Author Topic: Intro to Radio course  (Read 8518 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
on: April 04, 2011, 03:23:52 AM
Hello fellow narrators, sound producers and anyone else interested.

I'm considering doing a course called "Radio: Introduction" which gives you an idea of radio production at a community station. I think this could be great as background for both narration and sound production. Any thoughts? I know some of you have done radio stuff before so I'm interested in your perspective.

Course details here: http://www.cae.edu.au/web/?class=HWD53802

goatkeeper

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:10:06 AM
You should be teaching this Graeme. 
Wait till you folks hear kbitch read in the next Drabblecast, you'll all agree.
The guy is one of my top 5 voices on the web.  His eagerness to keep learning is that much more inspiring.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:25:50 AM
@gk -- thx! quite an accolade... muchly appreciated...

So, I decided to go ahead and do this course. If nothing else it "sounds" (see what I did there?) like a lot of fun. I mainly want to see what a "pro" setup looks like, learn about mic technique and maybe -- just maybe! -- see if this might be the beginnings of a late-in-life second career. It starts Wednesday May 11 (about a month) and I'm already looking forward to it!

On a side note... The course description says, "This course is held at Joy FM Melbourne." It does not say, "This course is held at Joy FM Melbourne, an independent voice for the diverse lesbian and gay communities in Melbourne." Their broadcast building is in a very conveniently central place in Melbourne, possibly one of the reasons the course is held there. I have no problem at all with the nature of the station; I just think some folks who want to do the course might be in for a little bit of a shock :-)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:52:43 AM
In case anyone was ever following this...

I quit after 2 weeks of 5. It was very cool being in an actual radio station, learning to use the panel and all. But in the end, using the panel and cueing up songs isn't what I was after. I reckon I can learn that kind o' stuff as easily as a new computer language or new piece of software, which is what I do all the time in my profession as a software developer. No, what I wanted was tips on voice, tone, intonation, characterisation and such. I want to be the new Billy West!!! (well, sorta...)

On a recommendation from a friend, I'm looking into another course specifically for voiceovers. (here, and click on "Voice Overs for Radio and TV Courses": http://www.melbourneradioschool.com/courses/). Looks better. We'll see!

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 02:27:54 PM
Keep us updated! I'm similiarly interested in "tips on voice, tone, intonation, characterisation and such."

I'm lurking on you now, bro. :)

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:34:11 AM
I shall be looking over my shoulder :)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 02:51:37 AM
A little different but I'm now consider this Audio Mastering course from SAE Institute.

DruidPrince

• Extern
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:53:47 AM
I'm just curious if you took the courses and what you thought. I know the post is old, I'm a newbie poking around and as a disc jockey myself, I'm always curious about these courses.

The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing.
-Blaise Pascal

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 01:22:01 AM
I'm just curious if you took the courses and what you thought. I know the post is old, I'm a newbie poking around and as a disc jockey myself, I'm always curious about these courses.

Haven't done it yet, still procrastinating :)