Author Topic: testing the waters  (Read 4119 times)

deflective

• Hipparch
on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:28 AM
anus a pluribus

i'm experimenting with doing something podcast oriented.  so, working up to it, i made a small audio commentary about community's latest episode and posted it to get some feedback.

if you listen and notice anything that could be improved please let me know (particularly if you know how to do it).  some of my own concerns are listed below but i ask that you don't look at them until you listen and form your own opinion.  thanks in advance =)

need to talk slower
audio cuts can be too obvious.  probably a result moving position between one take and the next.
pop filter

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:36:59 AM
Pretty much agree, but I thought the speed was OK. Slowing down certainly won't hurt, though.

On pop filter, it's easy to build your own for not much bux. Check this out, it's pretty much what I did and even something so simple makes a lot of difference: http://www.jakeludington.com/project_studio/20050321_build_your_own_microphone_pop_screen.html

Another thought: were you going for that echo-ey effect? Dunno if that's an artifact of the original or something you've added. Makes it sounds a little like it's through a megaphone.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:09:20 PM
the echo was added (also feedback & fumbling sounds), i was trying for an intercom effect.  there's a character in community who makes public announcements and this was supposed to emulate it.  some of my speaking style came from the show as well.  as a bonus, a lot of newb mistakes (bad mic technique, etc) can be passed off as part of the act.  it took a little time to decide how much echo was appropriate, it needs to be noticeable but not so much that it's distracting.

good to know the speed wasn't that bad.  i'll slow it down a bit but wont make it a priority.

i did jury rig a pop filter a few years ago with a coat hanger, a dryer sheet, and a stapler.  never really made use of it then but it may be time to break out the arts & crafts again.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:34:29 AM
the echo was added (also feedback & fumbling sounds), i was trying for an intercom effect.  there's a character in community who makes public announcements and this was supposed to emulate it.  some of my speaking style came from the show as well.  as a bonus, a lot of newb mistakes (bad mic technique, etc) can be passed off as part of the act.  it took a little time to decide how much echo was appropriate, it needs to be noticeable but not so much that it's distracting.

k cool, just wasn't sure if that's the effect you wanted. I don't think it was distracting -- noticeable, yes (hence the question) but not distracting.