Author Topic: Split thread: The Landholders No Longer Carry Swords – politics  (Read 20002 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
I'm about as left-leaning as you get, but this was a little simplistic.

Nope! Anna's leftier  ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:29:10 PM by Talia »

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:16:25 PM
I'm about as left-leaning as you get, but this was a little simplistic.

Nope! Anna's leftier  ;D

Are you sure? I'm basically a communist. I also think that not only should gay and polyamorous marriage be legal, I also don't think the government should be in the business of marrying people at all. And I think that pot should be legal (but probably not cigarettes...).

I mean, look, what I'm trying to say here is that my liberalism dick is enormous. Anna's liberalism dick is probably mighty large, but I doubt it's larger than mine ;).

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:25:11 PM
I'm not totally sure...but I'm pretty sure  ;) Sorry, I couldn't help myself in light of the intro...

And just to show I'm not really trying to get into a big liberal dick judging contest - You both are easily more liberal than I am! :P

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:29:04 PM
big liberal dick judging contest

;D I did actually laugh out loud to that.  In fact, I would say I guffawed.

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:42:43 PM
And just to show I'm not really trying to get into a big liberal dick judging contest - You both are easily more liberal than I am! :P

I say whip them out and slap them down on the table. Let's see who's got the biggest one. Let the forum goers decide! Pics or I call shens!

Me, I advocate being middle of the road. There are good things and bad things about going too far to either side. I like to say that I follow the political theory of the Boston Creme Doughnut: Somewhere in middle lies the juiciest, sweetest place.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Calculating...

• Palmer
  • Too much knowledge never makes for simple decision
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:31 AM

Are you sure? I'm basically a communist. I also think that not only should gay and polyamorous marriage be legal, I also don't think the government should be in the business of marrying people at all. And I think that pot should be legal (but probably not cigarettes...).

So the government has no say in who or how people get married and pot should be legal, but no one should enjoy cigarettes?  Anna might be more liberal...

I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on you'll do as I tell you, okay?

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:46:20 AM

So the government has no say in who or how people get married and pot should be legal, but no one should enjoy cigarettes?  Anna might be more liberal...

I did write "probably" for a reason. I'm not sure where I fall on cigarettes. Probably in the end I'd be ok with them existing. Maybe. I see no reason to be entirely consistent and well reasoned in my politics in a thread about why the landholders no longer carry swords :P.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:32:23 PM
I mean, look, what I'm trying to say here is that my liberalism dick is enormous. Anna's liberalism dick is probably mighty large, but I doubt it's larger than mine ;).

How about we use political compass scores instead of penises, since I don't have one of those?

Go ahead, post your score.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:51:35 PM
How about the Political Compass?

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I'll go first, since I've got no dog in this fight.

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

I did wish there was a "not sure" choice for a couple of the questions.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:19:25 PM
I know I've done this before somewhere, but I took it again. My scores:

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.10

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 10:28:49 PM
Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.85

Impressive, I know. You can touch it if you want ;).

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:02:44 PM
Economic Left/Right: -8.75

Impressive, I know. You can touch it if you want ;).

:o

Not even Master Yoda has the high of a midichlorian count!

Things are getting very interesting!  ;D

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
My results:
Economic Left/Right: -8.00  (I'm not convinced that's accurate.)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33  (Please note that a social libertarian is not the same thing as a <shudder> Randian Libertarian)

Wow, ElectricPaladin really is further SouthWest than I am, though not by much. I bet almost all of our answers were on the same side, only differing on which ones were 'Strongly'.

(And thanks, hautdesert, for providing the link - I wasn't entirely sure what people were referring to.)

Also, I agree: some of those questions required either 'Not sure' or 'Don't care' or something.

Edit: fixed some formatting
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:41:10 PM by Wilson Fowlie »

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
My results:

Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

Wow, I thought I'd be more authoritative than that. I think, yes, the absence of a "not sure" option skewed the results a bit. Though I am grateful for Wilson Fowlie's clarification that Social Libertarian does not equal Objectivist. I mean, slaughtering Splicers in Rapture is one of my favorite pastimes; I'd hate to be a hypocrite.

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Well I'm not surprised by my results:

Economic Left/Right: -3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.23

Honestly I thought I'd be closer to the middle, maybe even a little bit more to the right, but eh, thats good enough for my Boston Creme Doughnut theory.

I think the questions weren't very good focusing on hotbutton issues rather than specifc political doctrine. At the very least (like everyone else said) there needs to be a "somewhat agree" and a "no opinion" button.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Well, I'll play:

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

A little surprised. Also, interesting to see Kevin Rudd (our Prime Minister before the Party raised a coup to oust him) on the scale. Not surprised by his result, though.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Bout where I expected to find meself. :P

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

Buncha whiny lefties here, obviously. 

I had trouble because sometimes my answer to the question was, "Well, yes, that's probably true, but it's because X, Y, Z and might not be a good thing," or "Well, it depends on the situation and one can't really make a blanket statement about such things."  Of course, that alone puts me solidly on the left, politically, so whatevs.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
I had trouble because sometimes my answer to the question was, "Well, yes, that's probably true, but it's because X, Y, Z and might not be a good thing," or "Well, it depends on the situation and one can't really make a blanket statement about such things."

This. Precisely this.

(This is an excellent example of why Scattercat is a writer and I am not. :) )

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Ok, I'll join in the fun :)

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.59

Spindaddy and I can hold down the social moderate end of the see saw to balance the rest of you guys out. ;) These tests never really know what to do with me because I hold several (stereotypically) opposite viewpoints, which incidentally is also why I never know who to vote for... :-\

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Ok, I'll join in the fun :)

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.59

Spindaddy and I can hold down the social moderate end of the see saw to balance the rest of you guys out. ;) These tests never really know what to do with me because I hold several (stereotypically) opposite viewpoints, which incidentally is also why I never know who to vote for... :-\
haha Throw your horns up if you are a moderate! \m/

I tend to vote to maintain a balance. It's kinda dumb, but in my twisted little world, I think by keeping the liberals and conversatives in balance means that neither can truly pursue their agendas because neither side has enough of a majority. Thus, when rich white guys spend more time fighting each other, I'm able to live a freer happier life.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
My scores:

Economic Left/Right: -4.88

Someone should map all these and give us a forum political graph.  And if results continue as they have been, we need only show one quadrant!

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Someone should map all these and give us a forum political graph.  And if results continue as they have been, we need only show one quadrant!

Very interesting...I'd like to see that , but I'm afraid I wouldn't know how.  If someone does, here are my scores to add  ;D
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.10

Still in that same 'ole quadrant!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:47:10 AM by kibitzer »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Awesome Kibitzer, thanks :D