Author Topic: Saving podcasts in iTunes  (Read 19163 times)

Russell Nash

on: February 16, 2007, 01:31:04 PM
This probably doesn't belong here, but here goes.

I use iTunes to get my podcasts (it's kind of neccessary with my iPod).  I have a huge list of Podcasts and it's even worse because of my massive backlog.(currently over 9 days).

I want to keep certain episodes of EP and other podcasts, but I want to get them out of my Podcast Library.  I only want un-listened-to podcasts in there.

I've tried a few different conversions to one format or another and that hasn't worked.  The only thing that has worked was opening them in Quicktime and re-saving them as a normal mp-3s.  This reduces the quality and is a pain. Can anyone help?

Edit
(I'm copying my post about the solution here to the first post. This way if anyone just wants to now how to save podcasts, they don't need to read the whole thread)

OK, I found the solution (on the iTunes forum. Thank you, Jim) and it was a variation of Michael's suggestion. I just had to Macify it a bit. It's something I tried before on iTunes 6 (probably) and it didn't work, but it works now.

You use the convert to MP3 function (like Michael said) this puts a copy in the Music library (even if the original was MP3) then chuck the original. No need to go out of iTunes and pull files around it's already there.

Before when I did it the copy would also come up as a podcast, no matter what I converted it to. I had a couple of AIFF podcasts for a while once.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:26:51 PM by Russell Nash »

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 02:20:07 PM

I use iTunes to get my podcasts (it's kind of neccessary with my iPod).  I have a huge list of Podcasts and it's even worse because of my massive backlog.(currently over 9 days).

I want to keep certain episodes of EP and other podcasts, but I want to get them out of my Podcast Library.  I only want un-listened-to podcasts in there.

I've tried a few different conversions to one format or another and that hasn't worked.  The only thing that has worked was opening them in Quicktime and re-saving them as a normal mp-3s.  This reduces the quality and is a pain. Can anyone help?

All I do is highlight the podcast I want, ctrl+click and choose "show in finder" it shows me the mp3 of the EP Episode, and I can drag it out of the folder to anywhere I like on the computer. Are you using Windows or Macintosh? The podcasts I pull down, all of them, come in as mp3 files so no conversion is necessary.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 03:07:05 PM

All I do is highlight the podcast I want, ctrl+click and choose "show in finder" it shows me the mp3 of the EP Episode, and I can drag it out of the folder to anywhere I like on the computer. Are you using Windows or Macintosh? The podcasts I pull down, all of them, come in as mp3 files so no conversion is necessary.

Forgot that piece of info. I'm using OSX.

I can open the files in any program as an MP-3. That's not the problem. I use iTunes to play all of my files and I want to be able to have a playlist of old podcasts in iTunes without having them in the Podcast Library.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:49:58 PM

Forgot that piece of info. I'm using OSX.

I can open the files in any program as an MP-3. That's not the problem. I use iTunes to play all of my files and I want to be able to have a playlist of old podcasts in iTunes without having them in the Podcast Library.

Hmmmm... I'd originally written out a bunch of steps to make this happen, then tested them to make sure I was right and they didn't work. I even renamed the file and it didn't work.

LOL.

What I do is keep a playlist called "Jeffstories" in iTunes where I have all the UD stories and Ambient Sleaze, and I just drag the podcasts to that. I clean up my podcast directory every few weeks so space isn't much of a problem. I just have to make sure not to delete the ones I want to keep (I am guessing here).

I know I used to be able to do what you're asking, but either iTunes doesn't allow it anymore, or I've completely forgotten how to do it.

Sorry man.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:11:38 PM by jrderego »

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 04:51:05 PM
There is no way to do this in iTunes; I know because I've tried the same thing.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 04:04:28 AM
i know a way
it might not allways work but try it
go to file, create new smart playlist
then select under match the following rule, select podcast--is true
then you limit the list to x items (25,30, whatever seems best) selected by least often played.
this will put all of the podcasts that havnt been listened to at all into a playlist.
this should help more than anything.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:02:05 AM
i know a way
it might not allways work but try it
go to file, create new smart playlist
then select under match the following rule, select podcast--is true
then you limit the list to x items (25,30, whatever seems best) selected by least often played.
this will put all of the podcasts that havnt been listened to at all into a playlist.
this should help more than anything.

That would help if I wanted to keep take of which ones I haven't listened to yet, but that doesn't help at all with what I was after.

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 05:35:57 PM
Okay, here is another way.  Change your encoder in itunes from AAC to something else... I would suggest MP3.  (edit, preferences, advanced, importing.)  highlight all the Podcasts you want to archive and right click, (or whatever you apple guys do to get a menu on files selected) and select convert.  Itunes will crank them all into good quality MP3's and then you can move them out of you itunes directory and store them someplace that Itunes doesn't know about (if Itunes is organizing your directories it might move them right back).  I am assuming you will have different icons for AAC and MP3 or on a list view you can find them easily to move them. 

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 08:37:17 PM
Okay, here is another way.  Change your encoder in itunes from AAC to something else... I would suggest MP3.  (edit, preferences, advanced, importing.)  highlight all the Podcasts you want to archive and right click, (or whatever you apple guys do to get a menu on files selected) and select convert.  Itunes will crank them all into good quality MP3's and then you can move them out of you itunes directory and store them someplace that Itunes doesn't know about (if Itunes is organizing your directories it might move them right back).  I am assuming you will have different icons for AAC and MP3 or on a list view you can find them easily to move them. 

Tried it. The problem is trying to play the files in iTunes without them showing up in the podcast directory. When you do what you suggest (almost all podcasts are already MP3)  iTunes just puts it back in the podcast directory.

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 11:59:58 PM
Doesn't the Mac have some other player?  I would only convert the file format to make them compatible with another player.  So personally I would play converted ones in Windows Media player, and further make the mp3 default player windows media player so m4a's opened with itunes and mp3's opened with Windows Media when I clicked on them.

You can have windows media player for MAC OS X for Free Here:

http://www.download.com/Windows-Media-Player/3000-2182_4-10242701.html?tag=lst-0-7

You do know you can set Itunes to only put Checked selections onto you Ipod, right?  You can batch check and uncheck selections.  If you do that, the extra podcasts aren't really in the way even if they are in the directory...   

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 09:39:08 AM
Doesn't the Mac have some other player?  I would only convert the file format to make them compatible with another player.  So personally I would play converted ones in Windows Media player, and further make the mp3 default player windows media player so m4a's opened with itunes and mp3's opened with Windows Media when I clicked on them.

You can have windows media player for MAC OS X for Free Here:

http://www.download.com/Windows-Media-Player/3000-2182_4-10242701.html?tag=lst-0-7

You do know you can set Itunes to only put Checked selections onto you Ipod, right?  You can batch check and uncheck selections.  If you do that, the extra podcasts aren't really in the way even if they are in the directory...   

Will somebody PLEASE read the original post. I want to use iTunes, because it is my normal player and updates my iPod.

There is no need to use bloatware like windows media player.
      1) no playlists
      2) quicktime does everything WMP does, but better.

I want to keep the podcasts in my playlists, in the simple and elegant iTunes set-up, but want them out of the podcast directory.  I can remove them from iTunes and play them in quicktime far easier then all of the window ideas listed here, but I want to keep using iTunes until somebody can point me to a jukebox program that works better.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 04:09:19 PM
I want to keep the podcasts in my playlists, in the simple and elegant iTunes set-up, but want them out of the podcast directory.  I can remove them from iTunes and play them in quicktime far easier then all of the window ideas listed here, but I want to keep using iTunes until somebody can point me to a jukebox program that works better.

Hi Russell,

I don't know if this meets your requirements, but have you considered downloading the episodes you want to keep straight off the Web site? 

With Escape Pod you can do this just by right-clicking on the podcast icon in each entry and choosing "Save As..." (in Firefox/Camino) or "Download Linked File" (in Safari).  Once the file's downloaded to your hard drive, you can just drag it into iTunes and whatever playlist you want. 

It's not terribly elegant -- but you're right.  I haven't figured out any way yet to disassociate a "podcast" file from the iTunes podcast features either.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 03:23:55 AM
Okay, Russell, stay calm, I am here to help.    ;D  Just change the genre.  Highlight them all, click "Get Info" and change the genre from "Podcast" to "Audio book"--that will take it out of your Podcast Directory.

If you want to keep them all together, change the artist (to like all EP), otherwise they will disperse by authors name around your directory.  Another way to find them is to sort by genre and the audio books will all clump together again.

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 10:51:13 AM

I don't know if this meets your requirements, but have you considered downloading the episodes you want to keep straight off the Web site? 

This is what I do. I was just hoping there was a command that would make it easier. Also not all podcasts can be downloaded like this.

Okay, Russell, stay calm, I am here to help.      Just change the genre.  Highlight them all, click "Get Info" and change the genre from "Podcast" to "Audio book"--that will take it out of your Podcast Directory.

Tried that second after using "convert to". It doesn't work

Startrekwiki

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 03:57:20 AM
Yes, this works. I personally prefer simply copying the EP episodes that I like into my library [using the "iTunes Folder" method] then changing the settings to automatically prune the amount of Podcasts in my directory to "Month Old" ones. I put "Month Old" in brackets, because EP episodes are really great and timeless! The ones I lose to being away for a month, I download onto my laptop from the EP site.

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 08:07:44 AM
Yes, this works. I personally prefer simply copying the EP episodes that I like into my library [using the "iTunes Folder" method] then changing the settings to automatically prune the amount of Podcasts in my directory to "Month Old" ones. I put "Month Old" in brackets, because EP episodes are really great and timeless! The ones I lose to being away for a month, I download onto my laptop from the EP site.

I think the problem here is that I'm using iTunes 7. There are seperate libraries for music and podcasts. No matter how I change the genre, it doesn't let me move a podcast into the music library. When I delete it from the podcast library, it is gone. Even if I choose keep files, the files are left in the computer folder, but removed from iTunes.

I would appreciate a idiot's step guide with every tiny step included, but I don't think that will make a difference.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 02:21:42 PM
Have you posted this question at the iTunes forum on Apple's discussion boards?

I bet someone there would have a perfect solution, perhaps involving Automator.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 05:39:50 PM
Have you posted this question at the iTunes forum on Apple's discussion boards?

I bet someone there would have a perfect solution, perhaps involving Automator.

Originally, I was just thinking, "there's probably some trick that's common knowledge. I'll throw the question up here and if somebody has the answer they'll post it." I didn't expect any conversation other than that. If nobody posted in a week or so I would have gone there. I don't have a lot of time to be checking too many forums and since I already am here as moderator, this would be easier.

Next time I'll go straight to the most appropriate place.

Jim

• Matross
Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 06:43:20 PM
Originally, I was just thinking, "there's probably some trick that's common knowledge...
That goes to show you, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.  :D

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

Startrekwiki

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 09:32:43 PM
Really? I think that there are some quite stupid questions, such as

"What is our Moon called?". Oh, wait. That's Luna in Greek. Is the moon called anything else?

Reap3r

• Palmer
  • Dont Make Me Eat You.
    • The Green Bunny
Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 10:23:36 PM
Really? I think that there are some quite stupid questions, such as

"What is our Moon called?". Oh, wait. That's Luna in Greek. Is the moon called anything else?

I heard someone say, "What's Hitler's last name?" Though, after he got all the looks, he realized his mistake.

Thinking? I've never heard of that. Is it some kind of food? Please tell me it tastes better than those sick pop tarts filled with meat. You know, Hot Pockets. What, thinking isn't a food? Well then, what is it? Does it have to be built. I hate building things. JUST TELL ME NOW! O look, a bird.

Startrekwiki

Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 01:19:52 AM
I suppose that my question makes no sense. What it is meant to say, is something more like, "Are there any more root words for the word "Moon"'? I suppose that this is just a stupid question, what it was meant to be!

Jim

• Matross
Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 02:12:01 AM
Aaaaaand we've jumped the tracks.  :-\

Startrekwiki

Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 02:15:44 AM
Yep. So, I'd say that means that we've finished helping with the iTunes PodCast problems.

Russell Nash

Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 12:58:39 PM
OK, I found the solution (on the iTunes forum. Thank you, Jim) and it was a variation of Michael's suggestion. I just had to Macify it a bit. It's something I tried before on iTunes 6 (probably) and it didn't work, but it works now.

You use the convert to MP3 function (like Michael said) this puts a copy in the Music library (even if the original was MP3) then chuck the original. No need to go out of iTunes and pull files around it's already there.

Before when I did it the copy would also come up as a podcast, no matter what I converted it to. I had a couple of AIFF podcasts for a while once.