Author Topic: Tornado  (Read 1768 times)

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
on: April 29, 2011, 03:01:38 PM
Hi all. I just wanted to take a moment to bring to everyone's attention the devastation that happened in the American South on April 27-28. Tornadoes ripped through Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, and, after the final fatality count is made, they will probably prove the most deadly on record. I know many of us have contributed to relief efforts in Japan, Haiti, etc., and those disasters were deadlier than the one this post is about, but, if you have the means, these areas could really use the help. Most of them are blue collar neighborhoods, and they've lost what little they had to begin with. A small community called Smithville about 45 minutes from my home was completely obliterated. They have a population of about 900, and while death tolls in the press only state about 30, people we know that live there are saying it's closer to 100 (over 10% of the population!). J.J. Jasper, a friend of mine that works at a network radio station, flew over the area and shot this photo (it's amazing how clearly you can see the path the tornado took):

The most reliable places I know of to donate are the Red Cross and Convoy of Hope. I'm not entirely comfortable posting these types of topics, but I appreciate your patience and understanding.