Author Topic: Pseudopod 209: Corvus Curse  (Read 32601 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 04:36:06 PM
Starting and ending your very first post in the forums by collectively calling the forum a bunch of zombie flatterers is crossing the line (everything else in your post is perfectly fine).

Can I just say that the bit about how we were all whiny babies for objecting to the use of profanity was also kind of irritating?  Especially since there was actually considerable discussion about the utility and effect of the technique rather than blanket condemnation of profanity qua profanity.  If I'm going to be insulted, I'd at least like to be insulted accurately.

It's a shame that a page of this discussion is flamebait. Maybe a topic split is in order?

It's interesting that there's been some fixation about the cursing in the discussion. It sems that Mighty may have missed where people only had a problem with the "fuck" at the end and not with the "shit" peppered throughout the tale.

Ian was a phenomenal narrator as usual. I enjoyed the crafting of the personal horror. I'm conflicted as to whether or not I dislike the ending. I would have liked a bit more exposition on how the mother cured the son or how she knew that would happen. I liked the ending line just fine. I think I would have liked it more if either the "sacrifice" didn't work or if there was an an explanation of why the "sacrifice" worked and forsehadowing from the mother that she was going to do that.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 07:19:03 PM
I am embarassed for waiting so long to listen to and post about this story.  Barry is an amazing podcaster, amazing editor, amazing narrator - and amazing author as well.

I had only a couple small problems with this story: one issue was how the narrator made implicit his desire for normalcy.  I think that was pretty apparent - especially with such great lines as the one about wanting to be able to go back as an adult and shake everyone and yell at them.  That sort of 20/20 hindsight into childhood - or the past - is something we all experience.  I liked this story in that way: we all wish we could have acted differently.  But back then, we were different people - we could not have acted differently even if we wanted to.  That's the real tragedy - and the real horror.

And, the lucky bastard, he got Ian Stuart as a narrator.  Excellent job from Ian, as usual.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:32:44 PM by Millenium_King »

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.