Escape Artists
December 16, 2018, 01:14:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC142: Abandonware  (Read 11481 times)
acpracht
EA Staff

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »

How did I miss this one until now?

Truly a great story and a perfectly creepy concept.

As a side note by way of nostalgia - my first computer was an Adam (which used actual audio cassettes and shared my name) and another later computer of mine had a Zip drive competitor - SuperDisk. Anyone remember those?

-Adam
LaShawn
Lochage

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »

Hey, what do you know...this came up in my playlist sooner than I thought! It was good to hear it. I caught several things that I missed in my initial reading...including LEMMINGS! Holy cow, I used to play that SO MANY TIMES!!!!

Huh. I'm more of a gaming geek than I thought.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:40 AM »

Hey, what do you know...this came up in my playlist sooner than I thought! It was good to hear it. I caught several things that I missed in my initial reading...including LEMMINGS! Holy cow, I used to play that SO MANY TIMES!!!!

Great game, that was!  It probably will reflect badly on me if I admit that the best part was setting a whole clan to nuke themselves and then seeing the patterns they blast into the ground.
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »

Great game, that was!  It probably will reflect badly on me if I admit that the best part was setting a whole clan to nuke themselves and then seeing the patterns they blast into the ground.
Kinda funny but, today I was super-bored in class. Digging around my hard drive I found the old Lemmings Holiday Pack from 1994.
I spent a happy 2 hours with that Cheesy

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »

Kinda funny but, today I was super-bored in class. Digging around my hard drive I found the old Lemmings Holiday Pack from 1994.
I spent a happy 2 hours with that Cheesy

If anyone's got a Lemmings craving but doesn't have the game, Abandonia.com has 5 Lemmings games, including the Holiday pack:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/search_abandonia/lemmings
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »

Feedback segment of the "State Change" episode, waxing nostalgic about old tech, reminded me of the FSR's "Back in the Day":

Coaxke:
Back in the day, System 7.5,
Had HyperCard stacks on my SyQuest drive,
Once I got a modem I was never fuckin' bored,
Always dialin' up a BBS to play me some LORD,
I stole my school's dial-up to get the internet,
Had a copy of Ircle and no regrets,
Chillin' in #macfilez, leechin' on bots,
It took nine years to get a download spot,
Hours and hours, makin' Marathon maps,
Always on the run 'cuz I set it to caps,
Eventually I got a brand new Power Mac,
So fuckin' fast, I almost had a heart attack,
Ran a Hotline server on my school's T1,
"Win Ben Stein's Warez" was the name of that one,
Quake 3 Test in the computer lab,
Never went to class 'cuz that shit was a drag.

All:
Back in the day, Shufflepuck Cafe,
Banner ads, gettin' paid, ICQ, gettin' laid,
Back in the day, we knew Sulu was gay,
Munchin' numbers, runnin' lodes, monochrome displays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0HKHbJceAw
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:27:00 AM by stePH » Logged

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »

Oh yeah, ICQ.  The "Uh oh!" notification still rings in my ears from time to time.  I know someone who has the "Uh oh!" sound as their text message notification, but they never used ICQ so it's rather lost on them.  My ear's still perk up whenever I hear it though.
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »

Oh yeah, ICQ.  The "Uh oh!" notification still rings in my ears from time to time.  I know someone who has the "Uh oh!" sound as their text message notification, but they never used ICQ so it's rather lost on them.  My ear's still perk up whenever I hear it though.

I don't remember my login or password, or I'd go cancel it. I don't even think the e-mail I used to sign up exists anymore.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »

I don't get the "munchin' numbers" reference, and never played Shufflepuck Cafe (or Wacky Wheels, another old game referenced in the song) but I remember Lode Runner well (spent some mad hours making my own maps in that one).

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »

I don't get the "munchin' numbers" reference, and never played Shufflepuck Cafe (or Wacky Wheels, another old game referenced in the song) but I remember Lode Runner well (spent some mad hours making my own maps in that one).

Ha, I didn't even notice the "munchin' numbers" reference on my read, but I'm certain that's referring to the edutainment game "Number Munchers".  It was very popular when I was in grade school, they had some available computers for games in study hall and that was one of the games.  You're a little green dude who has to walk around a grid and eat all the number that match the level's goal (all the factors of a particular number, or multiples of a particular number, etc...).  All this while avoiding the Troggles who would try to eat you.  Some time in the 90s they even had Super Munchers based on the same concept but you'd get the opporutunity to turn into Super Muncher, who wears a cape and can Troggle-bash.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Munchers
Gamercow
Hipparch

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »

My geek-cred:  I have my first-initial-last-name@hotmail, yahoo, and gmail.  No extra numbers, letters, or garbage.  Was in the beta program for all 3.  I still remember the "WTF is a 'hotmail'" question.  I sold an invite to gmail for $10. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »

I sold an invite to gmail for $10. 

Scalper.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print