Author Topic: The unaskable question  (Read 20480 times)

Kanasta

• Peltast
on: January 29, 2011, 03:13:44 PM
This has been mentioned in story comments, but I thought this is the right place for it.... Anyone seen Pseudopod lately? As someone who chooses to make a regular donation, I do feel a bit annoyed when the stories just stop with no explanation. Don't get me wrong - I know that everyone's busy; I could choose not to donate; $5 a month isn't much etc. And I wouldn't really mind if they just made an announcement or gave a quick explanation - I'd still continue to donate if I knew stories would be back in a month or two. Often when people have one grumble or another, a common reply is "Don't complain- you're getting it for free." But that's not necessarily true - yes, I could choose to get it for free, but I choose not to- I think it's worth paying for. But I also think that means it would be nice to just get a quick warning so I don't think my $5 is just going down the drain... What do other people think? Am I being unreasonable?  ???

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:44 PM
HEY!  SHUT YOUR MOUTH, DISSENTER!
I am currently inquiring as to the state of Pseudopod.  I (or someone) will post here when information is known.  I totally understand your grievances, but also know that donations are put into one big pot, so even if you aren't getting your weekly dose of Pseudopod, you are still supporting the other two podcasts, and we all love you for it.

My guess is that Pseudopod has reached out with a tentacle or two and dragged Ben down into the dark depths of the sea.  But I can't be positive.  After all, Pseudopod is just a legend, isn't it?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:32:39 PM
Well, I know *someone* is doing *something* with Pseudopod, because they just paid me for my story a couple of days ago...

goatkeeper

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:53:25 AM
Well, I know *someone* is doing *something* with Pseudopod, because they just paid me for my story a couple of days ago...

a resounding woot!  on all accounts

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 02:55:58 AM

a resounding woot!  on all accounts
...and I just read one that was supposed to be released soon, if that helps at all.

I heard whispers about Ben getting some help, but I don't know details. I took it as a positive move in general, so I would expect we'll hear something soon.

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:12:09 PM
Sounds hopeful...  I mean, I don't mind supporting the other podcasts too, but Pseudopod will always be my first love  ;D

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 01:29:27 AM
Sounds hopeful...  I mean, I don't mind supporting the other podcasts too, but Pseudopod will always be my first love  ;D

You're not alone there :-)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:25:29 PM
I had noticed that nothing was turning up in the feed, but I've had that happen with other podcasts just because MediaMonkey had a hiccup or something. At least it's good to know the problem isn't on my end.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 09:02:22 PM
I'm impressed by your cajones.  I can see questioning the mysterious movements of the Escape Pod or Podcastle, but Pseudopod is the only podcast I know of that threatens people for donations on a regular basis.  Drawing attention to yourself like that...

Wow, you know Pseudopod can track your IP and show up at your house...
My guess is that this is just the yearly cleaning out dead bodies from the horrible gears of the podcaster.

Personally, I'm enjoying the break to spend extra time relistening to podcasts for the yearly polls.  Hard enough keeping up with the other 2.  If they have to take a break, I think this is the best time of year for it.

But yeah, PP is my favorite of the three as well.  And that isn't just the Stockholm Syndrome talking.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:06:12 PM by Umbrageofsnow »

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:02:50 PM
Wow, you know Pseudopod can track your IP and show up at your house...

Damnit, why did nobody tell me thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 05:48:10 AM
I am glad someone asked. I would not be here if not for Pseudopod. Not that it saved my life (or maybe it did!) But I was looking through the vastness of podcasts trying to find new stories when I found Pseudopod. My first was "Man you have to see this" and then I knew I found what I was looking for. But seeing that the last story was posted just after Christmas, I was getting worried that I hopped on board too late. Much like my short stint of following the Talking Heads. Well you know how it goes. Pseudopod begets Podcastle. Podcastle begets Escapepod. The point is Pseudopod was the first and therefor for me the best. Thank God it is still running! Oh and when the men come to your house wanting the money you promised, DON"T tell them the check is in the mail. I am still walking with a limp.

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)

evelet

• Extern
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 09:40:22 PM
*pines*

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 06:18:42 PM
*cedars*

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 09:25:59 PM
Zing!
I dunno what to tell you guys, I've sent out some PM's, no reply as of yet.  :(

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:45:23 AM
Good morning!

So, where's Pseudopod gone?  Simple, nowhere, it's just been a slight victim of circumstance.  I got the doomflu just before Christmas which, no word of a lie, knocked me flat on my arse for close to six weeks.  It's an evil little virus and it knocked me flat so badly I had basically no voice for two weeks, very little for another three, a hacking cough and had to take a nap in the afternoon basically every day.  It felt, in short, rather like being in training for getting old.  This put me badly behind and I'm only just catching up now.  Meanwhile, various other staff members have changed jobs which has meant they've been a bit knocked back but are now starting to catch up, as I understand it.

So, we're coming back:) Taken a little longer than we thought but we're coming back:)  In the meantime, I heartily recommend Cast Macabre if you need a weekly horror fix.  Barry's been doing amazing work over there and he deserves more recognition.

As for me, I'm doing another couple of endcaps today, along with other projects up to and including TRYING TO STOP MY EARS BEING BLUE.  I went to the SFX Weekender convention over the weekend and on Saturday went to the fancy dress ball dressed as Beast.  Which meant blue hands, blue head, blue ears and a shiny yellow leather X on the back of my leather jacket:)  HUGE fun but I am looking forward to FINALLY getting all this stuff OFF ME:)

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 09:50:29 AM
even pseudopod, it would seem, is not immune to the most terrifying thing every conceived of... doomflu!

Get well soon, Al. Hope to see the pod back on its tentacles and creeping us all out soon.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 05:23:43 PM
Sounds like when my friend Peter managed to import swine flu all the way from New York to our home.  My wife was out of commission at home and barely able to get to work for four weeks after a week or two of bedrest.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 05:35:21 PM
I thought the doomflu was but a myth!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 05:52:26 PM
I thought the doomflu was but a myth!

Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

H.P. Lovecraft

"The Tomb"

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 08:23:38 PM
Good morning!

So, where's Pseudopod gone?  Simple, nowhere, it's just been a slight victim of circumstance.  I got the doomflu just before Christmas which, no word of a lie, knocked me flat on my arse for close to six weeks.  It's an evil little virus and it knocked me flat so badly I had basically no voice for two weeks, very little for another three, a hacking cough and had to take a nap in the afternoon basically every day.  It felt, in short, rather like being in training for getting old.  This put me badly behind and I'm only just catching up now.  Meanwhile, various other staff members have changed jobs which has meant they've been a bit knocked back but are now starting to catch up, as I understand it.

So, we're coming back:) Taken a little longer than we thought but we're coming back:)  In the meantime, I heartily recommend Cast Macabre if you need a weekly horror fix.  Barry's been doing amazing work over there and he deserves more recognition.

As for me, I'm doing another couple of endcaps today, along with other projects up to and including TRYING TO STOP MY EARS BEING BLUE.  I went to the SFX Weekender convention over the weekend and on Saturday went to the fancy dress ball dressed as Beast.  Which meant blue hands, blue head, blue ears and a shiny yellow leather X on the back of my leather jacket:)  HUGE fun but I am looking forward to FINALLY getting all this stuff OFF ME:)

Thanks for the update, Al.  Get well soon.  I'm looking forward to Psuedopod's triumphant return.  :)

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 09:48:59 PM
Thanks for letting us know and sorry you've been so ill. Hope to be hearing your maleficent mellifluity again soon  ;D

Balu

Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 11:29:41 PM
In the meantime, I heartily recommend Cast Macabre if you need a weekly horror fix.  Barry's been doing amazing work over there and he deserves more recognition.

I'd like to second that. Cast Macabre is pretty awesome.

I've just finished listening to Ashputtle which was one of the most mesmerising pieces of horror I've heard in a long time.

http://www.castmacabre.org/

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 12:15:02 AM
I like Cast Macabre too, though I'm a little biased because they bought the first thing I ever sent to them.  (And did a really great reading of it, too.)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 01:42:58 AM
I'd say CM rocks too, but, y'know, conflict of interest... although I guess there's nothing wrong in saying "Hey, check it out!"

By the way: Cast Macabre rawks!

Al, really sorry to hear you were so sick and glad you're on the mend. Having seen your Twitter pic, you did look rather fetching... err, I mean appropriate... in blue. And not in an Avatar way.

My <3 of Pseudopod remains undiminished!

(also... I appear to be turning into a 12-yr old girl what with the <3 and all)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:12:29 AM by kibitzer »

Balu

Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 02:07:37 AM
I like Cast Macabre too, though I'm a little biased because they bought the first thing I ever sent to them.  (And did a really great reading of it, too.)

Hey, cool!

Which one was yours?