Escape Artists
November 21, 2017, 02:17:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FINAL ROUND of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP286: The ’76 Goldwater Dime  (Read 14540 times)
acpracht
EA Staff

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »

I can hear it now:

"Well, there's not really much of a market for these... And I actually have to find somewhere to sell them. And, you know, that's time I have to put in. Tell you what, I've feeling generous today sooo... $50."
"$50?! Geez um... I was hoping for more like 10 grand...Huh..."
"All right, all right. I'll give you $65 - that's something like 50 times the face value."
"But it's Goldwater on a dime!"
(silence)
*Sigh* "Oh, all right. $65." Mumbled: "*$#@ health insurance *&%$ going through the $#@& roof."

Later, to the camera:
"Holy $*&! I can't believe he sold these. I'm going to retire to Cancun."

I listened to this on the way into work this morning, and found myself dumping the small amount of change I have on to my desk as soon as I walked in. Much to my dismay, I only found the faces of "the usual dead white guys" in my pocket.

While there wasn't much of a true story involved in this telling, the concept of inter-dimensional coinage finding its way into the hands of a "specialized collector" is still quite fascinating.

PS: I wonder how much the narrator could get for his 12 coins on Pawn Stars?
mrguido45
Extern

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »

I flat-out *loved* this story, which hasn't happened for me on Escape Pod for a while. People complained that there wasn't a story, but I think that's a strenght here. Too many good concepts are ruined by trying to shoe-horn them into a narrative. This is a good example where the idea itself is worth exploring and trying to build a story around it might weight it down. Another example of this was "Problems in end-stage demon conflict..."
I like collecting things, and I love the idea of the narrator recognizing the uniqueness right off and finding them. I also liked the open-ended mystery of their origin, and I think a forced explanation might have hampered that mystery somewhat. It's a lot more exciting to have multiple possible implied causes than to lose the shadows to the spotlight of exposition.
Planish
Hipparch

Fun will now commence.

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2011, 01:41:23 AM »

I liked the story and Norm's reading.
This story doesn't have a whole lot of actual story to it, but is a memorable portrait of a particular type of person.  The character of the narrator of the story becomes clear as the story unfolds, as he describes how he became interested in coin collecting as an occupation, and how it became the centre of his life.  His particular obsession - coins from other realities.
And that must be why.

I mean, hey, the title itself was a major spoiler (if not the whole story in a nutshell), but listening to this story was like watching Penn and Teller do the Cup and Balls trick. You know pretty much what to expect, but it's still entertaining to see.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2011, 03:09:13 AM »

I mean, hey, the title itself was a major spoiler (if not the whole story in a nutshell)

Only if you're a North American. Otherwise, I recognise the word "dime".

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 10:16:25 AM »

I mean, hey, the title itself was a major spoiler (if not the whole story in a nutshell)

And many younger North Americans wouldn't know it either.  I was not born yet during the time when Goldwater was a major name.  I did recognize the name, but I think I only did because I remembered the name from Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis" where someone had an "Au H2O" bumper sticker on their car (which are the chemical symbols for Goldwater).
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »

And many younger North Americans wouldn't know it either.  I was not born yet during the time when Goldwater was a major name.  I did recognize the name, but I think I only did because I remembered the name from Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis" where someone had an "Au H2O" bumper sticker on their car (which are the chemical symbols for Goldwater).

I second this. I was born in the 80's, so the name Goldwater meant absolutely nothing to me.
jwbjerk
Palmer

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

And Norm gives it just a perfect on-the-edge-of-demented reading...
Agree.  The narration was a great fit.

In spite of nothing happening, and the premise being spoiled by the title, I enjoyed it a lot.  The twisted-ness but believable-ness of the protagonist's perspective held my attention, i wasn't just waiting for something to happen.

But I don't think it closed very well.  The idea of "alternate reality coins" was my first thought from the title, so that was no surprise, and there was really no additional twist to the end.  I felt slightly insulted that author felt the need to explain it so clearly to me, in the absence of any other twist it might have been more fun if the protagonist had no concept of "alternate realities" and was barely interesting in the origin of the coins.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: