Escape Artists
July 22, 2018, 01:34:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP308: Kill Me  (Read 7895 times)
jayazman
Extern

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »

Mostly I liked it.  I know some people have a gripe with the 3 months thing, but the explanation that it is the implant which kills the body was enough for me as it is not the main point of the story.  The idea of having legal murder, to let people who have these tendencies act them out in a "safe" way is interesting.  It did make me wonder what other urges some people have could be made legal.  I think if we ever get something like a holodeck, we will find out.
Like most people I did find the contract a little disappointing.  There was nothing stated that would prevent Ada from indulging a little, and getting out of the contract was surprisingly easy.  If there was some enforcement clause that prevented her from getting out of the contract, now that would have been more interesting.  Since the theme seemed to be about control, and Antonio wanted to control someone from beyond the grave, the contract seemed to be rather lacking in the control aspect.
Didn't hate it, but not one of my favorites.
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2011, 12:25:51 AM »

I really found this story dumb.

• Studies show, killers work up to murder and then go even further from there. So, there is no validity in the premise of sanctioned pseudo murder as a safety valve.
  • Masochists don't want to kill themselves, people with suicidal tendencies do.
  • Relinquishing power is not a form of power.

I could go on and on with all the little dumb things that tried to pass off as wisdom in this story. It just felt very poorly thought out.
Corcoran
Palmer

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 02:29:07 PM »

How do I say this without hurting some felings ? I´ll try to be nice
I earn my money with S/M. I teach S/M, I live S/M.
I know a lot of people who have something to do with S/M.
Stories like this a lot in the S/m forums, not in this quality, but the concept
of someone who cannot die and so you can murder him is something you read
every half year. But if you take all the people who do S/M, people who go to such extrems
are very very seldom, most of them are on the verge of mental illness.
I realize my english is not good enough to convey everything I would like to say,m so I cut this short.
This is a story with mistakes, a lot of the things labeled here as masoschism arent masoschism.
Full body suspension does not hurt, I teach this in "Love Bondage Workshop"
Take the story, but forget the masoschism part, Here is to much just wrong.
El Barto
Peltast

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 05:36:05 PM »

I thought this was a fascinating episode, though it got less fascinating as the story went on.  I was hoping they were going to explore the idea of the backups and perhaps the main character finding out she was an illegal backup.   Alas, it went in a different direction.

I want to say that stories that explore sexuality are difficult to do well, but this story was written in a way that suggested sex was completely uninvolved, which struck me as bizarre, and somewhat emblematic of contemporary American social mores.  Murder me for money?  Sure!   Any sexual contact first?  Crazy!  (I could imagine the movie version of this story getting a PG-13 rating -- unless there was some nudity.)

I see that a bunch of people were put off by the lack of detail concerning the enforcement mechanism in the contract.   I don't recall the exact language in that scene but my memory is there was a long complicated contract and I assumed there were dozens of pages that described how the creepy rich guy's representatives would monitor her behavior somehow.

A variation of this story I'd love to see someone write is a world where memory drugs are perfected and people can go into a facility, get an injection, and know that whatever they do and say for the next 12 hours they will not remember anything and there would be no record of what happens.   Would you go?  What would you do?   Who would you take with you and what would you tell them, knowing they'd never remember???
hardware
Matross

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »

As some others here, I really liked the opening, the whole scene of the first kill, the waking up and so on. But as soon as there was this need to start explaining the technology it quickly went downwards. It just became clear that the author had an interesting idea but no compelling way to tell it. The rules of the world felt arbitrary and only existed to serve the story and the idea of the contract was not very strong (in general, what's up with people thinking they will find pleasure in what happens on earth after their own death, thats just silly.) I have liked some of Kaftans stories before, so it was a minor disappointment. Hopefully next one will be stronger.
deflective
Hipparch

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »

ah, a good old Steve selected story.  
technology with half-baked, contrived rules designed to dehumanize & control the protagonist.  i don't mind so much when it's just an occasional story like this.
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 03:01:58 PM »

A variation of this story I'd love to see someone write is a world where memory drugs are perfected and people can go into a facility, get an injection, and know that whatever they do and say for the next 12 hours they will not remember anything and there would be no record of what happens.   Would you go?  What would you do?   Who would you take with you and what would you tell them, knowing they'd never remember???

There are such drugs already; alcohol in sufficient quantities. Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: