Escape Artists
April 19, 2014, 03:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC175, Giant Episode: El Regalo  (Read 2503 times)
Talia

I like pie

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »

I think it was probably El Viejo, which means Old Man en Espanol. Smiley
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »

This was a reasonably good story, though as with most of the giants I thought it would've done better at a shorter length, more compact and less rambly.  I enjoyed the interaction between the two kids, felt very much like real kids.  I liked how the boy's magic is more obvious but not powerful and hers is late to develop but more powerful.  And how he uses his less powerful magic in a new way to wipe the baddie out while she remained helpless.  That's a tough pair of sibs there!

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
justenjoying
Peltast

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »

This seemed like a drawn out story for a simple concept. I did love the growing up with magic from a super little kid. We usally see it from a teenager or above. An eight year old using magic is scary shit, but in the end kind of sweet and really about a brother and sister becoming closer. I'm super close with my younger siblings, but if my brother was to be the one who suddenly had super powers I don't know how I would react.
LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »

Charming story. I giggled at the fertility doll prank, and loved the antagonism/grudging affection between the siblings.  The part with El Viejo had me scratching my head because it felt like it came from out of nowhere. Old guy witch is threatened by competition? And wait, the sister has powers as well? That actually took some of the charm from the story--although I did laugh when she decided to leave last Thursday and actually did it. I don't think the whole "You can do magic too" needed to be explained--just have her stomp out and let the audience figure out how she did it. She's obnoxious enough that it can work, magic or no magic.

I also liked the multi-ethnicity shown in the story, though there were times I got a little lost discerning the adult characters. Was trying to figure out if both kids were mixed Korean or if they were a blended family, then realized it didn't really matter.

On a side note, in college, I also, for reasons I had no clue whatsoever about, wrote a love letter to a guy and mailed it out to him. As soon as I put it in the mailbox (for there were mailboxes back then), I did my hardest to cram myself into the mailbox to get it back. No such luck. And sadly, I wasn't a witch, so the letter was mailed out to him. What followed was a very, very awkward phone call, in which I have thankfully blanked from my mind, but had him pretty much saying he wasn't interested. The irony is, twenty years later, we're now co-workers and pretty good friends, though if I need to send him correspondence, I get my hubby to do it.  Cheesy

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
Mex5150
Extern

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »

Hi,

Many months behind, I know, and posting about something I disliked rather than liked (again).

I thought this story was terrible! It was trying just too hard, and in my view missing its mark dramatically. In addition to that I HATED the way it was read, I may have actually reached the end if somebody better had been allowed a go at it.

I know most people enjoyed it, but not me, sorry (although, I my give the written version a go sometime to see if that improves things).

-Mex
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: