Author Topic: PC134: Corinthians  (Read 12719 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Re: PC134: Corinthians
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
It was like this when I watched "A Serious Man".  People swore up and down that it was this totally profound movie about God or something, but I just held my hands up when the movie ended like "WTF was that even about?".

"A Serious Man" was profound?  Well I totally didn't get it.  Nevertheless, I loved that movie.  I had the same "WTF was that even about?" reaction, but I enjoyed that.  I still have no idea what it's about, but that's life sometimes.  I don't want every movie to give me that reaction, but every once in a while it's fine (and usually happens in Coen Brothers movies).  To me, what makes the movie remarkable was that it managed to be SIMULTANEOUSLY laugh out loud hilarious and terribly depressing.  I don't know how they managed that juxtaposition, but I loved it.

(I saw this movie just before listening to Podcastle's "Dybbuk in a Bottle", so it ruined that story for me, seeing as how the Dybbuk in the PC story did not match any characteristics of Dybbuks, being pretty much a djinn with a different name)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »
The message I took away from this story was simple and made a lot of sense to me: God loves you. But He's not *in love* with you.

Very succinct.

I for one enjoyed listening to the story, though the physical descriptions of God and the way the MC liked him "just the way he is" reminded me of a Dumbledore/Hermione fanfic I read many years ago (before book 6 came out). I didn't like the MC at all, not from the start, because after a couple of minutes I knew exactly how the story would end and all she did was whine and complain about how great it was when she was with God and how upset she was without him.

The gay rabbi was a nice touch.
"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

mbrennan

• Matross
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 07:37:48 PM »
Since I tend to save up stories and then listen to them in bunches, I'm always coming late to the commenting party, but count me among those for whom this just didn't work.  I rarely feel like second-person narration adds something to the story; mostly it tends to feel like a self-consciously artificial device, preventing me from really investing with the characters.  As for the narrative itself . . . I tend to find the base concept (reminiscing over a relationship, the breakup, the awkwardness after, etc) completely unengaging, and making the boyfriend literally be God didn't change that for me.  Had it been the protagonist's decision to break up, as somebody else in this thread suggested, and God trying to get her back, that would have made me more interested, but as it stood this felt like a completely ordinary relationship story, and not at all my cup of tea.

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
  I know I am well late to the party (I am backed up on a number of my commute podcasts), but I did finally get around to listening to this. I'm afraid that the point, assuming there is one, of this story is a little lost on me, but I enjoyed it all the same. Even my wife, who generally finds "blasphemous" fiction objectionable, seemed to enjoy it.

The story made me think of Heather O'Neill's story about Mary Magdalene going to elementary school with a young Jesus. Even though the stories are both very different they felt like they had the same tone and fry sense of humour to them.

As for seeing God as The Dude, no. I picture God as wearing a smart suit, and looking very professional even with a great bunch of white hair and a beard that would make Santa jealous. The Dude is cool, but I would hardly describe him as looking professional.
"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 02:50:26 PM »
  As for seeing God as The Dude, no. I picture God as wearing a smart suit, and looking very professional even with a great bunch of white hair and a beard that would make Santa jealous. The Dude is cool, but I would hardly describe him as looking professional.

Technically, God is an amateur.  No one ever paid Him for His creative works, after all.
---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

Void Munashii

• Matross
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »

Technically, God is an amateur.  No one ever paid Him for His creative works, after all.

I dunno, after a few billion (or six thousand, if you prefer) years of practice, I think He would be a professional at it by now. I certainly can't think of any other all-powerful deities who do a better job than Him (although I am pretty wizard at The Sims).

I would say that lots of people have paid Him for his works; animal sacrifices, tithing, etc.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »

I dunno, after a few billion (or six thousand, if you prefer) years of practice, I think He would be a professional at it by now. I certainly can't think of any other all-powerful deities who do a better job than Him (although I am pretty wizard at The Sims).

I would say that lots of people have paid Him for his works; animal sacrifices, tithing, etc.

I've got to vote for amateur on this one too.  Considering he could create any of those things with a thought, they're not really payments at all.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2011, 03:42:20 PM »
I've got to vote for amateur on this one too.  Considering he could create any of those things with a thought, they're not really payments at all.

This raises an interesting point.  Is payment what I give, or what you receive, or both?  If I give you something that I consider valuable, but it's worthless to you, have I paid you or not?  What if I give up something that is of little or no value to me, but it is of great value to you?  Does it require both sides to form 'payment'?  Hmm...
"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
God is the first of the true artists. He cannot help but to create, so he is always creating. He'll make worlds in a high-rise studio on the Upper East Side, or he'll spin out galaxies in back-alleys and subway tunnels. Goodness knows he's done both. Amateur, professional, hobbyist, calling, vocation - these distinctions don't matter to God. God is creation.
Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
God is the first of the true artists. He cannot help but to create, so he is always creating. He'll make worlds in a high-rise studio on the Upper East Side, or he'll spin out galaxies in back-alleys and subway tunnels. Goodness knows he's done both. Amateur, professional, hobbyist, calling, vocation - these distinctions don't matter to God. God is creation.

Mmhm.  That's what everyone says until they make their first big sale.
---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »

This raises an interesting point.  Is payment what I give, or what you receive, or both?  If I give you something that I consider valuable, but it's worthless to you, have I paid you or not?  What if I give up something that is of little or no value to me, but it is of great value to you?  Does it require both sides to form 'payment'?  Hmm...

Hmmm, that's true.  Isn't there a story in the bible about a poor person who gives a single penny that they can't afford to give, and a rich person who gives a bunch of money that they won't miss, and the poor person is the virtuous one in the lesson because the penny is a substantial part of their income?  So perhaps that's how it's all gauged, and that's God's clue to this aspect?  Or maybe some guy made it up while he was translating, something I've always got to wonder...

Void Munashii

• Matross
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

I would say it requires both, but it does not require both parties to view the payment as any great value. If I buy something at the dollar store I am paying the agreed upon price, but I don't think either side would consider it that great of a payment.

Alternately, if I get a new TV, and offer you my old TV (this presumes that you want it) if you help me move the new one in and the old one out, I will feel like I got the better end of the deal because you helped me with the heavy lifting and took that old TV off my hands. You would feel that you got something of value as well, as you now have a TV where you did not before. Even though I did not value the payment, you did, and it is what we agreed on, so it is payment

As far as God being able to create all of these things himself, yes, of course He can, but we still give Him these things as a form of payment for His continued love and favour. We don't generally call it payment, but from it still looks like that to me.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »

... if I get a new TV, and offer you my old TV (this presumes that you want it) if you help me move the new one in and the old one out, I will feel like I got the better end of the deal because you helped me with the heavy lifting and took that old TV off my hands. You would feel that you got something of value as well, as you now have a TV where you did not before. Even though I did not value the payment, you did, and it is what we agreed on, so it is payment

But you did value the payment: you said yourself, "I will feel like I got the better end of the deal."

You may not end up with a thing you can hold in your hand, like a $100 bill, but you did 'receive' (or really, got to keep) less tangible things that you valued as much, like time, room in your home and possibly the health of your aching back!
"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
  As far as God being able to create all of these things himself, yes, of course He can, but we still give Him these things as a form of payment for His continued love and favour. We don't generally call it payment, but from it still looks like that to me.

I'd call that more of a tribute than a payment, but I guess that's more splitting hairs.  :P

skysadventure

• Extern
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 04:38:40 AM »
Hi,

I've been working my way through the back catalogue and am nearly up to date but had to comment on this one because it was funny!  As a quite deeply religious person it did not offend me in the least, and yes, reading the other posts, it is largely a relationship & break up tale, but told with a great sense of humour, religion included, which is nice for a change!

Gamercow

• Hipparch
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »
I liked this one, to a point.  I liked the descriptions, the characterizations, and the setting.  That said, I think it was stretched out too long, and may have worked better as a flash, or double-flash sized story. 

re: "Serious Man", I didn't get that movie either, but my kosher friend says that's because I'm "just not Jewish enough."
The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2011, 09:20:32 AM »
re: "Serious Man", I didn't get that movie either, but my kosher friend says that's because I'm "just not Jewish enough."

Ha!  Apparently I'm Jewish enough, despite not being Jewish.  :)  I'm certain that I missed loads of inside jokes, but I still thought it was awesome.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:22:23 AM by Unblinking »

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
Apropos of some of the ideas in this story, the blogger Jen McCreight is doing a talk in Minnesota this week (3 times!) titled "God's Lady Problem: Breaking up with abusive supernatural beings".

I wonder if she knows about this story...