Author Topic: Hey, did that 501(3)(c) thing ever go through?  (Read 8509 times)

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
on: March 05, 2011, 03:51:14 PM
I'm getting ready to do my taxes for 2010 and I just realized we never heard definitively whether or not EscapeArtists ever got that 501(3)(c) charity status.

It'll make a big, huge, enormous difference on my taxes if you did. Let me know (preferably soon). :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:55 PM
I doubt this qualifies as "soon" -- sorry -- but the answer is Not Yet.  Tell you the truth, last I checked Steve (owner) and Paul (accountant & now acting CEO) were dabbling in research trying to figure out the easiest path to get us there, and basically wrangling with the hard conclusion that there isn't one.  It's an enormously time consuming process, and none of us get paid enough to put the kind of time into it that it would take.  Apparently it's not as simple as hiring someone who's good at that kind of thing to simplify the paperwork for us. 

I'd elaborate more, but we've reached the end of my knowledge on the subject.  There have always been, and continue to be, more immediate fires to put out.  I'm sure if they totally give up they'll announce the fact, but for now I would just say:  we all agree it would be nice to be non-profit, but given the amount of hassle involved in getting there, don't hold your breath.

goatkeeper

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:12:39 AM
You know, churches automatically have equivalent status as 501c3 orgs with tax exemp/deductible donations (aka tithing).  And because pretty much anyone can organize to worship pretty much anything without much friction from the gov. it's pretty damn easy to be considered a "church."

There's a real Cult of Cthulhu with 501c3 status for example. http://lovecraftnewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2010/02/cult-of-cthulhu-is-now-501c-3-interview.html
Mr. 'Venger Satanis' (high priest/CEO) talks about how easy it was to be granted tax exempt status by the IRS, not even realizing that he didn't even have to bother applying.

I'm pretty sure this is how GE pulled it off.  They just got together for board meetings and worshiped corporate profit.

But seriously, why not just  cut all those nasty bureaucratic corners and start worshiping Steve's invisible pink unicorn? (he's already got the manifesto written)

...because it's an example of the kinds of loophole shenanigans contributing to our massive national deficit and heavy taxing of the middle class, you say?

your mom's a loophole shanigan.
 There is no god but the invisible unicorn, and steve eley is his prophet. 

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:24:03 AM
There's a real Cult of Cthulhu with 501c3 status for example. http://lovecraftnewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2010/02/cult-of-cthulhu-is-now-501c-3-interview.html
Mr. 'Venger Satanis' (high priest/CEO) talks about how easy it was to be granted tax exempt status by the IRS, not even realizing that he didn't even have to bother applying.

You know some weird shit, dude.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:50:30 AM
Whoa, that pic was not so big when I uploaded it last night. Never mind!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:17:29 PM by Talia »

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:41:27 PM
You know, churches automatically have equivalent status as 501c3 orgs with tax exemp/deductible donations (aka tithing).  And because pretty much anyone can organize to worship pretty much anything without much friction from the gov. it's pretty damn easy to be considered a "church."

You know, I kind of support this idea.  Not necessarily for EA's benefit (though I do think that would be excellent), but also because the more people do this - make their families, their cycling groups, their book clubs, their moms' groups - into churches, the sooner the ridiculous tax-exemption for churches is liable to be pulled down.

(Actually, more likely the requirements for being a church would be tightened, but even that can start to smack of religious discrimination, if handled correctly.  >:-D * )

*This forum's emoticon palette is sadly lacking in the 'Evil Grin' category... ;)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

P.C. Haring

• Publisher
  • EA Staff
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 07:31:20 PM
The 501(c)(3) transition is not dead.  What we've found out in recent months is that there is definitely a process we need to go through.  Right now we're putting our ducks in order so that as we start working on the transition it's a lot easier to keep the administrative tasks in check.  There will be more on this forthcoming and I think you can expect an update about this in the next few weeks.

Paul Haring
Publisher and Treasurer, Escape Artists Inc.

WalkinPneumonia

• Extern
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:47:14 PM
The 501(c)(3) transition is not dead.  What we've found out in recent months is that there is definitely a process we need to go through.  Right now we're putting our ducks in order so that as we start working on the transition it's a lot easier to keep the administrative tasks in check.  There will be more on this forthcoming and I think you can expect an update about this in the next few weeks.

It's been a few months, any update?