Author Topic: EP690/EP298: The Things (Flashback Friday)  (Read 48917 times)

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #75 on: August 04, 2019, 11:37:45 PM
I’m rooting for the THING. She/he/they (NOT it {christ almighty, that’s a bigoted pronoun}) is just trying to find like minded collective intelligences. Even though I’m a biochemical meat sack without a decentralized central nervous system, I appreciate they’s point of view.  8) Buuuuuuut, no. I wont let them commune with me (too gooey, and tentacled).  ::)

Um, I see there’s another, more heated discussion above. Yeah... I’ll catch up on it LATER.

Your gentleman forester up on the North Bruce Peninsula,
ScubaMan.

Ps - saw the July/19 update about the 2019-2020 Artemus Rising initiative. You have my monetary & ethical support, eh.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #76 on: August 20, 2019, 12:40:28 AM
Interesting to see the cultural evolution of the conversation regarding "fanfic" starting with this thread a number of years back through "Fandom for Robots" getting a Hugo nod last year and AO3 winning a Hugo this past weekend. And the author of the original short story this comes from got thoroughly dunked on during the Hugo ceremony speeches.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the number of people this story resonated with who have not seen Carpenter's movie. While not everyone, definitely more than I expected. A story that responds to a film that is now over 35 years old which was a derivative work of a story that is now over 80 years old. The Thing is in my Top 5 Carpenter Film list, which shifts positions dependent on the time of year, and I enjoyed this story.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #77 on: October 02, 2019, 03:40:45 PM
Cool story.

How awesome would it be to hear this one read by Keith David?