Author Topic: Wheel of Time  (Read 3648 times)

wingodzilla

• Palmer
on: February 01, 2011, 05:37:48 AM
Alright, we all know that this collection of books can be at times long and drawn out. BUT I have to say I am so glad I read this and so glad that it can finally end. The last two books have been all I could want from the series and this series as a whole HAS to go down as one of the greats. Tell me what you think.

P.S. I was shocked to see something was not put up before this.

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:59:03 AM
I've not started the books by Sanderson yet, I was rereading the series so i could run straight into the new ones, but that process has currently stalled. I've been a fan of the series for a good few years now and cannot wait to get to the end. Say what you like about Jordan plodding approach (especially as the series wore on), but he's created a fantastic world and filled it with wonderful characters.

tinygaia

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:02:59 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with it (mostly love). I started the series in '97, reading through the first seven books in about a month (it was summer break and that was ALL I did). Was still excited when book 8 came out in '98, but by the time 9 came out in 2000, I was struggling with all the stuff I couldn't remember. It was at that point I decided to wait until it was finished and reread the whole thing.

I'm looking forward to it. My husband and several of our friends do not have my faulty memory and have read each new installment as it comes out, so I'm all the time hearing about how "awesome" it is. I was the first among my friends to read Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, so I'm excited to see what he does with WoT.

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:41:35 AM
I really like what Sanderson has done. Some of it, you can tell, is still Jordan. But it is has fast pace and hits a lot of high notes. You can "feel" the end coming. I am still just a fanboy at heart about this!

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:56:33 AM
I'm in kind of a weird position with WoT. I read the first bunch, looooooved them (except for the 39048390483483 pages of Aes Sedai politics), lost interest for a few years, tried to catch back up, got back into the story for a bit then lost interest again and forgot most of the storyline.

Now I'm at the point where I think I'll need to re-read the whole series to re-familiarize myself with it. Meanwhile, i have an autographed copy of 'Gathering Storm' on my shelf awaiting my attention.

It's annoying. I love the series, but am vaguely put off the re-read by the sheer volume of it.

Still, must do, I think.

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:28 AM
Yeah Jordan is a real labor of love.