Author Topic: Saving podcasts in iTunes  (Read 19012 times)

kenryan

• Extern
Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 03:18:36 AM
...(it's kind of neccessary with my iPod).

Actually it isn't, at least with mine. :-)  I've had my ipod for about a year.  I installed itunes on an old win2k laptop for the sole purpose of coverting the ipod to FAT format, then deleted itunes and have never used it since (I've since learned that I didn't even need to do that much, had I done a little more research).  My ipod has never been registered, and my only presence in Apple's databases is a few postings in their user forum.

Linux based (SuSE then, Fedora now), castpodder for receiving podcast feeds, and gtkpod for managing my ipod.  It's not as pretty as itunes but I can do anything I want.  CDs, podcasts, radio shows (via my radioshark), movies, almost everything.

DRM? What's that?

ken

Russell Nash

Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 12:21:43 PM
...(it's kind of neccessary with my iPod).

Actually it isn't, at least with mine. :-)  I've had my ipod for about a year.  I installed itunes on an old win2k laptop for the sole purpose of coverting the ipod to FAT format, then deleted itunes and have never used it since (I've since learned that I didn't even need to do that much, had I done a little more research).  My ipod has never been registered, and my only presence in Apple's databases is a few postings in their user forum.

Linux based (SuSE then, Fedora now), castpodder for receiving podcast feeds, and gtkpod for managing my ipod.  It's not as pretty as itunes but I can do anything I want.  CDs, podcasts, radio shows (via my radioshark), movies, almost everything.

DRM? What's that?

ken

I have a mac for the ease of use and elegant interface. I don't like to spend time wrestling with a computer. I'm a photography geek not a computer geek. If the only choices were windows or linux, I wouldn't even have a computer. (More likely I would have one for email and some surfing, but that's it)

iTunes has all the things I want in one simple package. With the last upgrade I even got my automatic conversion of podcasts to music files.

My problem came from not retrying things I had tried in iTunes 6 after I switched to iTunes 7. Einstein said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing again and expecting a differet result. He obviously never had a personal computer. (I'm sure he or one of his assistants used one of those massive vacuum tube machines, but that doesn't count)

The conversion of video podcasts is still spotty. It works, so far, about 25% of the time, even when Ii try to convert the same file types.

Startrekwiki

Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 02:41:12 PM
Einstein said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing again and expecting a differet result. He obviously never had a personal computer.

VideoCasts are pretty cool... Anyway, that definition is wrong. A good example is politics: we always ask for results, but we never get them. Then we hate the person in charge, we love the opposition, then the opposition gets elected, and here we go again.

Does that make sense to you?

Or is the definition correct, and we are all insane?

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 03:36:21 PM
Einstein said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing again and expecting a differet result. He obviously never had a personal computer.

VideoCasts are pretty cool... Anyway, that definition is wrong. A good example is politics: we always ask for results, but we never get them. Then we hate the person in charge, we love the opposition, then the opposition gets elected, and here we go again.

Not to nitpick, but that's not really a good example.  The 'we', i.e. the majority of voters, doesn't always ask for the same thing. Voters are notoriously finicky.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Startrekwiki

Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 03:18:52 AM

Not to nitpick, but that's not really a good example.  The 'we', i.e. the majority of voters, doesn't always ask for the same thing. Voters are notoriously finicky.

You're right to point that out. What I mean is that at least a good percentage of voters like candidates because of their promises, coupled with other things. In other words, whoever gets elected, we expect to fulfill his promises. I've noticed that they don't usually do that. Or so goes the stereotype.

PS. You're right to nitpick on everything I say, because I'm kind-of new to forums.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 10:09:54 AM
Aaaaaand we've jumped the tracks.  :-\
Right after someone said "Hitler", too. Whoah, creepy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 09:34:09 PM
I am having an annoying side effect which is exactly what this question was about.  I tell Itunes to automatically organize my library, then if I dump some music in the "My Music" folder that it defaul and "Add Folder" to the library, and select "My Music"...  the software automatically moves my podcasts to my music library and organizes them by who read them--which I don't even want it to do.   :D

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 04:44:12 AM
I thought this was going to get me somewhere.

When I deleted a podcast, I got this alert:
Do you want to move the selected podcasts to the Trash, or keep them in the iTunes Music folder?
Only files in the iTunes Music folder will be moved to the Trash
[Cancel] [Keep files] [Move to Trash]
So, I thought it was going to lose it's podcastiness and become a plain-old-vanilla mp3 file, but when I double-clicked on it in the Finder to open it with iTunes, it plopped itself right back into the list with the other Escape Pod podcasts, except it got stripped of the show description.

The versions I download manually from the web site via the browser get dumped into the iTunes general Music library, and they do not behave like podcasts.

PS. If one limits (ie. rations) one's consumption of podcasts, is that called "podcastration"?

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Russell Nash

Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 07:37:18 AM
I thought this was going to get me somewhere.

When I deleted a podcast, I got this alert:
Do you want to move the selected podcasts to the Trash, or keep them in the iTunes Music folder?
Only files in the iTunes Music folder will be moved to the Trash
[Cancel] [Keep files] [Move to Trash]
So, I thought it was going to lose it's podcastiness and become a plain-old-vanilla mp3 file, but when I double-clicked on it in the Finder to open it with iTunes, it plopped itself right back into the list with the other Escape Pod podcasts, except it got stripped of the show description.

The versions I download manually from the web site via the browser get dumped into the iTunes general Music library, and they do not behave like podcasts.

PS. If one limits (ie. rations) one's consumption of podcasts, is that called "podcastration"?

That was the last thing I tried before I started this thread.  "The Convert selection to MP3" is the only thing I've found that does the job short of redownloading manually.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 05:43:22 AM
I tell Itunes to automatically organize my library,...

That's a mistake I won't be making a second time, let me tell you.  It took over an hour to put everything back where it was supposed to go.  >:(

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 01:17:57 AM
I have a question along these lines
when I put a podcast on my ipod it automatically puts it in reverse order ( the oldest one last) no matter what the order is on ituens
any ideas?

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Russell Nash

Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 08:19:59 AM
when I put a podcast on my ipod it automatically puts it in reverse order ( the oldest one last) no matter what the order is on ituens
any ideas?

If you're talking about in the podcast library, just click on the button on the top of the release date column.  I believe the little triangle is currently pointing up.  When you click it, it will point down and you'll be all set.

eytanz

Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 08:23:17 AM
any ideas?

I think the only choice is to switch to a different podcast player. iPods just don't allow much control over the interface as far as podcasts are concerned (I want the video podcasts to be listed with the regular podcasts. Is that too much to ask?).

Not that I have any ideas if there are other devices that do have the option to control the podcast order.

If you're talking about in the podcast library, just click on the button on the top of the release date column.  I believe the little triangle is currently pointing up.  When you click it, it will point down and you'll be all set.

No, he said he has them in the correct order in iTunes but that the iPod doesn't recognize that.

Russell Nash

Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 08:43:43 AM
any ideas?

No, he said he has them in the correct order in iTunes but that the iPod doesn't recognize that.

I meant in the library from the iPod when looking at it in iTunes.  Doesn't matter, I just tried it and it didn't switch it. 

I create playlists of podcasts instead of using the podcast menu on the iPod.  This allows me to put them in whatever order i want and to mix the podcasts, so I don't need to listen to all of one podcast or mess around with the menus while I'm driving.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 04:07:16 PM
ok thanks I will have to try making playlists w/ them thanks for the info ( btw sorry for dragging us at least partially back on topic lol)

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over