Author Topic: WOLFMAN MAC'S CHILLER DRIVE-IN  (Read 6075 times)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
on: March 25, 2011, 02:00:31 AM
I hope those of you with a cable supplier that gets RTV - Retro Television, are catching WOLFMAN MAC'S CHILLER DRIVE-IN (most affiliates carrying RTV seem to be showing it on Saturday nights from 10pm to midnight).  It's a regional Horror Host show from Pontiac, Michigan that got the gig after they dumped the previous horror host show they were playing (which was pretty lousy, even by horror host standards) and now plays nationally wherever they happen to put RTV on the lineup (they also show ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, which is pretty cool).  Wolfman Mac is an affable host in full werewolf makeup, bowling shirt and cool 50's greaser persona, his sidekick is Boney Bob, a skeletal ventriloquist's dummy with popping 3D eyes, and there's a load of other characters (although none of them play as well to the camera as Mac and Boney).  Since MST3K re-invented the genre, they just can't *play* the movies, of course, so purists should avoid, as all kinds of messing around is done with the film including obvious edits, audio overlays, sound effects - they usually include an old cartoon or some old commercials as well.  It's a lot of fun and informed by a Subgenius sense of humor, so that means obscure B-Movie references, fart jokes and overlaid Dobbs imagery.  I just love the low-rent American tradition of vaudevillian buffoonery, costume clowning and regional spookshow thrills that make up horror hosting, so if you're looking for a fun way to spend a Saturday night, check it out.  Fans of MST3K especially.  So far I've seen episodes with PHANTOM PLANET, THE SHE-BEAST, WEREWOLF IN A GIRL'S DORMITORY and I BURY THE LIVING.

They were showing OFF-BEAT THEATER in the midnight to 2 am slot, a exploitation film show hosted by beatniks that originated in Buffalo (or Syracuse, I forget), but seem to have stopped running that one.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:41:04 AM
Any online resources for these things?  We haven't had cable television in my house since I was 12...

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:55 PM
The show's website is here:

http://www.chillerdrive-in.com/

We don't have cable either, actually. When they replaced broadcast TV a year or so ago digital antennas began to be available.  They allow you to get "free" television (once you've bought the antenna) and there's a surprising number of channels (including foreign news) available.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:09:27 PM
Big fan of Wolfman Mac's here! I watch every week and usually comment on the show's facebook thread as it airs. This season has had more bookend stuff than the last two, but it's been very funny. Also, any episode where Boney Bob features heavily is worth watching.

For those who haven't seen it, it's a standard issue sort of horror movie show that broadcasts public domain titles (mostly, they did get Warner Brothers to let them show King Kong Escapes) with little edits here and there for time -- and comedy (Godzilla graffiti in King Kong Escapes, for example, or a cut scene replaced with text that says "yes, we cut that scene", some fart noises, stuff sped up or slowed down, and generally messed with. The movies are bookended between Wolfman Mac and Boney Bob (and his supporting cast of loons) in the projection room of the Chiller Drive In dealing with some other crisis, usually brought on by Boney Bob.

My favorite comedy edits are -

The Chinese UN representative being repeated and slowed down saying "Excerrent! EXERRENT! EX-ERRR-ENNNNT!" in Gammera: The Invincible.

The complete removal of the sappy end song at the sock hop in Giant Gila Monster replaced with a three-lick death metal guitar strum and repeated for 30 seconds.

The rainbow ray dance in Gamera Vs Barugon.

Boney Bob's cameo's in Screaming Skull.

My only disappointment is that RTV doesn't have an HD feed here in New Hampshire so some of the eps, like Screaming Skull or Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory are almost unwatchable in SD. Friend them on facebook too as they are very active posters. Also, if you live in Michigan they host tons of B-movie events in and around Lansing, I think.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:15:33 PM
Thanks for the link!  I will most definitely be investigating.  (I am a tremendous MST3K fan.  Like, to the point where I have a hundred VHS tapes of the show that I recorded off of SciFi and Comedy Central etc. during the last years of reruns because I was so sad that it was leaving.  I had to go to other people's houses to record them, sometimes.  I also own all the box sets they've sold thus far, and have bought an entire disc-folder full of movies I would never want to own just to have them on hand for my Rifftrax.)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:03:02 AM
Back in the day, I was fond of Doctor Tongue's Monster Chill Theater in 3D (wooooooo! Scaaaaaary!)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 02:52:58 AM
Oh, Woody Tobias Jr. had such a career!  Loved Floyd Robertson's turtleneck as well...