Author Topic: Something wicked this way comes...DEADLINES!  (Read 6357 times)

nevermore_66

• Palmer
    • My Blog
on: February 16, 2010, 11:41:36 PM
Hello, all. Thought I'd enter a thread in this realm of keeping each other honest. Anything to fight off dreaded procrastination.

A while back, I wrote Pseudopod 121: "Blood, Snow, and Sparrows".

This is what I'm up to lately...

Putting Words in Conan's Mouth
These days, I'm in Oslo, Norway, writing dialogue for the Age of Conan MMO computer game.

A little over a year ago, I got it in my head that video game companies make money...maybe one of them would pay me to write. So I looked up "Video Game Companies" on Wikipedia, and spent the next two weeks going over a hundred or more websites, bookmarking them in priority of what looked promising. And then I sent out a dozen or two applications and sets of writing samples. Funcom contacted me, and a bit on a whim, I hopped from Chicago to Norway and here I am 8 months into a 1 year contract (and a little over a month away from the release of the game expansion I'm working on). It's been a little weird to up and leave everything, but exciting to see more of the world, and nice to get payed fairly well to write every day (if I wasn't living in the most expensive city on earth, I'd really be swingin').

It's a good gig, but I want to get going again on my own projects...

Troubled Superman
Yesterday, I submitted a 249 word story to a Micro-Fiction Contest for troubled/troubling supermen(women) http://hilobrow.com/2010/01/26/hilo-micro-fiction-contest/. You can see it towards the bottom of that page. It's not listed with a title, but if it had one, it would be "Parasomnia".

Poem
Last week, I submitted a poem titled "The Cadaver and the Corbie" to Eureka Literary Magazine. Eureka College is my alma mater, and they were asking for alumni submissions, so no huge accomplishment if it gets printed there, but it did make me get off my butt and revise a poem (and I'm happy to participate).

More Dread
I've got a story, "The Mulligan", that started as poetic prose...then I tried to morph it into a narrative poem, submitted it, and had it rejected (the editors said it sounded too much like a prose story cut into stanzas...but thought it would definitely find a home as prose).  I'll take that as a sign and head back into the laboratory to saw it up and stitch it back into a short story. I think I'll do that this weekend, get some opinions on it, polish it, and submit it somewhere before the month is out--not sure where yet, but once it finds a print home, I'd like to submit it to Podcastle. It's sort of a modern twist on Arthurian lore...but mostly it's a creepy story about a boy and his mother.

White Wolf
I'm also working on my very long overdue novel for White Wolf Publishing. I need to get to bed...but I'll post more on this later.

"There is no exquisite beauty…without some strangeness in the proportion."
~Edgar Allan Poe, "Ligeia"

nevermore_66

• Palmer
    • My Blog
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:36:13 PM
I recently finished my first published novel. This is a project I have worked on (on and off) for well over six years, and is released by  White Wolf Publishing.

The novel is called STRANGENESS IN THE PROPORTION. It is currently being discussed  HERE . It will soon be sold as an ebook (and hopefully a print book as well). Right now you can read all 19 parts of it at the links bellow:

Strangeness in the Proportion, part 1
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 2
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 3
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 4
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 5
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 6
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 7
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 8
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 9
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 10
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 11
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 12
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 13
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 14
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 15
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 16
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 17
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 18
 Strangeness in the Proportion, part 19

But What's the Book About?

Well...

Synopsis #1 (provided by the narrator)
Would you like to hear a story?

This is a good one. And very short.

This is the story and the story goes: Simon meets Janie D. at work. She tells him who hurt her. She smiles. This is love. This is rigor mortis.

The end.

There is a longer story. The devils all lurk in the details.

Synopsis #2
Boy meets girl. Boy looses girl. Boy gets girl back...one piece at a time.

Synopsis #3
An absinthe addicted forensic pathologist (with a ghost tree full of undead ravens living inside his head) must enter a frightening, supernatural world to get his precious Jane Doe back.

Synopsis #4
Necrophiles need love too. They just have to dig down deep for it.

Synopsis #5 (a visual flow chart of the plot)

nevermore_66

• Palmer
    • My Blog
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:21:14 PM

Looky, looky, lovelings!

There is now a Facebook page for my novel, Strangeness in the Proportion, here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strangess-in-the-Proportion/120069551410464?ref=hnav

Take a peak. Hit the LIKE button. More fun stuff to come.