Author Topic: 2011 Nebula winners  (Read 4690 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: May 22, 2011, 01:52:08 AM
Congrats to all! (in particular Rachel Swirsky!).

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:25:30 AM
"Ponies" won?  Once again, I do not understand awards.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:27:45 AM
"Ponies" won?  Once again, I do not understand awards.

technically it tied with the Harlan Ellison story (!), but I donno, I found that story pretty powerful myself, if disturbing.

But then, controversy and disagreement over Ms. Johnson's stories are nothing new :D They oft do hit nerves.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:19:26 PM
Congrats to the winners (SWIRSKY! You the bomb at PodCastle yo!)  ;D

Has anyone read the Willis books?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:34:56 AM
"Ponies" won?  Once again, I do not understand awards.

technically it tied with the Harlan Ellison story (!), but I donno, I found that story pretty powerful myself, if disturbing.

But then, controversy and disagreement over Ms. Johnson's stories are nothing new :D They oft do hit nerves.

I mean, she won the Nebula last year for Scar. I'd say Ponies is a little more disturbing that Scar, but that's purely a matter of personal preference. (For the record, we're not running Ponies during the Month O'Hugos, but that is only because we couldn't secure the rights to the story.)

Congrats to everyone, though especially Rachel.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:25:23 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13:57 PM
Has anyone read the Willis books?

Just finished it.
Apparently Willis is so huge star, that she doesn't need an editor anymore.
If about 50% of running around accomplishing nothing, and nonstop worrying by fairly stupid and irritating characters would have been cut away this horribly overlong two part book would have fairly good, one volume novel.

joderu

• Extern
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:31:56 AM

I mean, she won the Nebula last year for Scar. I'd say Ponies is a little more disturbing that Scar, but that's purely a matter of personal preference. (For the record, we're not running Ponies during the Month O'Hugos, but that is only because we couldn't secure the rights to the story.)

Congrats to everyone, though especially Rachel.

More disturbing than "Spar?" Ooh, tough call but I'd say "Spar" by a nose. Involuntary alien sex is pretty close to as disturbing a scenario as I can imagine. Ponies more cruel though. Both difficult to consume for the empathetic reader.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:18:33 AM by joderu »