Author Topic: Which SF series should they remake?  (Read 38323 times)

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 02:54:38 PM
I loved the Slitheen who had massive weapons of destruction which could be deployed in 45 seconds. Largely because at the time, the government and BBC news (the BBC makes Doctor Who) had fought a vicious battle around pre-Iraq war claims that Saddam had weapons that could attack the UK within 45 minutes. This battle led, via the suicide of a scientist, to the BBC's boss resigning. This line felt like the BBC's revenge.

The programme also had an omnisexual character, but good old British euphemism (he's just more flexible about who he dances with) meant that this completely failed to ignite outrage from the "moral" minority.

On the other hand, BSG is upfront in its exploration of political and social themes. Not a problem for me, i love political SF (Ken Macleod, Iain M Banks, Ursula Le Guin etc) but I imagine it wouldn't be interesting viewing for someone uninterested in this stuff. Doctor Who is insistent in seeking to appeal to as wide an audience as possible (the series creator says there aren't enough shows the whole family can sit down and watch together- and all find interesting).

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.

ChrisCooke

• Extern
Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 09:50:59 AM
Oh, and:
http://www.sixofone.org.uk/Prisoner-Remake.htm

...Hmmm.  Come to think of it, I guess it's possible they're remaking it right now.  They simply changed the title to Lost.

Nah - Lost is a remake of Twin Peaks, surely :)

And I'd nominate Ultraviolet for a remake - not that it needs it in the slightest, but it really deserves a wider audience, and it was abandoned far too soon; a it deserved many more episodes.  An understated and realistic crime drama that not once actually used the word vampire.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 02:01:52 PM
I think we need a remake of The Greatest American Hero, and, while we're at it, let's bring back Automan, the best TV series ever to almost completely rip off the movie Tron.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 09:00:20 PM
SInce your talking about shows like AutoMan, does anyone remember Manimal?

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Jim

• Matross
Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 12:06:39 AM
Oh, great heavens, yes. Only eight episodes, though.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #30 on: March 18, 2007, 01:00:05 AM

I'll see your Manimal and I'll raise you a Small & Frye.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #31 on: March 18, 2007, 10:32:35 PM
How about Space:  Above and Beyond

Do it in a Ron Moore gritty style with more of all our favorite BSG vises (except for love squares) it'd be great!

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 02:47:06 PM
What about a completely redone version of the shortlived ( yet utterly cool ) "Saphire and Steel". 

Have you chaps in the colonies, even heard of that series?

I can't speak for all of us on the other side of the pond, but I'd watch a Saphire and Steel remake.    I'd also go for some catsuit-and-bowler Avengers action, come to think.

However, I'm sure the weirdness that made both series wonderful would probably sapped out right quick to make them more "accessable."  Maybe if we got Charlie Kaufman and Grant Morrison to be show-runners...

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 02:52:19 PM
You don't think it's too late to go 20 minutes into the future, do you?

It'd be nice to actually computer generate Max's head, instead of just having Matt Frewer in a latex mask.
   Two fisted journalist action!  Plus, with the rise of citizen journalism and the seismic change in how information is handled since the original series, that would work like a charm.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 03:07:48 PM

I'll see your Small & Frye and raise you a Streethawk!

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Jim

• Matross
Reply #35 on: March 19, 2007, 03:14:08 PM

I'll see your Streethawk and raise you a Holmes & Yo-Yo!

And yes, I'm old enough to have watched that show, although I was only about nine years old at the time.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #36 on: March 19, 2007, 03:19:31 PM
I vote for Star Cops.  That was cool show, but like so many other shows, had no regular production, or schedule, but the stories were goooooood.
   Seconded.  Star Cops had a massive effect on me growing up, in fact it was probably the thing I'd point to as the catalyst for me starting to write.  There was one episode, I think 'In Warm Blood' which opened with a deep range freighter coming back in from the outer solar system and the entire crew dead and mummified that's seared onto my brain.  Wonderful show.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #37 on: March 19, 2007, 03:23:33 PM
What about a completely redone version of the shortlived ( yet utterly cool ) "Saphire and Steel". 

Have you chaps in the colonies, even heard of that series?

I can't speak for all of us on the other side of the pond, but I'd watch a Saphire and Steel remake.    I'd also go for some catsuit-and-bowler Avengers action, come to think.

However, I'm sure the weirdness that made both series wonderful would probably sapped out right quick to make them more "accessable."  Maybe if we got Charlie Kaufman and Grant Morrison to be show-runners...
   Did you ever read the Morrison-scripted Avengers mini-series?  Worked wonderfully, especially the conversation Steed and Mrs Peel have walking around a gigantic ship in a bottle...
   As for Sapphire and Steel, you might be interested in the audio dramas Big Finish do.  They've got David Warner and Susannah Harker in as Sapphire and Steel and the first series at least are great, really capturing the feel of the original show.  The site's at:

http://www.doctorwho.co.uk/sapphireandsteel/index.shtml

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #38 on: March 19, 2007, 03:34:23 PM
I vote for Star Cops.  That was cool show, but like so many other shows, had no regular production, or schedule, but the stories were goooooood.
   Seconded.  Star Cops had a massive effect on me growing up, in fact it was probably the thing I'd point to as the catalyst for me starting to write.  There was one episode, I think 'In Warm Blood' which opened with a deep range freighter coming back in from the outer solar system and the entire crew dead and mummified that's seared onto my brain.  Wonderful show.

Wasn't that a Gerry Anderson show? I seem to remember it airing mid-afternoons in the early 90s.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 03:35:56 PM

And yes, I'm old enough to have watched that show, although I was only about nine years old at the time.

OH. MY. GOD!!! I REMEMBER THAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can only fold though as nothing in my history is as weird or short lived as that!

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 03:48:14 PM

Wasn't that a Gerry Anderson show? I seem to remember it airing mid-afternoons in the early 90s.
   I think that was Space Precinct, which was pretty much the last live action show Anderson did.  Star Cops fell a little earlier, if I'm remember right, in the last couple of years of the eighties.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #41 on: March 19, 2007, 03:56:20 PM

I didn't remember it until I saw the pictures.  I only remember seeing one scene. John Shuck picks up a book and fans all the pages on front of his face and reads the whole book in about 2 seconds.  His partner then tries to convince the person whose office they are using that he didn't really read it just now. He read it before.  I guess I was about 11 when that was on.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #42 on: March 19, 2007, 04:02:03 PM
Lots of people have mentioned Gerry Anderson. The one show of his I probably enjoyed the most when I was a kid (besides maybe "Thunderbirds") was "Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons."  I haven't seen it in over 30 years and I'm sure I could hum the theme song.

"How did you know he was a mysteron?"
"Because he didn't ask us for our identification."

I used to build lego SPV's and park them in my lego Thunderbird 2.  :D

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #43 on: March 19, 2007, 04:04:14 PM

I think that was Space Precinct, which was pretty much the last live action show Anderson did.  Star Cops fell a little earlier, if I'm remember right, in the last couple of years of the eighties.

Ahh, that's right. Space Precinct! I've never seen Star Cops then. I'll have to dig up some info on it, thanks!

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #44 on: March 19, 2007, 05:33:36 PM
V would be a good candidate for a remake.  and while not really sci-fi would love to see millennium resurrected.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #45 on: March 19, 2007, 06:47:49 PM

Holmes & Yo-Yo -- This one seems vauguely familiar
Small & Frye -- never heard of it, but it sounds like good '80's fun
Streethawk -- I remember, and I loved it

I was going to fold as well, but I thought I would lay down two more cards:

1) Otherworld from 1985 about a family in an RV traveling accross a a parallel universe Earth.  However, I think this series has been mentioned elsewhere in the forums.

2) Jason of Star Command - a live-action Saturday morning show from the late '70's.  See the intro here,
or a scene here.  I always remember thinking that Dragos's security guards looked like wet wookies.  Also, did Jason steal his uniform from Han Solo?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:11:25 PM by kmmrlatham »

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #46 on: March 19, 2007, 07:27:08 PM
We can't delve into 1970's Saturday morning live action slush without mentioning:
Electro Woman and Dyna Girl
HR Puff-n-stuff
Sigmund and the Sea monsters
Lidsville

and of course,
Land of the Lost
(and kudos to Kevin Smith for naming a character Marshal Willenholly.)

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 07:41:42 PM
We can't delve into 1970's Saturday morning live action slush without mentioning:
HR Puff-n-stuff
Lidsville

and of course,
Land of the Lost
(and kudos to Kevin Smith for naming a character Marshal Willenholly.)

Or Dr. Shrinker
The Lost Saucer
The Far out Space Nuts
Ark 2
The Mighty Isis

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 08:12:42 PM
HR Puff-n-stuff
Lidsville

and of course,
Land of the Lost

Or Dr. Shrinker
The Lost Saucer
The Far out Space Nuts
Ark 2
The Mighty Isis

These are all great!

I am so glad that someone mentioned The Far out Space Nuts.  For years I have told my wife and others about that show and all I got were balnk stares.  I told them, "It was like Gilligan and the Skipper in space with Puffnstuff monsters".  They thought I was nuts myself.

The Mighty Isis was a spin-off of SHAZAM!  I watched them both.

OK here's a true test of my sanity.  Does anyone else remember another Krofft  production named Wonder Buggy or something like that about a bunch of teenagers with a regular car that would transform into this really cool sparkly red car when they faced danger? 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 08:25:21 PM by kmmrlatham »

Jim

• Matross
Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 08:57:49 PM
Wonder Bug, yes, I remember that show. Three generic teenagers find a wreck of a dunebuggy and transform it into a flying mystical car with a magic horn. Those Krofft shows were whacked, downright surreal. I loved them like crazy when I was little.