Escape Artists
October 20, 2018, 08:55:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP129: Immortal Sin  (Read 20765 times)
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »

Depends rather on the translation and context, actually.  Elsewhere, the Bible also states that God "stops the sun" from moving in order to extend a day and let people win a battle.  Obviously, if that literally happened, then it would have zero impact, as the sun doesn't move around the Earth.

This is not news to anyone who has studied the Bible.  Frankly, if one's faith is shaky enough that these sorts of issues send it crumbling down, then one probably wasn't in the right religion in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:12:58 PM by Scattercat » Logged

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »

It's way off topic, I know, but reading the book of Exodus recently I noticed something similar... and unlike what Swamp said above, this is explicitly stated in the Bible: Moses repeatedly goes to the Pharaoh and demands the liberation of the Israelites, and calls down plagues to demonstrate God's power. On each such occasion, Pharaoh agrees, plague is lifted... and then Pharaoh changes his mind and refuses to let the Israelites go. Why? Because he's just a cruel prick? No, because the LORD has hardened his heart! God is manipulating the Pharaoh just to have more opportunities to show how badass he is!

Come to think of it, I think that, according to the text I had in confirmation class, God entered the heart of Judas and triggered the betrayal.  That one really bugs me.
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »

2.  On a similar note, the concept that infants are born with sin and will go to Hell if not baptized.  I've always found this absurd.  Sin is a result of choice, and a newborn does not yet have the capacity to choose anything, everything is just a reaction to a stimulus until your brain develops more.  Infant death is a terrible thing to experience, and no parent needs the added guilt of "Oh no, we didn't get the priest here in time and now Baby's going to spend an eternity in Hell."  Like I said above, I see one of the major appeals of religion the opportunity to provide comfort in the face of death, and this is the polar opposite of that.  If that's the official rule any deity has created, well, I have a lot of trouble putting faith in that deity.

I have always struggled with that concept of infant baptism as well.  I just figured it was due to being raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  We believe that children are born free from sin becuase of the Atonement of Christ.  Baptism is for 1) a remission of sins, and 2) commiting your life to following Christ, neither of which is possible for an infant.  Baptism is performed when the child turns eight, when they understand right and wrong.

Having been to a few infant baptisms, I have come to the conclusion that there is some value in them. Mainly because they are not for the infant, but for the parents and community. In the ones I have seen, the parents, god parents, and community all vow to help raise the child "in the way of God". This is quite a beautiful sentiment, even if you don't believe in God. Stripped of all religious associations, the ceremony basically says "We accept this new child into our community and promise to help raise him/her, so that they become a good and productive member of our society". Now that is something I can get behind.
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »

Having been to a few infant baptisms, I have come to the conclusion that there is some value in them. Mainly because they are not for the infant, but for the parents and community. In the ones I have seen, the parents, god parents, and community all vow to help raise the child "in the way of God". This is quite a beautiful sentiment, even if you don't believe in God. Stripped of all religious associations, the ceremony basically says "We accept this new child into our community and promise to help raise him/her, so that they become a good and productive member of our society". Now that is something I can get behind.

Strip it of the religious associations and the damnation angle, and I have no problem with it either. But the religious associations are invariably present.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »

Not a comment on the story, but I followed the link in the title and it took me to episode 133 instead of 129...
Talia

Muahahahaha

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »

Not a comment on the story, but I followed the link in the title and it took me to episode 133 instead of 129...

Fixed. Smiley Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: