Author Topic: The Soundproof Escape Pod #8  (Read 4200 times)

eytanz

on: June 02, 2011, 06:49:07 AM
Cover Letter (by Mur Lafferty, editor)

Hello Gentle Listeners—

May brought us the announcement of the Hugo Awards nominees, which means that June is Hugo Month! For years, Escape Pod has been buying the rights to most of the Hugo short story nominees, and this year is no different. We’ll be featuring three of the four nominees, and since June has five Thursdays, we will also be featuring two longer stories that got Nebula and/or Hugo nods!

We also have the ebook rights to the stories, which is an Escape Pod first, so next month’s Soundproof will be a collector’s item. (If a digital file could be collectible. Which it can’t. So never mind. But you know what I mean; it’ll be cool.) I’m very excited to see our site growing so much.

We want to send extra special congrats to the podcasts who managed to make it onto the Hugo Ballot this year! 2010 winner for Best Fanzine, Starship Sofa, has gotten another nomination, and Writing Excuses has received a nod for Best Related Work. SSS has wonderful stories from many masters of SF, and Writing Excuses has wonderful discussions on how to write genre fiction. We are thrilled that these quality podcasts are getting attention from fandom. I’ll be reporting from WorldCon in two and a half months, and liveblogging the Hugo Awards. More info soon!

A question we get a lot of is, “Why do you not have all the stories in your PDF?” The answer is simple- audio and ebook rights are purchased separately, and sometimes an author cannot or will not grant us both rights. Or there are stories we’ve purchased before we started purchasing ebook rights, so we have no right to give you text versions of the stories. We take our authors’ rights very seriously and will only release the format for which we have rights. Audio-only stories are fewer and fewer these days, but there still will be an occasional one in our future feed.

Speaking of the feed, some people have asked that the Soundproof Escape Pod have its own feed, or the audio have its own feed. Or the R stories to have their own feed. We get this question a lot and can’t really create custom feeds for each listener – but never fear, there is a solution. I’d like to point you to a page that gives you some RSS options, including some things you can do to custom make your own EP feed.

From How To Subscribe (http://escapepod.org/subscribe/):

You can make your own special Escape Pod feed by subscribing to http://www.escapepod.org/category/XXXX/feed where you replace XXXX with the category you want to subscribe to. Categories are listed on the front page in a drop-down box on the right. Have at it!

Lastly, in order to get the submissions under control, we’re taking two months off and closing for submissions on June 6th.

We hope you enjoy this issue, chock full of awesome stories, reviews, and Nebula reporting. We hope you have a wonderful summer (or winter, if you’re on the other side of the world) and keep listening! We will have other announcements next month!

—Mur
Downloads

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:26:23 PM
Not the end of the world, but I thought I'd mention that the text for EP292: In the Water is labeled as A Taste of Time in the pdf version. Episode number, author and text are all correct though.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:46:40 PM
Not the end of the world, but I thought I'd mention that the text for EP292: In the Water is labeled as A Taste of Time in the pdf version. Episode number, author and text are all correct though.

Ack, that will get fixed as soon as I'm off work.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:25:31 AM

Fixed version has been uploaded, thanks for pointing it out.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:19:50 PM

Fixed version has been uploaded, thanks for pointing it out.

no problem!  8)

flippertie

• Extern
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 03:38:02 PM
Mur said:

Speaking of the feed, some people have asked that the Soundproof Escape Pod have its own feed, or the audio have its own feed. Or the R stories to have their own feed. We get this question a lot and can’t really create custom feeds for each listener – but never fear, there is a solution. I’d like to point you to a page that gives you some RSS options, including some things you can do to custom make your own EP feed.

From How To Subscribe (http://escapepod.org/subscribe/):

You can make your own special Escape Pod feed by subscribing to http://www.escapepod.org/category/XXXX/feed where you replace XXXX with the category you want to subscribe to. Categories are listed on the front page in a drop-down box on the right. Have at it!

I'm one of several wh have asked about an Audio feed.  I know about the Categories and use them - but

==> All the Categories that are not Content Ratings seem to have a mix of Written and Audio items. 

==> There is currently no way within the existing categories to download all Audio items, and only Audio items. 

Escape Pod started out as an Audio only magazine.  It would be nice to be able to keep it that way for those of us who don't or can't use the soundproof/written items.