Author Topic: Heard any good podiobooks lately? :)  (Read 48851 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #50 on: December 18, 2010, 08:19:34 PM
Some that I missed posting about, all from podiobooks.com.

Seconded about Conjuring Raine. I really enjoyed that, though I too noticed the chirping. Hehe.

I have different feelings on Beautiful Red and Murder at Avedon Hill. I liked both of those - although 'Red' mostly for the world-building, which I found interesting. 'Murder at Avedon Hill' was IMHO a fun little tale - yes, long, but I think the story he was telling merited the length. Great production too.

Crescent, by Phil Rossi. It's a really good mash-up of Lovecraft and dark sci-fi.

Murder at Avadon Hill by P.G. Hollyfield. Although definitely flawed in ways - mostly ways that don't bother anyone but me - it's also really good and fun to listen to.

I liked Crescent a good deal too. Creeeeepy.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #51 on: January 02, 2011, 05:12:05 AM
I quite enjoyed most of Crescent, but I thought the ending was rushed, or that it was leading up to a sequel, or something. It was quite a while ago.

For Nathan Lowell fans - Owner's Share is under way at podiobooks.
Yay!

I'm about 2/3 done with Phil Rossi's Harvey. So far, I think it's at least as good as Crescent. As with Crescent, it's not really clear what the exact nature of the Big Bad is.

---------------------
Another "could not finish" was Mercy Bend, by Mark Eller. I just could not stand listening to the raving lunatic stylings of the narrator in the framing story that introduces each episode. Just too long, too annoying, and over the top. It's a disappointment, because I quite enjoyed Mark's Traitor, Book 1 of The Turner Chronicles. Totally different kind of story.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:41:28 AM by Planish »

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #52 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:30 AM
It's been a while.

Patrick E. McLean ("How to Succeed in Evil") has a new one out - Unkillable
Unkillable is the story of a young man who is cruelly murdered then brought back from the dead to revenge himself. The kicker is: He’s not really alive. He can be hurt, he just can’t be killed.
I give it two thumbs up.
I rather liked the stoner friend character.

Seth Harwood's Jack Palms series. So far I've finished books 1, 2 and 3. Feels like an '80 action movie.
I loved the Czech gangsters.

Vulture Capital
When Basis Ventures venture capitalist Ted Valmont is belatedly informed that the Chief Scientist of NeuroStimix—a biotech firm in which he has invested—is missing, it's not just business, it's personal.

Not only is the scientist an old school chum, but his disappearance jeopardizes the development of NeuroStimix's most important product: a device intended to aid spinal cord injury victims. Since Valmont's twin brother, Tim, was paralyzed in a college diving accident, finding the scientist and getting him back into harness is of the utmost importance to both brothers.
The uh, I dunno, pacing (?) was a bit weird, and it took a while to get going, but once it did, it ended. Even so, I had no trouble sticking with it through to the end.

Paraffin Winter
A murder mystery set in 1962.
Ronnie and Jenny Delaney live in the south coast town of Poole, close by the gas works. They get by - Jenny works in the local pottery and Ronnie runs a paraffin [fuel] delivery round, helping to keep his grateful customers warm. But then something unexpected turns up on the paraffin round: an eyeball.
I found that the setting and portrayal of daily life was almost more interesting than the main story, in a nostalgic sort of way.
My favourite line from it is: "The snow was coming down in great big flakes, like they was plucking angels up there or something."

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")