Escape Artists
September 23, 2018, 11:13:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pseudopod 238: The Talisman  (Read 6354 times)
Marguerite
Editor

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »

The next two days were sheer hell (seriously - if a doctor ever says "Inner ear infection" to you, block out at least 4 to 6 days of uselessness) which consisted mostly of me groaning and keeping my eyes tightly shut or stumbling across a sea-pitched floor towards the bathroom.

Eeek, that sounds awful!  Rest up as best you can!

Alea Iacta Est!
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »

^ I'll ditto that!  Sounds pretty terrible!  (And thanks for the 'block out 4-6 days' advice haha)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Sledge
Extern

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 04:13:55 PM »

I loved this. That is all.
justenjoying
Peltast

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 12:24:44 AM »

This was a vividly exciting story, but I still don't get the title at all. It was well written and the imagry so vivid, but so much is left unexplained, yet not enough is left to our imaginations. I felt lost in the woods still, evven after they where "saved".
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »

This was a vividly exciting story, but I still don't get the title at all. It was well written and the imagry so vivid, but so much is left unexplained, yet not enough is left to our imaginations. I felt lost in the woods still, evven after they where "saved".

Let me take a stab at it.
Merriam-Webster's definition of "talisman":
Definition of TALISMAN
: an object held to act as a charm to avert evil and bring good fortune
: something producing apparently magical or miraculous effects

It seems like the monsters were unleashed to kill tourists who some magic-maker saw as a curse upon their country.  The easiest way to pick out a tourist from a local in almost any location is their clothing, so it makes sense that if you were creating magical killing machines this would be their trigger.  That's also why the monsters are wearing clothes that look kind of touristy--to blend in with their prey. 

So, it's her authentic local clothing that saves her life.  They mistake her for a local and thus spare her.  So to her, her clothing has averted evil and brought good fortune, and has done so in an apparently magical or miraculous way.  So calling her clothing a "talisman" sounds entirely accurate.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: