Author Topic: 2011 Hugo Nominees are in :)  (Read 4350 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: April 24, 2011, 10:33:21 PM
Many familiar names, including another nomination for StarShipSofa. :)

This year's Kij Johnson story is awesomely creepy, and far, far less controversial than 'Spar.' :P

eytanz

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:04:08 PM
Interestingly, only four story nominations this year. Is that a policy change or just a sign of low variation in the votes?

Mav.Weirdo

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:19:20 AM
Interestingly, only four story nominations this year. Is that a policy change or just a sign of low variation in the votes?

I think it is a sign of high variation in the votes. There is a rule that says "No nominee shall appear on the final Award ballot if it received fewer nominations than five percent (5%) of the number of ballots". Apparently 5th place got less than 5%.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:54:53 AM
I see Doctor Who once again sweeps the "Best Dramatic Presentation - Short" -- along with the Ray Bradbury fornication song. :-)

Total ignorance: are the Escape Artists 'casts eligible for any of these?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:44:14 AM
Congrats to all the nominees. I really enjoyed reading a lot of these already, and have a few more to add onto the list once I'm through with A Song of Ice and Fire and my current non-genre reading.

This year's Kij Johnson story is awesomely creepy, and far, far less controversial than 'Spar.' :P

But it haunts your dreams far more than Spar ever did. There are things that cannot be unread, like Spar, and then there is Ponies.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:46:39 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:15:31 PM
Are there still plans on airing these on EP as in past years?  

Edited to add:  I think the Hugo awards(and many awards) would look much different with no names attached to the stories.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:14:40 PM by Gamercow »

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:55:53 PM
Are there still plans on airing these on EP as in past years?  

Yes.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:57:18 PM
From what I understand, the amount of Hugo votes this year was way more than they were expecting (I think I read "record-breaking" somewhere, but am too tired and/or lazy to find the link). And yet it's interesting that there weren't enough votes for fifth short story (due to the 5% thing). I don't know if that speaks to the diversity and richness of the field, but wow, kind of a bummer that despite there being so many good stories out there, there's only four stories in that category.

eytanz

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:28:11 PM
That's the problem with setting the minimum as a percentage rather than a fixed number. But on the other hand, a story that got less than 5% of the nominations is very unlikely to win.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:05:45 AM
That's the problem with setting the minimum as a percentage rather than a fixed number. But on the other hand, a story that got less than 5% of the nominations is very unlikely to win.

Well, unless it came in near the end of the eligiblity period, or simply hadn't reached a wide audience.