Author Topic: The unaskable question  (Read 20499 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #50 on: March 04, 2011, 04:35:24 PM

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Robert Mammone

• Palmer
Reply #51 on: March 05, 2011, 10:59:05 PM
:)Yay!  Learning of the return of the 'pod & Alistair has made my day!  Since Thanksgiving, my little family has been hit by one illness after another.  After a too short break in late January, we were all smacked down once again by another nasty bug.  It has been another two+ weeks of medicines, tissues, salt water gargles, steam showers, & hot toddies, but I think we're finally coming out of it.  These last few months sure have taken the stuffing out of us...I can sympathize!

Besides the hot toddies, the only good thing to come out of this rough patch has been all the time spent listening to these incredible podcasts.  I'm so glad to hear my favorite can be anticipated rather than grieved!  My fingers will be happily skipping their way across the keyboard to send my support.  Take care!

A head's up:  I received some communication yesterday from Pseudopod staff about my upcoming story, so there's definitely some staff activity behind the curtain.   :)

People should relax, I think.  I've a story coming up later in the year and I've been paid for it.  As good a sign to me that things are on track.

For those curious, I spent my payment on food and not a kindle...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #52 on: March 06, 2011, 12:57:51 AM
Shoulda gone with the Kindle, your stomach can wait :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 02:36:00 PM
:)Yay!  Learning of the return of the 'pod & Alistair has made my day!  Since Thanksgiving, my little family has been hit by one illness after another.  After a too short break in late January, we were all smacked down once again by another nasty bug.  It has been another two+ weeks of medicines, tissues, salt water gargles, steam showers, & hot toddies, but I think we're finally coming out of it.  These last few months sure have taken the stuffing out of us...I can sympathize!

Besides the hot toddies, the only good thing to come out of this rough patch has been all the time spent listening to these incredible podcasts.  I'm so glad to hear my favorite can be anticipated rather than grieved!  My fingers will be happily skipping their way across the keyboard to send my support.  Take care!

A head's up:  I received some communication yesterday from Pseudopod staff about my upcoming story, so there's definitely some staff activity behind the curtain.   :)

People should relax, I think.  I've a story coming up later in the year and I've been paid for it.  As good a sign to me that things are on track.

For those curious, I spent my payment on food and not a kindle...

I just received payment over the weekend myself, so the wheels are definitely moving forward!

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #54 on: March 07, 2011, 08:28:40 PM

Not according to Stallman.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:19 AM

To be picky, that's about Amazon DRM'd books, i.e. the book format, not the device. Whilst I fully agree that the Amazon DRM is draconian, the device itself is a pleasure to use. Mine has mostly PDFs with a few mobi.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 02:42:47 AM

shrug.  you can connect multiple kindles to the same account, you can connect an amazon account to the kindle app for iphone, computer, what-have-you.  You can download any purchased book any where any time as long as it's connected to your amazon account.  I don't see that as such a big deal.  My friend wants to read Game of Thrones at some point, I'll just install the kindle app on his mac and he can read it whenever.

yes DRM sucks, but... well whatever.  the kindle will also read many other ebook formats that aren't DRM'd.  You just have to find those places that sell those type of ebooks.  Then all you do is drag and drop the file in there and ta-da.

Plus, not many of my friends read (sad, I know) so I rarely find myself needing to lend a book.  Shrug.  :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 02:31:40 PM
The tentacles of Pseudopod are creeping up from the depths once again!  Keep your eye on your purses and small animals!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #58 on: March 12, 2011, 04:58:06 PM

To be picky, that's about Amazon DRM'd books, i.e. the book format, not the device. Whilst I fully agree that the Amazon DRM is draconian, the device itself is a pleasure to use. Mine has mostly PDFs with a few mobi.

I've got my eye on the NookColor. I could read comic books on it too, and it's not an iPad.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising