Author Topic: EP303: Leech Run  (Read 25492 times)

liter8

• Extern
  • Who You Gonna Call?
    • Contemplating the Cosmos
Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 02:39:55 AM
This was my own first Escape Pod story, and it has hooked me.  I found that the action, and the character was solid.  Titan was not a man to be trifled with.  In fact, avoiding him was best for any person's health.  But what really hit me was the allegorical elements below it, about the definition of one's identity, and the masks that one often wears with it.  Titan was not what I expected, though I expected something.  So, I wanted to ask what was everyone else's thoughts on this overlapping theme.  Do you agree?  Does it ring true for you?

In the Not-too-distant future, on Sunday AD.... -MST3K

Contemplating the Cosmos, exploring the evident themes in science fiction.  Find it at http://contemplatingthecosmos.wordpress.com

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45:44 AM
...But what really hit me was the allegorical elements below it, about the definition of one's identity, and the masks that one often wears with it.  Titan was not what I expected, though I expected something.  So, I wanted to ask what was everyone else's thoughts on this overlapping theme.  Do you agree?  Does it ring true for you?

For myself, I treated it as just a straight action/intrigue/fun adventure story. But I tend to do that, I'm fairly literal when I read. Often someone will mention an allegorical interpretation or element and I think, "oh yeah! it does kinda say that!"

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 04:15:07 AM
While you can read this story allegorically, it really doesn't invite such an approach.  It's written more or less to appeal to your reading style, kibitzer, and go as a straight action-adventure piece.  There's certainly a thread of questions about identity, but they aren't really central to any of the characters' internal struggles, and in the end play little role in the resolution of events (other than enabling the "surprise" that the captain is also a Level Four.)  I mean, you can always read things into stuff (c.f. my long-standing reference to that professor who talked up Dr. Frankenstein's latent homosexuality) but at a certain point you're adding things in rather than extracting them, if that makes sense.  I don't think it's wrong to appreciate the story's minor thematic aspects, but it wasn't something the story itself was very interested in exploring or elaborating upon.  (Compare to, say, "Being Mandy" or similar, which DOES have a strong thematic core about questions of identity but many fewer space pirates shooting commie mutant traitors.)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 03:15:16 AM
For myself, I treated it as just a straight action/intrigue/fun adventure story. But I tend to do that, I'm fairly literal when I read. Often someone will mention an allegorical interpretation or element and I think, "oh yeah! it does kinda say that!"

I tend to read literally as well, and usually when someone will mention an allegorical interpretation or element, I'll think or say "really? I don't see it."  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #54 on: August 26, 2011, 06:24:22 PM
A romping good tale! 

I was clearing episodes from my phone and when I ran across this one, I realized that I had only listened to the intro.  So I listened to it, and I'm so glad I did.  I was so glad to see Alasdair return to Escape Pod, and he did a great job!  Too fast?  Maybe, but I really enjoy Al's cadence (where he pauses, where he speeds up, slows down, etc.) 

I liked the story too.  It's a great treat to those who say that EP doesn't run any good old-fashioned sci-fi.  Was Titan a hypocrite, and morally challenged?  Yes, as are most pirates/smugglers.  It would have been nice to see more redemption from him (a la Han Solo), but all in all it was a good rollicking mini adventure.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

captain0terror

• Extern
Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 07:27:10 PM
We can disregard the obvious troll account, I think.  For whatever reason, there is this small but dedicated band of people who create new accounts and rag on Alasdair's readings whenever he steps out of Pseudopod's waters.

No. How about his narration sucks and noone is willing to admit it fsr? Previous comments of him speaking too fast and frequently mumbling are not a fabrication, THIS IS how he speaks. What would be someone's motive for making something like that up? Not to mention his accent is an additional distraction.

People come out of the woodwork to complain because it's just THAT BAD, not for some personal vendetta..

I don't mind his intros/outros on pseduopod, but i generally skip any story narrated by Al for the above-stated reasons.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:52:55 PM by captain0terror »

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 03:02:04 AM
We can disregard the obvious troll account, I think.  For whatever reason, there is this small but dedicated band of people who create new accounts and rag on Alasdair's readings whenever he steps out of Pseudopod's waters.

No. How about his narration sucks and noone is willing to admit it fsr? Previous comments of him speaking too fast and frequently mumbling are not a fabrication, THIS IS how he speaks. What would be someone's motive for making something like that up? Not to mention his accent is an additional distraction.

People come out of the woodwork to complain because it's just THAT BAD, not for some personal vendetta..

I don't mind his intros/outros on pseduopod, but i generally skip any story narrated by Al for the above-stated reasons.

OK, two things.

One: it is fair to say "Alasdair sometimes reads too fast." Possibly with the rider, "for some people." That's more or less verifiable as there have been comments of late. If someone said that about my readings I wouldn't mind. (Actually, I've had the reverse said of mine :) )

Two: it is not fair to say, "his narration sucks". It is fair to say "His narrations don't work for me" or "I find his accent difficult". It is not fair to make these sounds like a personal attack. If someone said of my readings "Kibitzer's narrations suck" or "Kibitzer's accent is way too weird" I probably would mind very much.

Understand me very carefully here, Captain: I am not saying that you're deliberately making a personal attack. I am saying it comes off like that.

ancawonka

• Palmer
Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 06:40:17 AM
Just listened to this story a couple of days ago.  I liked the reading (though I was having skipping issues on my ancient iPod).  I LOVED the different voices, especially Reif.  Titan did start to speak slower towards the end, and I was wondering why...  but that was covered by the story.  Well done!

Is there going to be a sequel?  Are there more stories set in this universe?  I'm curious to read more.

Thomas

• Palmer
Reply #58 on: November 29, 2011, 11:08:26 PM

Is there going to be a sequel?  Are there more stories set in this universe?  I'm curious to read more.

I would love to hear more stories about this capt'n.

Enjoy and be nice to each other, because "WE" is all we got.

Scott W Baker

• Matross
    • Chaos out of Chaos
Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 02:39:47 AM

I do have plans to revisit Titan an company.  Both sequel and prequel type plans.  Sadly, none of those plans are on the near horizon. 

Scott W. Baker
EP #303: Leech Run
EP #359: Chasers

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #60 on: December 14, 2011, 12:52:35 PM

I do have plans to revisit Titan an company.  Both sequel and prequel type plans.  Sadly, none of those plans are on the near horizon. 
That's still good to hear!
But a prequel? We have some bad history with prequels...
You should create a space-time discontinuity and go write the prequel first. So it won't be a prequel.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!