Escape Artists
July 31, 2014, 12:34:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This Dunesteef Thingy  (Read 2579 times)
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
EA Staff

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« on: February 01, 2011, 02:03:03 AM »

Just listened to my first Dunesteef and found it most enjoyable! This was Ep91, featuring work by the estimable ElectricPaladin (author) and the indefatigable cdugger (produced). Nice work guys!

ElePal, I actually felt sorry when the story ended, would have loved to hear more! But I understand leaving it there... good place to stop.

I'm halfway through Ep90 featuring Scattercat's story. Let you know how it goes.

ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:19:20 PM »

Thanks for your feedback. I also wish I knew what happened next. I like to think that he remembered who he was and opened the door to the Invisible Kingdom... but maybe not. Don't expect me to tell you what I intended, because my imagining of the story stopped right there.

I may be biased, as they provided me with my first professional sale, but the Dunesteef is a quality podcast. Their production values are insane, some of the best I've ever heard. I mean, seriously, the only thing better than the likes of Wilson Fowlie, Alastair (did I get it right?) Stewart, and that guy with the creepy drawly voice that I keep on mistaking for Phil Rossi is full cast audio production. The Dunesteef runs some literary clunkers - who doesn't? - but I think they're batting a thousand in the production department.

In fact that's why I'm secretly happy that The Invisible Kingdom didn't get picked up by a pro-paying single narrator market. I really loved getting to hear all those different voices portraying the myriad background characters. My wife and I listened to the story together, squee-ing periodically. It was awesome.

All I've got to do now is get something else published...

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:34:53 PM »

Oh, how quickly that feeling sets in  Wink

Dude! Enjoy the moment. You'll never have a first publication again! (I mean, I can tell you're enjoying it. And the Dunesteef is rad. Just...keep enjoying it.)

But, you know, do get to work on that other thing. Clocks ticking and all that.

kibitzer
EA Staff

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »

Thanks for your feedback. I also wish I knew what happened next. I like to think that he remembered who he was and opened the door to the Invisible Kingdom... but maybe not. Don't expect me to tell you what I intended, because my imagining of the story stopped right there.

Nah, I understand. It's not a nitpick, more of a "DAMN!! Now I'll never find out what happened and I really want to!"

Alastair (did I get it right?) Stewart

Alasdair

Let us know! I'll be there, listening... or reading...

kibitzer
EA Staff

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »

So, Ep90, Scattercat's story...

Loved it, really good fun! I would say, "Ha ha ha! Eeewwww!" were it not an obvious thing to do. I found the child king ultimately creepy and ominous, but probably good for the country. He will be an interesting king indeed.  Great stuff!

Must have been a buzz listening to the audio, yes?

Scattercat
Caution:
Editor

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »

It was a ton of fun.  The Dunesteef guys have always run a top-shelf operation in that regard.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
tinygaia
Peltast

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »

I went looking for this podcast after I read this thread and finally listened to these two stories. Love them both! You both need to write sequels so I can see what comes next.

Scattercat, yours was such a great idea! I giggled throughout.

ElePal, perfect ending to a fantastic story! It made me think about what I would do in that situation. And it's your first sale? You should be so proud!

Also, thank you both for drawing my attention to this podcast. I'll be subscribing from now on.
Scattercat
Caution:
Editor

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »

Glad you guys enjoyed it.  ;-)

I don't know about sequels, though.  Part of the charm of both stories was leaving things unsaid and allowing people to fill in the gaps.  Mind you, I'm generally unenthusiastic about sequels and followup stories in the first place. 

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »

I recently got current again with all of my podcasts, and needed a new one. So, this post inspired me to check out the Dunesteef podcast and I really enjoyed both Scattercat's and ElectricPaladin's stories! (and have since gone back and listened to all the episodes released in '08)

Both endings really caught me off guard, when listening to Scattercat's and got to the author's note, I literally thought to myself "oh that's cool, they have a comment from the author as an intermission." It took about 5 minutes of their yammering* to convince me that the story really had ended. Then I had to go back and listen to the last scene again. Roll Eyes

Anyway, just wanted to chime in saying that these are some quality stories that people should definitely check out even if you don't want to tackle another podcast with a huge backlog. Smiley

*meant in no way to be disparaging, I'm kind of enjoying their yammering Cheesy
Swamp
Hipparch

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »

I have liked the Dunesteef from the start, even in those awkward early days.  (In fact, I like the awkward early days of most podcasts because it's nice to see how everything settles in and grows -- check out the early days of Drabblecast and Escape Pod).

I recently started helping to produce some of their episodes.  My first to air was Ep. 93 The Alarm.  The next couple will appear in the coming weeks/months, one featuring some familiar voices.

I have recently put up a list of  my top 10 Dunesteef eps on my blog (beat you to it Unblinking).  Although since then, I have discovered that I have missed a few in the middle, so I am catching up.  I don't think it would change the list too much though.  Scattercat's story made #2 on that list.  And while Electric Paladin's did not make the Top Ten, I really did enjoy that story as well.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast
tinygaia
Peltast

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:11 AM »

I thought that was you! (I know you've said elsewhere on the forums that your real name is Marshal...) You did a great job on that episode. Didn't they mention you're doing (or have done) another one for them?
Swamp
Hipparch

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »

I thought that was you! (I know you've said elsewhere on the forums that your real name is Marshal...) You did a great job on that episode. Didn't they mention you're doing (or have done) another one for them?

Yes, a couple more.  I'm not sure when they will show up in the schedule.  It's a lot of fun!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »

Yeah, Swamp turned me into a redneck.

Just for a little while, I mean!

Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

I have recently put up a list of  my top 10 Dunesteef eps on my blog (beat you to it Unblinking).  Although since then, I have discovered that I have missed a few in the middle, so I am catching up.  I don't think it would change the list too much though.  Scattercat's story made #2 on that list.  And while Electric Paladin's did not make the Top Ten, I really did enjoy that story as well.

Thanks for ranking me #4 (writing) and #7 (acting). I'm glad you enjoyed both.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »

Thanks for ranking me #4 (writing) and #7 (acting). I'm glad you enjoyed both.

I just got to this episode today (27 Jennifers), and I wondered if that was you! Congrats, that was a seriously awesome story!
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »

I just got to this episode today (27 Jennifers), and I wondered if that was you! Congrats, that was a seriously awesome story!

Thanks.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
tinygaia
Peltast

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 09:20:39 PM »

Just listened to "Out of the Storm" today, Swamp. Does "produced" mean you added the sound effects too? Because I want to give kudos to you if you did. Those sound effects made that story. Dang creepy!
Fenrix
Curmudgeon
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:59 AM »

I have liked the Dunesteef from the start, even in those awkward early days.  (In fact, I like the awkward early days of most podcasts because it's nice to see how everything settles in and grows -- check out the early days of Drabblecast and Escape Pod).

I recently started helping to produce some of their episodes.  My first to air was Ep. 93 The Alarm.  The next couple will appear in the coming weeks/months, one featuring some familiar voices.

Thanks for the Top 10. I'll roll these in with PodCastle and Cast Macabre now that I'm about 10 PseudoPods from done.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Faraway Ray
Lochage

"I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »

Dunesteef is great. It's actually starting to edge out the Drabblecast as my favorite fiction podcast. I think I like the genuine awkwardness of the chatty segments after the stories.

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »

Yes, you certainly did beat me to it!  Dunesteef will be my next list, but it'll be a while yet; I've got more than half their backlog to go, and with all the yammering after the show, it takes me a while to listen to each.  Especially since that yammering is enjoyable enough that I've not felt tempted to skip past any of it, unlike another podcast where I tend to immediately skip past any yammering (especially of the self-promotional variety).

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: