Escape Artists
June 17, 2019, 02:09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read stories and vote in Podcastle Flash Fiction contest! New groups appear every other day.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP275: Schrödinger’s Cat Lady  (Read 19583 times)
Corydon
Peltast

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »

I didn't care for this story at all.  The bulk of it was unobjectionable fluff; I'm not particularly charmed by stories of adorable animals, or by cutesy fiction in general.  Still, the story was slight enough that it'd just be grumpy to complain that the premise made no sense, or that Schroedinger's cat (and Heisenberg's principle) are misused, and horrible cliches.  Forgettable stuff, but not awful.

But then, in the last minute, the story veered off into an ugly revenge fantasy; something I find at least as repugnant as dogfighting, and which was at odds with the tone of the rest of the story.  It left a bad taste in my mouth, and I find myself agreeing with this LOLcat:

NoNotRogov
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:02 AM »

Reminds me of deconstructionist fairy tales, the kind that try to capture the capriciousness of fanciful beings with surreal, fantastical powers that operate according to idiom rather than the normal constraints of the world.

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »

This is nothing against you personally, Unblinking, this just struck a bit of a nerve.

I'll admit that my comment was in rather poor taste, and really was only tangentially related to the story anyway.  I'm sorry about that.  As for the questions of whether Vick's punishment was fitting, and the rating of dogfighting vs. other kinds of animal cruelty, I don't want to have that argument here.  (Not that you shouldn't have brought them up, considering my original comment, but I don't feel that I should respond about that in this story thread).

Anyway, back to the story!
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »

This was one of my favorite EP stories, possibly ever.  Grin

Were there holes? Yes, but when you're re-stitching such a large swath of the fabric of reality then you're going to end up with holes. And I was ok with that as I sat giggling at my bench affixing labels on 207 tubes for one of my experiments this week. Besides, I'm a biologist not a physicist. I won't complain (too much) about the misuse of cloning if "you" won't complain too much about this one. Deal?  Wink
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »

Besides, I'm a biologist not a physicist.

Surely you meant to say "Dammit" rather than "Besides"? ;-)

Equalizer
Extern

Ninjas are always better.

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 09:37:20 PM »

I laughed soooooooo hard when I heard "I save the cats from the boxes. People put them in there." Funniest EP I've ever heard!  Cheesy

All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landing there. Use them together. Use them in peace.
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 12:16:48 AM »

Besides, I'm a biologist not a physicist.

Surely you meant to say "Dammit" rather than "Besides"? ;-)

ou, we gotta joker here! Cheesy Though I suppose that would work too, in a Dr. McCoy sort of way...

By the way, I read your flash fiction piece that was linked above and got a real kick out of it Smiley
kibitzer
Hipparch

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 02:34:48 AM »

By the way, I read your flash fiction piece that was linked above and got a real kick out of it Smiley

Why thank you :-) Glad you liked it.

KenK
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06:52 AM »

I was thinking of Michael Vick too as the story ended.  Grin
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »

I didn't know that not liking cats would make one a pariah among nerds... I thought hating on Firefly did that.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
KenK
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »

I didn't know that not liking cats would make one a pariah among nerds... I thought hating on Firefly did that.
Dislike 'em all you want. Just don't kill or torture them for no good reason.  Wink
yicheng
Matross

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »

This one was a dud for me.  The attempts at Quantum Physics Humor were about as funny as Quantum Physics Humor sounds: chuckle-worthy at some spots, but mostly just caused me to cringe.  And in my opinion, nothing against Mur, but her voice isn't very well suited comedic delivery.  It came across as a bit of a flat delivery, on a story that was also just as flat.

BTW: @blueeyeddevil, completely agreed.
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »

Dislike 'em all you want. Just don't kill or torture them for no good reason.  Wink

Just to be clear, I lurvz teh kittehz... I have five of them myself. It's Firefly I don't like.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
FireTurtle
Hipparch

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »

*brushes cat fur off keyboard*

Ahem. First, let me just say I was incredibly relieved to see a cat-lady who not only wasn't flinging cats at neighbors and or harming them through hoarding. As a potential future cat-lady myself I am happy to have such a rewarding example to live up to!

Reminds me of deconstructionist fairy tales, the kind that try to capture the capriciousness of fanciful beings with surreal, fantastical powers that operate according to idiom rather than the normal constraints of the world

I completely and utterly agree. I just enjoyed it for that, did not think to much on whether the physics was correct because frankly, its been to long and fluff is fluff, Tribbles not withstanding. A great little tale that I'm glad my cats didn't hear. As for the ending, as I regarded Mrs. S much as NoNotRogov described, it seemed perfectly fitting.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin
kibitzer
Hipparch

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »

Just to be clear, I lurvz teh kittehz... I have five of them myself. It's Firefly I don't like.

Complete opposite for me ;-)

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »

Complete opposite for me ;-)

You have five Fireflies?
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I liked Mur's comparison between someone with a dozen cats getting legal action against them, but dozen kids getting a TV show.
customcartoons
Palmer

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »

Firstly, I wanted to say thanks to Mur for her diplomatic way of phrasing which she "camp" she belongs to, without stroking anyone's fur backwards. Well played. Smiley

Quantum mechanics aside, I was just grateful to hear the rare "ailurocentric" story, putting cats in a positive light for once. Ever since that Bond villain and his Persian, movies (more so than books) seem stuck in the trope of casting cats or cat owners in the role of badguy, or basically, "dramatic foil", to the good guy and his dog again and again. It gets a lil old, and hearing a cat story for cat people feels really good. I think the last cat-as-hero story I recall on EP was His Master's Voice, which even still, centers on a canine protagonist, but hey. (I still play that one over and over.)

Also a positive spin on the cat lady! I was not bogged down by the Fairy Catmother's powers or where she gets them, anymore than I am about Santa Clause's powers. (Hmm, same powers.) This is a simple what-if fable about where stray ideas go (like stray cats), and of course, what happens to naughty villains.

I did not see the ending as a "dark turn" or ugly, I was a bit surprised by people's reactions to it. It was your standard bad-guy-gets-his ending. Besides, it stands to reason that, with all the imaginary cats she's been pulling out of imaginary boxes, she would have loads of leftover imaginary radioactivity-triggered poison assemblies just lyin around her imaginary inside-out cat mansion in the sky. Me like!
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »

FWIW, I don't like "bad guy gets his" stories much in general.  I dislike violence and violent conflict, and I find them to be poor tools of conflict resolution.  A story that is light and whimsical which ends with the gleeful murder of guilty parties makes me uncomfortable, because I don't regard that sort of thing as light or whimsical and it makes me uncomfortable to see it presented as such.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 09:28:04 AM »

Cat stories shouldn't be too hard to find.  I haven't done a tally, but they seem more frequent than dog stories.  Just a couple suggestions in case you're looking:  What Fluffy Knew, here on Escape Pod.  And the novel Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams.  I know there are plenty of others but they're not immediately coming to mind (probably because I tend to prefer the dog stories).  Smiley

Firstly, I wanted to say thanks to Mur for her diplomatic way of phrasing which she "camp" she belongs to, without stroking anyone's fur backwards. Well played. Smiley

Quantum mechanics aside, I was just grateful to hear the rare "ailurocentric" story, putting cats in a positive light for once. Ever since that Bond villain and his Persian, movies (more so than books) seem stuck in the trope of casting cats or cat owners in the role of badguy, or basically, "dramatic foil", to the good guy and his dog again and again. It gets a lil old, and hearing a cat story for cat people feels really good. I think the last cat-as-hero story I recall on EP was His Master's Voice, which even still, centers on a canine protagonist, but hey. (I still play that one over and over.)

Also a positive spin on the cat lady! I was not bogged down by the Fairy Catmother's powers or where she gets them, anymore than I am about Santa Clause's powers. (Hmm, same powers.) This is a simple what-if fable about where stray ideas go (like stray cats), and of course, what happens to naughty villains.

I did not see the ending as a "dark turn" or ugly, I was a bit surprised by people's reactions to it. It was your standard bad-guy-gets-his ending. Besides, it stands to reason that, with all the imaginary cats she's been pulling out of imaginary boxes, she would have loads of leftover imaginary radioactivity-triggered poison assemblies just lyin around her imaginary inside-out cat mansion in the sky. Me like!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: