Escape Artists
November 21, 2017, 02:08:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FINAL ROUND of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP278: Written on the Wind  (Read 15197 times)
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2011, 05:45:39 PM »

I see the point here -- the Western Human aliens. But I almost felt like the author was trying too hard to make the aliens alien by referring to their weird (to us) characteristics. This is something Scattercat pointed out to me that I was doing in a story I wrote about nonhumans, and now I'm noticing it more and more.

Bwahaha!  You cannot unsee what has been seen!  You cannot unpick the nit that has been picked!

(I do kind of agree that the aliens here weren't very alien; their behavior was totally in line with modern American office politics, basically.)

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »

I see the point here -- the Western Human aliens. But I almost felt like the author was trying too hard to make the aliens alien by referring to their weird (to us) characteristics. This is something Scattercat pointed out to me that I was doing in a story I wrote about nonhumans, and now I'm noticing it more and more.

Bwahaha!  You cannot unsee what has been seen!  You cannot unpick the nit that has been picked!

(I do kind of agree that the aliens here weren't very alien; their behavior was totally in line with modern American office politics, basically.)

Or alternately, modern American office politics are totally inline with alien behavior. Just sayin'...

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
Gamercow
Hipparch

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »

Personally, I'd rather have Office Space alien drones than something along the lines of "Wweyuw harbled the wangle frunctiously, arbinguous in guryc's gibble fong gawple."  Sometimes reference points are good.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »

What makes you assume the aliens will use a spoken language?  Or consonants?  ;-)

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »

"Wweyuw Harbled the Wangle Frunctiously"

Sounds like a great title, along the lines of Rejiggering the Thingamajig.

Alternate joke: I wish I could find a sentient to harble my wangle.

Take your pick.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
Dem
Lochage

aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2011, 04:34:34 PM »

Take your pick.
Harbling is a very underrated corporate activity. Wangling, on the other hand..

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.
tinygaia
Peltast

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »

Take your pick.
Harbling is a very underrated corporate activity. Wangling, on the other hand..
As long as they do it frunctiously, I'll take it.
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »

Lemme tell ya, frunctiousness is way over-rated.

annB
Extern

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »

Enjoyable story. Once again I found myself listening to a podcast wishing that readers would keep a dictionary handy to double-check the pronunciation of words - in this case, "consortium", "interminable", "phoneme" ("phenomes" exist, but languages have phonemes), and "modal", which is accented on the first, not the second, syllable. Yes, a minor issue, but as a word-lover, I find it jarring. Mispronunciations are the typos of audio presentations. It knocks me out of a story for a moment as I am forced to pause to assess "what was that?"
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2011, 09:55:40 AM »

Personally, I'd rather have Office Space alien drones than something along the lines of "Wweyuw harbled the wangle frunctiously, arbinguous in guryc's gibble fong gawple."  Sometimes reference points are good.

Calloo, Callay!
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2011, 01:11:31 PM »

Calloo, Callay!
He chortled in his joy?

Huh *scratches head* Huh

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »

Calloo, Callay!
He chortled in his joy?

Huh *scratches head* Huh

Oh that was just my way of chiming in to say that nonsense words can be fun too, ala The Jabberwocky.
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »

Anthropocentrism ftl.

Faster Than Light?   Wink

FOR THE LULZ

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
LaShawn
Lochage

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »

Oh, lovely, lovely story. I wasn't too hot about the other Levine story, but this one had me on the edge of my seat. Beautiful tale of perserverance in the face of bad odds, and the message at the end was surprisingly poignant.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
mbrennan
Peltast

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 02:24:03 AM »

I enjoyed this one (a lot more than I did "Wind from a Dying Star"), though I agree with a lot of the nitpicks here.

I also think the reading was a lot rougher than I usually expect from Mur, in terms of hesitations, stumbles, and mispronunciations.  Some of that was because of the alien names, true, but not all of it.  And for those complaining about the names being too alien . . . .

Not alien names per se, just the ones that shriek 'alien' by being made up of bizarre vowel/consonant arrangements.

Frankly, a lot of the world's languages have vowel/consonant arrangements that look bizarre to an Anglophone reader.  Some of my favorite examples: the Aztec god Huitzilopochtli, the Irish verb form "bhfaighidh," and the (I think) Czech last name Hrynczyszyn.  (Fun fact: depending on your dialect, that Irish verb can be pronounced like the English words "we" or "why."  No, really.)  So I actually like alien languages doing unexpected things; unless the author is a dedicated conlanger, those things are probably no more unexpected than stuff found in real human languages.

But it does pay for the reader to practice the names and words until they roll smoothly off the tongue.  Otherwise, yes, they do trip up the narration.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: