Author Topic: PC162: Gods of the North  (Read 41362 times)

Calculating...

• Palmer
  • Too much knowledge never makes for simple decision
Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 10:36:34 PM
Men are allowed to have whatever they can take even if it's through force and to hell with what anyone else wants? Women are beautiful evil ice queens who will literally lead you on and cause you nothing but pain? And men are allowed to do what they will with said women?

Well ... no, not really. This story isn't about all women, or all men. It isn't even about a typical woman or man, which might make these questions relevant.

The story is about one man - really, an over-muscled, under-brained proto-man - with an over- (but poorly-) developed sense of personal 'honour' who thinks he can have whatever he can take (but is, I note, proven wrong). Lucky for him his friends came along. Perhaps his narrow escape will cause him to rethink his actions, since it's obvious that he doesn't think there's anything wrong with what he's doing.

And one woman - a spoiled brat (demi?)goddess, actually - who, yes, led that man on to try to cause him nothing but pain - death, in fact. And Conan wasn't the first that she did this to. But she did get something of a comeuppance for it: the fright that Conan caused her (which is less than he wanted to cause her, of course), not to mention the loss of her brothers (though one can argue self defence, there). Lucky for her that her father stepped in to save her. Perhaps her narrow escape will cause her to rethink her actions, since it's obvious that she doesn't think there's anything wrong with what she's doing.

Do I think either of them is justified? I hope my words make it obvious that no, I don't.

Did I enjoy the story anyway? Rather surprisingly, I rather did. It's not the sort of thing of which I want a steady diet; unlike others, I'm not going to go searching out more Conan stories on the strength of this one. But the writing was bold and descriptive, and really, both of these fairly unlikable characters were nearly killed for their own failings. I get the same sort of grim pleasure from that as I do from reading some of the accounts of Darwin award winners, or the Least Competent Criminals in News of the Weird.

But I don't get the sense that the author was putting either of these characters up as models of behavior.

Alright, I'll grant you that these are two characters who do not necessarily represent men and women everywhere. And that they both have character flaws. But as other posters have said previously, they were young boys filled with hormones when they read Conan stories, and I know that adults are not the only ones listening to these stories. Okay, so I tend to over think things to the point where my brain hurts and the finished product in no way correlates to the original subject matter, but can you not see some poor little kid associating with Conan and extracting the wrong messages from stories like this? I know I did when I was younger, I expected guys to always come to my rescue no matter the mess I got myself into. Stories like this make me so nervous, and then seeing some of the responses make me furious, and then I realize I really need a drink.

I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on you'll do as I tell you, okay?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 11:47:45 PM
Alright, I'll grant you that these are two characters who do not necessarily represent men and women everywhere. And that they both have character flaws. But as other posters have said previously, they were young boys filled with hormones when they read Conan stories, and I know that adults are not the only ones listening to these stories. Okay, so I tend to over think things to the point where my brain hurts and the finished product in no way correlates to the original subject matter, but can you not see some poor little kid associating with Conan and extracting the wrong messages from stories like this? I know I did when I was younger, I expected guys to always come to my rescue no matter the mess I got myself into. Stories like this make me so nervous, and then seeing some of the responses make me furious, and then I realize I really need a drink.

Just wanted to drop in and say, this is a really fantastic discussion, and I'm glad we (er, mostly you all) are having it :)

I could have possibly talked a little bit about the scene in question after the story, and maybe I should have. It's a rough, uncomfortable scene - and we (Anna and I) knew that going on. In the intro, I mentioned that Howard's creation is part of fantasy fiction's legacy, and I really appreciate how many of you are asking difficult questions about some of the aspects of that legacy in this particular story.

People can always extract the wrong message from a story (Hello, Jesus). That's why having the discussions are so worthwhile. So...basically, all that to say: thanks to all of you for thinking and talking about the stories. You all rock :D

Calculating...

• Palmer
Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 01:27:35 AM
As much as I have not been a big fan of the most recent stories, I am glad y'all post stories that inspire discussion. I will always take mental stimulation over mindless entertainment. Keep it up (sorta)! ;D

I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on you'll do as I tell you, okay?

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 03:46:14 AM
That said, in the context of this story, Atali was like a Siren, she lured men to their deaths using sex appeal.  Or sex magic, if you will.  I gleaned that the men she enchanted were bewitched into following her to her brothers who would then slaughter the poor bastards.  But in Conan she met, well, she met Conan.  He's an extraordinary character who was still taken under her spell, but was able to overcome her as no other man had before. So, it was magic-induced attempted rape.  (I feel so dirty.  :-\ )

Well said. I think what needs to be remembered here is Atali was NOT a woman. She was a capricious dark god who would have done much worse to Conan if she could have (and probably HAD done worse to lesser men before him). It's just unfortunate for her that her latest victim was some Nietzchean godbreaker who takes down a Lovecraftian horror roughly twice a month.

As a long-time Conan fan, I feel I must point out to those unfamiliar to the stories that this is actually atypical behavior for him. Conan as depicted in the original stories is actually a pretty honorable guy. He deals with women quite fairly, more fairly than most in his society, actually. The only times he's ever been violent toward a woman is when they do something really rotten to him: like say, betray him to the city watch. Or...you know, lead him through an icy wasteland to his doom. So his behavior in this story is pretty out-of-character, which I think shows just how close Atali pushed him to his limits.

I did enjoy the reading of this story. Somehow the gruff Aussie voice works for a Conan tale. Tell me more of the days of high adventure, o chronicler!

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 10:35:09 PM
is this Conan on podcastle?!  a new era dawns!
i'm happy to experience my first Conan story, and i'm happy that podcastle gave it to me.

this isn't the kind of story that i want all the time from a fantasy podcast but i'm very glad podcastle included it and no longer considers itself above simple sword & sorcery.

Duriyah

• Extern
Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 12:20:09 AM
As a long-time Conan fan, I feel I must point out to those unfamiliar to the stories that this is actually atypical behavior for him. Conan as depicted in the original stories is actually a pretty honorable guy. He deals with women quite fairly, more fairly than most in his society, actually. The only times he's ever been violent toward a woman is when they do something really rotten to him: like say, betray him to the city watch. Or...you know, lead him through an icy wasteland to his doom. So his behavior in this story is pretty out-of-character, which I think shows just how close Atali pushed him to his limits.

Thanks for the context. I gather that the reader is meant to understand that Conan is strongly ensorceled by Atali. She cast her siren spell over Conan as bait to lure him to his death, which then backfired when Conan killed her brothers, and she found herself in danger. I found myself quite anxious as he got nearer to actual rape, and was very relieved when she was able to call on her father to rescue her. I was strongly reminded of the nymph Syrinx being turned into reeds to escape the clutches of Pan, and I half expected Atali to be transformed into a pillar of ice or something.

I really enjoyed the story, even with all its violence. It treads a wonderfully mythological space, where gods and ice giants toy with humans for sport. The ending did stop cold (pun intended), but so do many fairy tales. I think the way it ends adds to the fairy tale nature of the story. I can imagine it as a story told on a deep winter night, the last line eliciting thrilled gasps from the audience.

Gorbash

• Extern
Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 11:06:01 AM
Although it did remind me of this hilarious  very wrong comic strip (NSFW bit adult and silly).
http://lolpics.se/3278-snow-queen

In the interests of sending page views to the right place:
(2 pages)

together with the prequel and sequel (3 pages). (All, as above, NSFW and splendidly silly).

zoanon

• Peltast
Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 01:26:21 PM

I never got a chance to listen to Conan when I was a teenage boy, mainly because I'm not done being a teenage girl yet.
I know you think my remarks are sexist (whatever, that's your opinion), but I think just because I like certain things about this story (like the language and the mythology) doesn't mean I'm saying its OK to try and rape a lady.

and, just because I listen to (and read) stories that portray the men as big strong heroes that don't take no for an answer, does not mean that I expect a night in shining armor (or barbarian with midnight locks for that matter) to save/rape me.

*sigh* I really wanted to only post positive things on escape artists, but I don't think I have managed that. I really don't mean to cause offence.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:12:50 AM by zoanon »

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 07:34:10 AM
Ok, so, I loved this story, and if that makes me a pervert I don't want to be normal.

Gods of the North is fantasy, and for me, fantasy means "not reality." Not reality includes many good things (in reality I can't fly, in reality I'm not royalty, in reality I probably won't live forever, in reality I have do deal with stupid repetitive daily crap) and bad things (in reality I don't solve my problems with a sword, in reality I'm in a fulfilling long term romantic relationship, in reality nobody is trying to kill me). So, I don't judge a fantasy purely by whether or not it represents only positive impossibilities. There's something neat and invigorating about imagining that someone is trying to kill me, even though I'd find that kind of situation pretty challenging in real life.

A lot of people - myself included - find something kind of hot about unequal sexual relationships. This is not limited purely to rape fantasies. Nubile slaves eager to prove their worth, sexually voracious monarchs, demon incu/succubi from hell... these situations are nifty to some folks. They get our blood flowing. Some people seek these things out in erotica, and some people also seek them out - in less openly sexual ways - in other forms of fiction.

For me, Conan has always been at least in part about that kind of fantasy. Conan is huge, muscled, gruff, and doesn't take no for an answer. Conveniently enough, most of the time, his chiseled good looks and brooding persona mean that most of the women who inhabit his world are happy to say yes. But is Conan scrupulous to make sure that all his sexual encounters are perfectly consensual and entirely equitable? Probably no. Because he's Conan.

Is ElectricPaladin scrupulous to make sure that all his sexual encounters are perfectly consensual and entirely equitable? Of course. But I'm a real live person. Conan is not.

Anyway, the point is that it doesn't bother me that this is, in fact, the story of a battle-mad barbarian attempting to rape who he thinks is a human woman. Gods of the North enjoys a certain hyper-reality. In the same way that we cheer when Indiana Jones shoots Nazis in the face, but would be pretty horrified at the blood and death of shooting someone in the face ourselves, we can enjoy Conan chasing after Atali. If an Indiana Jones story dwelled in exquisite and agonizing detail on the death throes of the Nazi, how he writhed on the floor, bleeding, shitting and pissing himself as his damaged brain misfired, we'd all be pretty turned off. I think the same thing would happen if Conan had actually caught Atali and Howard had launched into a bloody and detailed description of the rape. Fortunately (and by design, I'm sure) Conan never managed to run Atali down.

Finally, I think that this is a story that only appeals to some people. Some of us are a little kinky for barbarism, and some of us are not. Sometimes Podcastle runs deep and sentimental stories, like Tending the Mori Birds, and sometimes Conan chases Atali across the fields of the dying. Sometimes we have chocolate cake for dessert, and sometimes we have carrot cake. Life goes on.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 01:30:05 PM
Let's remember that Conan was also a thief too. Now, I don't wish to draw an equivalence between two crimes, but I doubt Howard was advocating thievery either, nor was he modeling behavior. Conan is not a paragon or a role model.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 01:57:06 PM
Ok, so, I loved this story, and if that makes me a pervert I don't want to be normal.

Gods of the North is fantasy, and for me, fantasy means "not reality." Not reality includes many good things (in reality I can't fly, in reality I'm not royalty, in reality I probably won't live forever, in reality I have do deal with stupid repetitive daily crap) and bad things (in reality I don't solve my problems with a sword, in reality I'm in a fulfilling long term romantic relationship, in reality nobody is trying to kill me). So, I don't judge a fantasy purely by whether or not it represents only positive impossibilities. There's something neat and invigorating about imagining that someone is trying to kill me, even though I'd find that kind of situation pretty challenging in real life.

I enjoyed reading your perspective, ElePal, and made me wonder if I would react as strongly to a different line being crossed in a fantasy piece. Like cruelty to children or racism (I'd like to hope that I would). But dude, you have an interesting idea of what constitutes a bad thing! :P

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 03:24:36 PM

I enjoyed reading your perspective, ElePal, and made me wonder if I would react as strongly to a different line being crossed in a fantasy piece. Like cruelty to children or racism (I'd like to hope that I would). But dude, you have an interesting idea of what constitutes a bad thing! :P

Some of those bad things were a little off, especially the second. What I mean to say is that being in a long term committed relationship is great. In real life, I love it. It's sometimes fun to imagine that I'm a hot-as-nails hero and elf babes are throwing booty at me like there's no tomorrow, even though that kind of life would probably be less fulfilling than being with my beautiful nerdy wife.

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:37 AM
The controversy puts me in mind of a recent one, started by Leo Grin in the post http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/lgrin/2011/02/12/the-bankrupt-nihilism-of-our-fallen-fantasists/ "The Bankrupt Nihilism of Our Fallen Fantasists" in which the author decries the state of fantasy and the fantasy hero (too psycho, too edgy), and how the writers of today - "little more than become cheap purveyors of civilizational graffiti" - have "soiled the building blocks" given to us by Tolkien and Howard.

(one of the authors answered him in the post "Bankrupt Nihilism" http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2011/02/15/bankrupt-nihilism/)

My problem - well, one problem - that claiming modern fantasy comes from Tolkien and Howard together is comparing apples and oranges. They are VERY different authors, with very different messages and points of view. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. But to claim them both as equal progenitors of modern fantasy.... 

Calculating...

• Palmer
Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 02:39:50 AM
Whoa whoa whoa, I need to back this up a little bit.

I never got a chance to listen to Conan when I was a teenage boy, mainly because I'm not done being a teenage girl yet.
I know you think my remarks are sexist (whatever, that's your opinion), but I think just because I like certain things about this story (like the language and the mythology) doesn't mean I'm saying its OK to try and rape a lady.
and, just because I listen to (and read) stories that portray the men as big strong heroes that don't take no for an answer, does not mean that I expect a night in shining armor (or barbarian with midnight locks for that matter) to save/rape me.
*sigh* I really wanted to only post positive things on escape artists, but I don't think I have managed that. I really don't mean to cause offense.

If you go back and read my other posts you'll see I'm talking specifically about the rape scene and certain responses that made me very upset and frankly quite angry.  Posts like that only perpetuate evil.  And I honestly cannot see how you could enjoy the story since the ENTIRE thing was a big chase scene centered around rape.  The mythology was thin and I'm not sure what "language" you're referring to.  And I must say, I am proud of you if you're able to see stories such as these as pure escapism and not extrapolate anything from stories and apply any meaning or life lessons onto your own life and "reality", you must have much more perspective than any other teenager I have ever met.  Congrats on that one.

A lot of people - myself included - find something kind of hot about unequal sexual relationships. This is not limited purely to rape fantasies. Nubile slaves eager to prove their worth, sexually voracious monarchs, demon incu/succubi from hell... these situations are nifty to some folks. They get our blood flowing. Some people seek these things out in erotica, and some people also seek them out - in less openly sexual ways - in other forms of fiction.
For me, Conan has always been at least in part about that kind of fantasy. Conan is huge, muscled, gruff, and doesn't take no for an answer. Conveniently enough, most of the time, his chiseled good looks and brooding persona mean that most of the women who inhabit his world are happy to say yes. But is Conan scrupulous to make sure that all his sexual encounters are perfectly consensual and entirely equitable? Probably no. Because he's Conan.
Is ElectricPaladin scrupulous to make sure that all his sexual encounters are perfectly consensual and entirely equitable? Of course. But I'm a real live person. Conan is not.
Anyway, the point is that it doesn't bother me that this is, in fact, the story of a battle-mad barbarian attempting to rape who he thinks is a human woman. Gods of the North enjoys a certain hyper-reality. In the same way that we cheer when Indiana Jones shoots Nazis in the face, but would be pretty horrified at the blood and death of shooting someone in the face ourselves, we can enjoy Conan chasing after Atali. If an Indiana Jones story dwelled in exquisite and agonizing detail on the death throes of the Nazi, how he writhed on the floor, bleeding, shitting and pissing himself as his damaged brain misfired, we'd all be pretty turned off. I think the same thing would happen if Conan had actually caught Atali and Howard had launched into a bloody and detailed description of the rape. Fortunately (and by design, I'm sure) Conan never managed to run Atali down.
Finally, I think that this is a story that only appeals to some people. Some of us are a little kinky for barbarism, and some of us are not. Sometimes Podcastle runs deep and sentimental stories, like Tending the Mori Birds, and sometimes Conan chases Atali across the fields of the dying. Sometimes we have chocolate cake for dessert, and sometimes we have carrot cake. Life goes on.

I understand the appeal of dominance/submission in sexual relationships, I understand many people enjoy that and it helps them get off.  Cool by me, what what goes on between two consenting adults is their issue, not mine.  But this needs to be clarified, Conan did catch Atali. In fact he "dug his fingers into her soft flesh...kissed her mouth till it bruised."  That sounds like rape and little bit to close for comfort for me.  She manages to escape in the end out of pure luck.  Mainly because she let Conan rip her clothes off so she's standing half naked there and has to run to her father for protection.  Don't even get me started on that whole issue.  And so the fact that she is not actually a human woman, even though Conan thought she was, makes it some how better?  I can accept that some people only want to take this story at face value and not look into the sexist issues running rampant through this story, that is fine by me, I have listened/read stories that I only want to enjoy and not think about the awful underbelly of what the author is implying.  But if you're going to take that stance and just enjoy it as a fantasy tale that you're going to turn your brain off and just enjoy it, why are you bothering to argue that this story is not all about rape, masculinity, and sexism?

Let's remember that Conan was also a thief too. Now, I don't wish to draw an equivalence between two crimes, but I doubt Howard was advocating thievery either, nor was he modeling behavior. Conan is not a paragon or a role model.

I agree, in one of my earlier posts I commented that the Conan stories are about a bad guy, Conan isn't a good guy, he's a bad guy, so, like I said before, stop trying to defend him as a good guy, just accept he's a bad guy and move on.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 02:56:06 AM
it is worth noting that this story also includes wholesale slaughter on religious & racial grounds and no one seems to have noticed it, much less be bothered by it.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 03:07:10 AM
it is worth noting that this story also includes wholesale slaughter on religious & racial grounds and no one seems to have noticed it, much less be bothered by it.

I did, but no sense throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Actually, I have no clue what that means, but my mother in law says it so much... ::shrug::

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 03:11:42 AM

I did, but no sense throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Actually, I have no clue what that means, but my mother in law says it so much... ::shrug::

I think this would be more like throwing the baby into the bathwater...  :)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, 04:51:41 AM
OK, so this was my first Conan story, in any medium (story or movie). I REALLY enjoyed the language.. thought the writing was simply great. Yeah, it did include sexual assault, but I did buy it was an evilish goddess at play rather than "gee men cannot help but rape" scenario. For me personally, wasn't enough character development of Conan to please me. Course that might be the nature of the beast. Is there anything to Conan besides "GRRR ARRRGH"? I donno. :) I personally like my characters with more character, though.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:59:20 PM by Talia »

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #43 on: June 28, 2011, 04:52:50 AM
This is generally a great discussion - but I will remind people not to get personal, or imply that anyone is stupid or evil for taking a position on a story.  

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, 05:31:24 AM
I understand the appeal of dominance/submission in sexual relationships, I understand many people enjoy that and it helps them get off.  Cool by me, what what goes on between two consenting adults is their issue, not mine.  But this needs to be clarified, Conan did catch Atali. In fact he "dug his fingers into her soft flesh...kissed her mouth till it bruised."  That sounds like rape and little bit to close for comfort for me.

Remember what I said about the difference between fantasy and reality? If you were to walk in on two consenting adults playing out a non-consent scene, it would look and sound a lot like rape, too. You see, nobody got raped here. It's a story. Words on a page. No actual rape taking place. I understand how it might not appeal to you - not every story is going to appeal to every person, sure - but you can't argue that something bad happened here. Nothing happened, except that vibrations produced by a machine - based on words spoken by a man, those words based on squiggles put on paper by another man - went into your ears. No demigods or barbarians were harmed in the making of this story.

But if you're going to take that stance and just enjoy it as a fantasy tale that you're going to turn your brain off and just enjoy it, why are you bothering to argue that this story is not all about rape, masculinity, and sexism?

Two objections:

Firstly, I'm not turning my brain off. My brain is very much set to on while I enjoy this story, thank you very much.

Secondly, I'm not arguing that this story is about anything but rape, masculinity, and sexism. That's what this story is about. I'm arguing that there's nothing wrong with the occasional story about rape, masculinity, and sexism, especially when they take place against a hyper-real fantastic backdrop. Just like there's nothing wrong with a story about peace, compassion, and brotherhood. Or sisterhood. Or  thinghood. All stories have their time and place.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #45 on: June 28, 2011, 02:00:57 PM
What's really fun is reading "Solomon Kane" and getting sexism and racism all in one go.  (Kane doesn't really make with sexytimes much, at least.)

Conan is pretty much not my bag on every level.  Sword and Sorcery in general isn't my thing; I don't really like thews or mighty cleaving blows, and the genre seems to bring out the worst in authors in terms of (sometimes veiled, sometimes not) misogyny and racism.  I'm also going to have to rag on ElecPal, because this story is about as far from sub/dom play as you can get.  I don't like dominance play at all in my sex life, but I have no problem with people who want to enjoy it that way.  However, this story had a big old actual rape in it, and the "It's just a story" defense doesn't really hold a lot of water.  Yes, evil goddess, luring men to their death, not emblematic of all women.  Yes, Conan doesn't usually go right for the rambunctious cuddling.  And still.  This is a story about a man who slaughters a bunch of dudes for ill-defined reasons and then gets really angry when he's unable to rape to his satisfaction.  That's kind of unpleasant, and the lack of other perspectives rings pretty loudly in it.

I can understand and even appreciate to some extent the impact Robert E. Howard had on fantasy fiction, but I gotta say that in a lot of cases I kind of wish he hadn't.  The bar got set awfully darned low back in the day, and we're still paying off the dividends of those adolescent power fantasies in terms of public perception of genre fiction and the role and status of female authors, editors, publishers, etc.  Stuff like this has its rough edges worn away by the passage of time and the acknowledgement of its "classic" status, but I'd honestly be okay with jettisoning this baggage for good if someone were to propose such a thing.  I don't think it's good for genre fiction that so many of our old masters and founding fathers have to have their work prefaced with, "Now, you have to remember the time and place when this was written," or "Really, there wasn't that much of this sort of thing, considering."  If I go to an art museum, there aren't any curators standing around giving apologia for all the rape, racism, and casual violence in the mainstream body of work.

Imagine if this story had been published without Conan in it, without the gleam of Howard's name behind it, without the patina of decades passing.  Imagine some newbie author dropped this into the Podcastle slush box, unchanged except for the names.  What would our collective reaction have been?  (Other than, "Man, this guy's ripping off Robert E. Howard.")

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #46 on: June 28, 2011, 05:47:13 PM
What's really fun is reading "Solomon Kane" and getting sexism and racism all in one go.  (Kane doesn't really make with sexytimes much, at least.)

Conan is pretty much not my bag on every level.  Sword and Sorcery in general isn't my thing; I don't really like thews or mighty cleaving blows, and the genre seems to bring out the worst in authors in terms of (sometimes veiled, sometimes not) misogyny and racism.  I'm also going to have to rag on ElecPal, because this story is about as far from sub/dom play as you can get.  I don't like dominance play at all in my sex life, but I have no problem with people who want to enjoy it that way.  However, this story had a big old actual rape in it, and the "It's just a story" defense doesn't really hold a lot of water.  Yes, evil goddess, luring men to their death, not emblematic of all women.  Yes, Conan doesn't usually go right for the rambunctious cuddling.  And still.  This is a story about a man who slaughters a bunch of dudes for ill-defined reasons and then gets really angry when he's unable to rape to his satisfaction.  That's kind of unpleasant, and the lack of other perspectives rings pretty loudly in it.

I can understand and even appreciate to some extent the impact Robert E. Howard had on fantasy fiction, but I gotta say that in a lot of cases I kind of wish he hadn't.  The bar got set awfully darned low back in the day, and we're still paying off the dividends of those adolescent power fantasies in terms of public perception of genre fiction and the role and status of female authors, editors, publishers, etc.  Stuff like this has its rough edges worn away by the passage of time and the acknowledgement of its "classic" status, but I'd honestly be okay with jettisoning this baggage for good if someone were to propose such a thing.  I don't think it's good for genre fiction that so many of our old masters and founding fathers have to have their work prefaced with, "Now, you have to remember the time and place when this was written," or "Really, there wasn't that much of this sort of thing, considering."  If I go to an art museum, there aren't any curators standing around giving apologia for all the rape, racism, and casual violence in the mainstream body of work.

Imagine if this story had been published without Conan in it, without the gleam of Howard's name behind it, without the patina of decades passing.  Imagine some newbie author dropped this into the Podcastle slush box, unchanged except for the names.  What would our collective reaction have been?  (Other than, "Man, this guy's ripping off Robert E. Howard.")

Heh. I just recently read some Solomon Kane stories and couldn't believe some of the incredibly racist overtones in one of them. That said, this is not a genre issue. It's a literature issue - I've seen it a lot in American Literature in particular - not only with race, but gender issues.

Regarding this story - again, this is a really great discussion, and I'm anxious to comment on it for fear of becoming a threadkiller. So please don't let that happen :)

When we picked this story, yes, we discussed this scene in particular, and what was happening in it. It's not nice. It's not fun. It is totally uncomfortable. But I kind of think that's the point - at least, for me. Something akin to a siren bewitches men across the icy wastelands for her brothers to slaughter. Except, instead of just some guy, she lured Conan, and since he's Conan, he keeps going where all the other poor bastards were cut down. He kills her brothers, and comes at her, and she can't turn the enchantment off. So Conan nearly rapes her. (I think it's worth mentioning nobody was raped in this story. Intent was there, but it would've been a different story if that had happened, and that's not the story we ran.) I suspect if Conan hadn't been out of his mind with whatever enchanments she threw at him, he would've just killed her after killing her brothers.

Some people have suggested it doesn't end, or ends too soon, but again - for me - the ending's pretty perfect. Two very strong characters - the last man standing on a battlefield and a goddess - get thrown completely off their game, and have to grapple with what happened, and what they've done. It's uncomfortable. I think it's supposed to be, and that's one of the reasons we ran it.

Regarding whether this story would've been published if some newb author had sent it in - this trick's been tried before, I think? Not that long ago, an author submitted a Jane Austen book (link), and held it up on the internets as LOOK! THEY'RE EVEN REJECTING JANE AUSTEN. Well, duh. We love Jane Austen because she was Jane Austen, not somebody ripping off Jane Austen. She wrote what she wrote when she wrote it, and we're still being impacted by her stories. Howard is similar. Part of what makes his work iconic is when he wrote it, and the impact it had after that. (Heh. Some of that derivative conversation from the other thread is bleeding into my mind here...)

Now, if somebody writes some ass-kicking sword and sorcery, makes it their own, takes into consideration where we are now in literature, and sends it to us (or in the case of Garth Nix, lets us solicit it), we're all for that. Unfortunately, not many people do :(

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #47 on: June 28, 2011, 05:49:41 PM
The controversy puts me in mind of a recent one, started by Leo Grin in the post http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/lgrin/2011/02/12/the-bankrupt-nihilism-of-our-fallen-fantasists/ "The Bankrupt Nihilism of Our Fallen Fantasists" in which the author decries the state of fantasy and the fantasy hero (too psycho, too edgy), and how the writers of today - "little more than become cheap purveyors of civilizational graffiti" - have "soiled the building blocks" given to us by Tolkien and Howard.

(one of the authors answered him in the post "Bankrupt Nihilism" http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2011/02/15/bankrupt-nihilism/)

My problem - well, one problem - that claiming modern fantasy comes from Tolkien and Howard together is comparing apples and oranges. They are VERY different authors, with very different messages and points of view. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. But to claim them both as equal progenitors of modern fantasy.... 

Ha. I remember that conversation - actually considered mentioning it somewhere in this episode, but decided to stick with Howard this time out. Abercrombie's response was soooooooooooooooo great :)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #48 on: June 28, 2011, 06:50:00 PM

Imagine if this story had been published without Conan in it, without the gleam of Howard's name behind it, without the patina of decades passing.  Imagine some newbie author dropped this into the Podcastle slush box, unchanged except for the names.  What would our collective reaction have been?  (Other than, "Man, this guy's ripping off Robert E. Howard.")

Regarding whether this story would've been published if some newb author had sent it in - this trick's been tried before, I think? Not that long ago, an author submitted a Jane Austen book (link), and held it up on the internets as LOOK! THEY'RE EVEN REJECTING JANE AUSTEN. Well, duh. We love Jane Austen because she was Jane Austen, not somebody ripping off Jane Austen. She wrote what she wrote when she wrote it, and we're still being impacted by her stories. Howard is similar. Part of what makes his work iconic is when he wrote it, and the impact it had after that. (Heh. Some of that derivative conversation from the other thread is bleeding into my mind here...)

It seems to me that an unknown submitting an Austen-esque novel today is akin to an unknown submitting a Conan-esque story today and in both cases I agree with Dave that modern day editors would be well within their purview to go ahead and reject both stories. However, in my mind Scattercat was raising a different interesting question: what of the other less long-lived stories of the 1930's?

I assume that there were other "sword and sorcery" writers that were contemporaries of Howard, and for whatever reason their work just hasn't enjoyed the longevity that the Conan stories did. I'm guessing that their stories carry many of the same themes and that without the name of Howard/Conan it would be harder to shrug off the more offensive aspects of the narrative. How would modern readers feel about these same transgressions if it was "Arthur the Berserker" by John Smith?  I honestly doubt that a dated (in the worldview/values represented) story like this would have been run on Podcastle had not the decades deemed it a "classic", and I doubt as well that a story like this would have been run if the anti-hero had been anyone other than Conan.

ETA: I meant to also ask, so therefore why do we give Conan a break, and should we in fact continue to do so?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:54:09 PM by Devoted135 »

Calculating...

• Palmer
Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 07:11:22 PM

Remember what I said about the difference between fantasy and reality? If you were to walk in on two consenting adults playing out a non-consent scene, it would look and sound a lot like rape, too. You see, nobody got raped here. It's a story. Words on a page. No actual rape taking place. I understand how it might not appeal to you - not every story is going to appeal to every person, sure - but you can't argue that something bad happened here. Nothing happened, except that vibrations produced by a machine - based on words spoken by a man, those words based on squiggles put on paper by another man - went into your ears. No demigods or barbarians were harmed in the making of this story.

Yes, you're right, in the grand scheme of things this is only a compilation of words that make a story written onto pages. So was Mein Kampf. And The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. And Quotations from Chairman Mao. Get my point? At some point those stopped being words on a page and actually had some effect in the real world.
Of course if I were to walk in on people acting out scenes for their own sexual pleasure, of course I would think it was rape. Most people would. But that isn't the issue here.  Conan and Atali aren't playing out some scene they both agreed on.  There is real fear and real danger.
And can you please clarify how this ISN'T rape?  Honestly, if you've never been in that position of having someone on top of you and forcing themselves upon you, you don't know the fear and emotions that go with that. That is a form of rape, Atali was just lucky enough to get away before anything truly bad happened.  This would be completely different if Conan was chasing a man down to rape him, or if Conan himself were being chased by a man, or if Conan were chasing a child.  Forcing yourself on another being is wrong no matter the situation or circumstance.

But if you're going to take that stance and just enjoy it as a fantasy tale that you're going to turn your brain off and just enjoy it, why are you bothering to argue that this story is not all about rape, masculinity, and sexism?

Two objections:
Firstly, I'm not turning my brain off. My brain is very much set to on while I enjoy this story, thank you very much.
Secondly, I'm not arguing that this story is about anything but rape, masculinity, and sexism. That's what this story is about. I'm arguing that there's nothing wrong with the occasional story about rape, masculinity, and sexism, especially when they take place against a hyper-real fantastic backdrop. Just like there's nothing wrong with a story about peace, compassion, and brotherhood. Or sisterhood. All stories have their time and place.

There is something wrong when the story about rape, masculinity, and sexism is portrayed in a positive light.  Rape and sexism are not positive qualities, no matter what age, genre, time, or place. This is something my entire being rejects, even if it is set in a hyper-real fantastic backdrop.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:12:58 PM by Calculating... »