Author Topic: PC158: Gone Daddy Gone  (Read 17604 times)

Ashleigh

• Extern
Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 09:57:28 PM
I loved this story because of its connection to the aboriginal folk tale. From the beginning it sounded familiar, though it took me awhile to figure it out. The version I knew as a kid was called "The Princess and the Geese" from The Canadian Children's Treasury, and it was one of my favourites in the book; I still think of it often. This version sounds incredibly similar, but seems to use an American bird. I liked this re-telling because it felt like a more grown-up version of the story I loved as a child.

My only complaint is the strong emphasis on the "Americanness" of the story. I almost laughed out loud when the main character said something along the lines of, "We're Americans; we can do anything!" I have no problem with Americans (in fact, when I took a trip down the west coast of the States last year, everyone I met was incredibly friendly and welcoming) but that attitude sounds pretty silly sometimes. Though perhaps that was the point the author was trying to make?

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 01:43:37 AM
I almost laughed out loud when the main character said something along the lines of, "We're Americans; we can do anything!" I have no problem with Americans (in fact, when I took a trip down the west coast of the States last year, everyone I met was incredibly friendly and welcoming) but that attitude sounds pretty silly sometimes.

Silly, perhaps, but absolutely accurate to 1950's America.  There was a definite sense of "We can do anything!" in this country at that time.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 02:17:55 PM

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Wildfire

• Extern
Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 04:37:50 PM
I'm not really a fan of 50's America stories, and I prefer stories where I sympathise with the main character (which I didn't here). I also don't know much about Native American folklore, but despite all of this I really enjoyed the story.

So to make someone enjoy a story, and really LISTEN to it, when they have no particular reason to, means it must be really well written. Well done!

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 03:28:35 PM
This story had me from the first word, namely, "Dig."

I really enjoyed Dave's reading of this. I have a sort of love interest in the Beat generation, and I loved "On the Road." even though half the time I had no clue what it was about. I think my favorite part was the black man and how he was also caught up in the magic of it, even affecting his language so that he sounded exactly like Moondoggie, but how he was still eager for change.

Good story, and great reading, Dave!

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 07:35:35 PM

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 06:00:30 AM
I thought it was a fun little romp, but I spent more time trying to figure out which fairy tale it was reskinning. I've been racking my brain over which one it was and for the life of me I have no idea.

Most of it was referring to the Native American tradition of bird-people (or other animal-people; I've read deer-based versions, too) who remove their animal skins as cloaks in order to bathe, at which point the canny man can snag the cloak and bind the animal-person to him as his wife.  These stories usually end in tears for pretty much everyone involved.
Well, in that case I'm glad that it stopped where it did. :)

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Rough Week

• Extern
Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:14 PM
Since Dave included my thoughts on The Hortlak in the feedback segment of this episode, I wanted to add to the discussion of this story (and others). My prior comments were somewhat of a rant, and it'd do PodCastle a great injustice if the one comment I shared was so negative, when overall PodCastle is such an outstanding podcast, with wonderful stories and excellent narration and production!

I liked this story, it was a very enjoyable ride. I especially liked the characters. Moon Doggy was a good protagonist, with a good mix of motivations. He was basically a good guy, and just wanted to be with the one he fell in love with. But he's done some things he's not proud of in pursuit of that, and fights with fear and uncertainty. Which of us cannot say that about ourselves? And Prissy is an interesting character. Captured and wings clipped, but still returning love. Her balance of knowing she needs to make drastic changes to restore a natural balance, but being laid back about it and wanting the best for Moon Doggy, seems to fit well with the California surfer vibe.

Dave did an awesome job at the narration; I don't know who could have done this particular piece better. He played the "surfer dude" theme well, and I greatly enjoyed listening to this one.

Mav.Weirdo

• Palmer
Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 07:46:26 PM
I'm not a fan of this story, for the same reasons I didn't like "California King". The California Fantasy subgenre doesn't really speak to me.

Sorry Dave, I don't mean to pick on stories you read. I don't have any problem with your reading, it's the editor's fault for choosing the story. Oh wait...
 ;)

Leslianne

• Palmer
Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:56 PM
I may just be bringing personal issues to bear here, but I have to agree with Mbrennan- I couldn't like Moondoggie. I feel like the author was directing us at several points to the idea that he's kind of well-meaning but gormless (he'd grown a goatee and read Kerouac, so he knew about freedom, but what did that have to do with Prissy?), but I can't get over Moondoggie's tacit understanding that because he loves her it's okay that he steals a piece of her and keeps it locked away. And because she doesn't fight back it means he's entitled to keep her forever. And the fact that she cares about him too doesn't soften that relationship dynamic enough to make me sympathetic to him. I spent a lot of the story hoping he never found her, and she got to go home without ever having to see him again, but she didn't seem to have any agency in that either. It was just her going along with an abduction by her original world, the same way she'd gone along with him.

Also, I thought the story with the swan sisters and their dresses was a European story?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 03:00:35 AM
Yawn, daddy, yawn.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 01:54:04 PM
I guess I didn't really get this one.  I've never understood the fascination with road trips, or road trip stories, so I'm probably just not the target audience on this one.

I tend to like Manic Pixie Dream Girl type stories, but the ones that are really effective are the ones where I can really fall into the character's mind and I feel a bit like I've fallen for the girl myself.  In this case, I didn't really get her appeal, and so the relationship and the road trip chase didn't really get me worked up. 

His stealing of the jacket did put me in mind of Selkies as well, which made me root for the protagonist even less, forcing her as he was.

I worked my way up from story one to 92, about a lot of them I wanted to write, but what sense is there to comment on stories long gone.

Plenty of sense.  I like reading people's comments on stories, old or new.  I don't know about anyone else.  :)

Maybe it is because this story touches some things that are not fantasy but more american, and if, as a foreigner like me, you dont understand
America than the story has no chance to give me something.

It might be something more geared towards Americans but, as an American, I didn't really get it.  Then again, I also don't like baseball, and apple pie is near the bottom of my favorite dessert list.

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 06:06:21 AM
I loved this from beggining to end. An adult fairytale about love, and the fear of change. It's weird, pycadelic and awsome. I really enjoyed everymoment and it stayed as vividly in my mind as that day on the beach.