Author Topic: A Game of Thrones TV series  (Read 23954 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: April 17, 2011, 10:08:36 PM
Am I the only one shivering in anticipation for this?  It premiers tonight, and I will be putting my lemon cakes in the oven in just a few hours!

Yay!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:58:54 AM
Am I the only one shivering in anticipation for this?  It premiers tonight, and I will be putting my lemon cakes in the oven in just a few hours!

Yay!

Be sure to tell us what you think of it!

danooli

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:23:05 AM
I thought it was great :)

Quite a few minor changes, but to be expected when doing an adaptation.

It was, I believe, the beginning of a new era for fantasy on TV. This was no Legend Of The Seeker!  ;D

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:29:27 AM
I thought it was great :)

Quite a few minor changes, but to be expected when doing an adaptation.

It was, I believe, the beginning of a new era for fantasy on TV. This was no Legend Of The Seeker!  ;D

I heard it was... how shall I say... uninhibited in its depiction of clothing or lack thereof.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:35:10 AM
it's a good pilot, i'm just worried it might be another walking dead situation where the first episode raises expectations and then the series horribly disappoints.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:36:07 AM
My TiVo recorded the frist episode as a "suggestion". I deleted it unwatched: I don't receive HBO.
SRSLY It pisses me off no end that I have to keep deleting these blocks of dead air from channels I don't get. You'd think the software could take that into account when making suggestions.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:47:25 AM
it's a good pilot, i'm just worried it might be another walking dead situation where the first episode raises expectations and then the series horribly disappoints.

You're the first person I've heard say that about 'Walking Dead.' My friends seem to be enjoying it.

(I haven't personally seen it yet, but I look forward to watching it eventually)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 03:49:51 AM

You're the first person I've heard say that about 'Walking Dead.' My friends seem to be enjoying it.

(I haven't personally seen it yet, but I look forward to watching it eventually)
FWIW, I'm in the same camp. Thought the first 2-3 episodes were amazing. HATED episode 5-6.

Looking forward to Game of Thrones coming out on DVD, though!

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:13:43 AM
it could be familiarity with the story before it was made into a television series.  the pilot was very faithful to the plot & feel of the comic, the finale wasn't even close.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:43:01 AM
As a fan of the books, I loved the first episode.  I do wonder though, how much is lost on someone who isn't already familiar with the world.  The books have time to detail things out.  The show is putting those details on screen, but not telling you what they mean.  I'd like to hear an opinion from someone to whom the show is their first exposure to Game of Thrones.  Would they be a little lost?  Bored?  Though I don't think anyone would be able to say it isn't pretty...

danooli

Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:13 AM
I've been polling my friends and coworkers who have not read the series but who saw Sundays episode...so far, all glowing reviews and no trouble with the characters.  We'll see how that changes as the plot and number of characters progress  ;D

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 02:08:12 PM
the first book wasn't that bad (i don't think) and they could easily get a couple seasons out of each book, depending on how much they include.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 03:49:30 PM
Looks like they did well enough with the first episode to renew it for Season 2: A Clash of Kings.

ETA: Linkage
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:57:45 PM by DKT »

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 03:51:41 PM
Admin note: This thread has been split into speculation about the series when it was in development, and this thread for conversation about the show now that it's airing.

danooli

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 12:31:56 AM
Looks like they did well enough with the first episode to renew it for Season 2: A Clash of Kings.

ETA: Linkage

Yippee!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 05:36:38 AM
I thought this first episode was okay... It moved really fast, I felt a lot was lost in translation.  Also, I never pictured the white walkers as the predator monster.  I kinda pictured slow moving Nazgul-like things.  And wasn't it the old guy who was found as a deserter and killed? (not like that really matters in the end)
I thought a lot of the 'who's who' of characters wasn't fleshed out enough... I mean, I knew who was who, but someone who hasn't read the book?  So many characters, so rarely named.  And that stupid scene with Arya asking/telling who was who when the king showed up was the dumbest way of doing it.

I did, however, like the depictions of most of the characters, especially Tyrion and Cersei.  The character I didn't like was Khal Drogo.  Braids instead of bells?  That doesn't get the same idea across... he can't steal his enemy's braids and add them to his own!

Oh and that dead dire wolf looked insanely fake.  Like 1980's fantasy movie fake.

Still, excited for the next episode! :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 01:43:34 PM
I've watched the first two episodes with marginal exposure to the books. I've been harangued for years to read them and couldn't make it more than 50 pages in. The abusively large cast of characters who are not particularly likeable drove me off. After my first reading section I couldn't keep anyone straight and couldn't have coherently explained to someone else what happened, I put the book down.

The screen writers have done a great job. Film allows the easy focus of showing who the critical characters are, who the supporting characters are, and allows a quick introduction of everyone without being burdensome. Watching the miniseries actually has me considering picking up the books again. It'll be easier to focus knowing who's who going in and I'll be able to experience some of the richness and depth of the tale.

With regards to The Walking Dead, I enjoyed those as well with no exposure to the source material. I missed the second episode, which I've heard is phenomenal. Starting in episode three, it got a bit less action-y and more soap opera-y. I think they missed the balance of zombies to talking as the series progressed.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 07:31:11 PM
four episodes in and i like what they're doing with it.

i've been watching it with people that haven't read the books and i made a habit of filling in the details since the show needs to skim over a lot of background.  now, i'm beginning to trust that the show will fill them all in when pacing allows it.

Sansa's friendship with the butcher's boy, the meaning of Jon Snow's name, the myth behind Targaryen's blood line.  all covered in good time.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 05:16:54 PM
Oh snap the fourth episode was awesome.  They pack so much into each episode but really don't lose enough to make me annoyed!

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 11:55:35 PM
this series was solid through and through.
i hope they keep this going for years to come and it heralds an age of quality tv fantasy.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:39:06 AM by deflective »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:52 AM
this series was solid through and through.
i hope they keep this going for years to come and it heralds an age of quality tv fantasy.

quoted for truth

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 07:03:33 PM

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 05:21:57 AM
soooo cool!  almost everyone is exactly how I've pictured them!  Intrigued about the addition of the new Lannister character, but I trust it won't deviate too much.  I really like what they did with the first season, especially with Renly/Lorras.  It adds a whole new dimension to how I read the characters in the books, which I can't say for MANY MANY other book adaptations.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 06:56:14 PM
To comment on both: I watched Walking Dead before borrowing the graphic novels. My wife and I enjoyed the series. After reading them, I see how unfaithful the series has been to the books, which is a shame. The books are SO grim, though, that it may have been too much of a risk for the executives to take.

As for Game of Thrones, I have read the books but my wife hasn't. She enjoyed the series okay, but the pacing was too slow for her, which I get. I have thoroughly enjoyed the series, though.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 01:57:02 PM
soooo cool!  almost everyone is exactly how I've pictured them!  Intrigued about the addition of the new Lannister character, but I trust it won't deviate too much.  I really like what they did with the first season, especially with Renly/Lorras.  It adds a whole new dimension to how I read the characters in the books, which I can't say for MANY MANY other book adaptations.

It's getting fuzzy for me now, since I watched them a few months ago, but I generally liked the differences between the book and the show, I think Lyssa is better as a harpy-ish looking woman than a frumpy-ish looking woman.  Fits the "bird in a nest" metaphor better. I liked the more outward display of the Renly/Loras relationship.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"