it should have for me. I hate to be close-minded, but I've got to say that as soon as the alien presented his terms, I said, "No, deal's over." I spent the rest of the story talking to the ipod: "Why are we still discussing this? The story is over. No. Just no."

I felt like the "twist" at the end was one you could see a mile away.  Personally, I felt it would have made a more entertaining and thought-provoking story if the MC had refused the offer.

It's interesting that both of you assumed different outcomes.  Personally, I also saw the "yes" answer coming, but I'm also glad it worked out like I'd expected.  Tons of other reps have already been through the same process as our main character here.  Tons of them have said "No" to the exact same deal.  The reason we get to read a story about Paul in particular is because he is different.  What sort of person does it takes to say yes to this deal?  I think that is one of the central questions of the story. 

Obviously tinygaia would have made for a very different protagonist, perhaps leading to the kind of story yicheng would have preferred.  But the point is, that wasn't the story Rambo was trying to get at.  Apparently the vast majority of the population in this universe agree with the posters above.  So how do you get to the type of person who is different?

Paul is the EXACT right character for this story to be happening to.  It's always interesting, I think, to examine the non-typical response, and in what way a person has to be different to get to that response.  And can the reader be brought into the different mindset to see that answer?

For me, the answer to that last question was YES.  I might not have made the same choice, but I can very well see why he did it.  And there are definite horror leanings here, but it might be all good.

That is the real strength of the story, Paul doesn't know anything for certain, and neither do we.  He doesn't know what will really be better for his friends and the company. He eventually makes a choice, but we are left unsure of whether it was the right one, for him or for anyone else.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:31:50 PM by Umbrageofsnow » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: