Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: EP303: Leech Run  (Read 18119 times)

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 11:23:23 PM
While that may be facile, I'm pretty sure I enjoy more stories than people who can't help but analyze them to within an inch of their lives. Like Scattercat, say. ;D
We take our enjoyment where we find it.  I like nitpicking and analysis.  :-P

And I promise: I am genuinely glad for you, for that. (I don't know how to say that without sounding sarcastic, but I don't mean to be.) If the bit about analyzing came across as anything more than a gentle tease, I apologize.

I just didn't see any need for criticism in this case; I listened to it from across the room while doing dishes and had no particular trouble.

Excellent. And as a result, you didn't criticize or complain about it. That's how it should work.

However, since your experience can't be universal to the rest of us, those of us who had more trouble should be able to express that. Pooloniousmonk was probably harsher than he needed to be*, though Al clearly didn't think so, but I don't think the content of his (Pooloniousmonk's) comments should be dismissed just because not everyone else had the same experience. It was a valid - if not especially respectfully expressed - opinion.

*Especially the last bit about oversight, which I didn't think was necessary - the EP folks have repeatedly shown themselves to be willing to replace bad recordings.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Thomas

• Palmer
Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 03:13:29 AM
I'm a south Texas boy and wifey says you could drive a semi through my pauses. I generally talk slow with too many pauses (and too long), except when I talk MATH, but my ears do not suffer from that affliction. Al's pacing was fine. From what I can tell and from past experience, Al's accent may have been more the issue than the speed of the read. If i had read the story, then speed would have been an issue (did he just die? oh there he is....).

I love Al's work on Pseudopod and always enjoy hearing him crossing over to the other two Escape Artists shows.

Enjoy and be nice to each other, because "WE" is all we got.

sanishdonut

• Extern
Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 02:22:49 PM
I love the voices, especially Hemingway's, and the one thing that makes this story is that it doesn't turn into a love story. I loved the fact that the captain doesn't fall for the pirate babe.

Pooloniousmonk

• Extern
Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 09:57:42 PM
I have read all the posts and have learned a few things.  Apparently, the reader is a popular fellow.  That’s great, but he still reads too fast and he mumbles.  Second, there seems to be a phenomenon known as a “troll account.”  As a practical matter it should be defined as a “first posting that contains criticism of a popular individual.”   Third, I see that there have been many complaints about these readings, to no avail.   That suggests a lack of oversight. 

My posting clearly stated that the criticism was not ad hominem. I would probably enjoy the gentleman’s company.  And, it was not disrespectful, rather, it was an opinion that is unpopular.  Given the incestuousness of this bunch, which I did not realize when I posted, I am not surprised it was not well taken by many.  Nevertheless, the characterization of my words by the narrator of this forum, who should know better, as “ungracious and unconstructive” was disappointing.  Though quite simple and rather obvious, my advice to slow down and enunciate was on point. 

Accordingly, this post will be my last and my experiment in participating in this forum has ended.  I will read no more.   Thank you.

eytanz

Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 04:38:19 AM
Moderator note:

I'm genuinely sorry that Pooloniousmonk ended up feeling unwelcome, but there's nothing I can do about that now since he states he will no longer read these forums. I think that if he chose to stay and engage with us, rather than let us know what he thinks of us and move on, he would have discovered that maybe first impressions are not set in stone, in both directions. If he has a change of heart about leaving the forums, I invite him to PM me and let me know.

But, as far as this thread goes, I think we have covered the topic of his criticism of Alasdair and Scattercat (and my) criticism of his criticism to a sufficient degree. So please, no responses here on the topic. If anyone wants to discuss this, PM me. Otherwise, let's focus on the story itself (including the narration - but only discussing the narration itself, not past responses to the narration, please).

Aridawn

• Extern
Reply #45 on: August 16, 2011, 03:10:18 AM
I LOVED this story. This just barely beat out "Amaryllis" as my all-time favorite Escape Pod episode (not just because Al's voice is just so damn amazing). "Leech Run" just had such a fine combination of character, story, and sci-fi. My fiance and I were discussing another story which we thought just bogged us down with the description of the world and the rest of the story and characters just got swept away.

But "Leech Run" gives such a vivid picture of who these people are, what sort of "world" they live, and what challenges they face without taking away from any leg of the tripod.

I thought Al sounded a lot like Johnny Depp's Sweeney Todd when he spoke for Titan.

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011, 04:13:01 PM

Reif? Reif's a combination of Baldrick and Vila from Blake's 7 for me. Possibly my favorite character:)

I thought I heard Baldrick!

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #47 on: August 16, 2011, 08:06:11 PM
Reif? Reif's a combination of Baldrick and Vila from Blake's 7 for me. Possibly my favorite character:)

I don't know Vila from Blake's 7, but I was wondering when Reif was going to come up with a cunning plan, so you nailed that voice. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

rotheche

• Palmer
Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 09:39:18 PM
Great fun story - though the impracticality of using your hair to disguise a facial feature did bug me a bit.  It just doesn't work, not without half a can of Konkrete-Lok (TM) hairspray.

And Vila was always my favourite character: I had him a bit in mind listening to Reif's lines :)

On the reading: yep, a little fast in places.  Great characterisation, but I did lose some lines in there, or get confused on who was speaking.  It's not the accents; there were just places where it flew past too fast for me to catch.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 02:14:58 PM
Great fun story - though the impracticality of using your hair to disguise a facial feature did bug me a bit.  It just doesn't work, not without half a can of Konkrete-Lok (TM) hairspray.

Why wouldn't that work?  And who says he doesn't use hairspray?  Depending on how exactly the tattoo was set on his face, something like this might do the trick:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:23:45 PM by Unblinking »

liter8

• Extern
  • Who You Gonna Call?
    • Contemplating the Cosmos
Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 02:39:55 AM
This was my own first Escape Pod story, and it has hooked me.  I found that the action, and the character was solid.  Titan was not a man to be trifled with.  In fact, avoiding him was best for any person's health.  But what really hit me was the allegorical elements below it, about the definition of one's identity, and the masks that one often wears with it.  Titan was not what I expected, though I expected something.  So, I wanted to ask what was everyone else's thoughts on this overlapping theme.  Do you agree?  Does it ring true for you?

In the Not-too-distant future, on Sunday AD.... -MST3K

Contemplating the Cosmos, exploring the evident themes in science fiction.  Find it at http://contemplatingthecosmos.wordpress.com

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45:44 AM
...But what really hit me was the allegorical elements below it, about the definition of one's identity, and the masks that one often wears with it.  Titan was not what I expected, though I expected something.  So, I wanted to ask what was everyone else's thoughts on this overlapping theme.  Do you agree?  Does it ring true for you?

For myself, I treated it as just a straight action/intrigue/fun adventure story. But I tend to do that, I'm fairly literal when I read. Often someone will mention an allegorical interpretation or element and I think, "oh yeah! it does kinda say that!"

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 04:15:07 AM
While you can read this story allegorically, it really doesn't invite such an approach.  It's written more or less to appeal to your reading style, kibitzer, and go as a straight action-adventure piece.  There's certainly a thread of questions about identity, but they aren't really central to any of the characters' internal struggles, and in the end play little role in the resolution of events (other than enabling the "surprise" that the captain is also a Level Four.)  I mean, you can always read things into stuff (c.f. my long-standing reference to that professor who talked up Dr. Frankenstein's latent homosexuality) but at a certain point you're adding things in rather than extracting them, if that makes sense.  I don't think it's wrong to appreciate the story's minor thematic aspects, but it wasn't something the story itself was very interested in exploring or elaborating upon.  (Compare to, say, "Being Mandy" or similar, which DOES have a strong thematic core about questions of identity but many fewer space pirates shooting commie mutant traitors.)

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 03:15:16 AM
For myself, I treated it as just a straight action/intrigue/fun adventure story. But I tend to do that, I'm fairly literal when I read. Often someone will mention an allegorical interpretation or element and I think, "oh yeah! it does kinda say that!"

I tend to read literally as well, and usually when someone will mention an allegorical interpretation or element, I'll think or say "really? I don't see it."  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #54 on: August 26, 2011, 06:24:22 PM
A romping good tale! 

I was clearing episodes from my phone and when I ran across this one, I realized that I had only listened to the intro.  So I listened to it, and I'm so glad I did.  I was so glad to see Alasdair return to Escape Pod, and he did a great job!  Too fast?  Maybe, but I really enjoy Al's cadence (where he pauses, where he speeds up, slows down, etc.) 

I liked the story too.  It's a great treat to those who say that EP doesn't run any good old-fashioned sci-fi.  Was Titan a hypocrite, and morally challenged?  Yes, as are most pirates/smugglers.  It would have been nice to see more redemption from him (a la Han Solo), but all in all it was a good rollicking mini adventure.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

captain0terror

• Extern
Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 07:27:10 PM
We can disregard the obvious troll account, I think.  For whatever reason, there is this small but dedicated band of people who create new accounts and rag on Alasdair's readings whenever he steps out of Pseudopod's waters.

No. How about his narration sucks and noone is willing to admit it fsr? Previous comments of him speaking too fast and frequently mumbling are not a fabrication, THIS IS how he speaks. What would be someone's motive for making something like that up? Not to mention his accent is an additional distraction.

People come out of the woodwork to complain because it's just THAT BAD, not for some personal vendetta..

I don't mind his intros/outros on pseduopod, but i generally skip any story narrated by Al for the above-stated reasons.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:52:55 PM by captain0terror »

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 03:02:04 AM
We can disregard the obvious troll account, I think.  For whatever reason, there is this small but dedicated band of people who create new accounts and rag on Alasdair's readings whenever he steps out of Pseudopod's waters.

No. How about his narration sucks and noone is willing to admit it fsr? Previous comments of him speaking too fast and frequently mumbling are not a fabrication, THIS IS how he speaks. What would be someone's motive for making something like that up? Not to mention his accent is an additional distraction.

People come out of the woodwork to complain because it's just THAT BAD, not for some personal vendetta..

I don't mind his intros/outros on pseduopod, but i generally skip any story narrated by Al for the above-stated reasons.

OK, two things.

One: it is fair to say "Alasdair sometimes reads too fast." Possibly with the rider, "for some people." That's more or less verifiable as there have been comments of late. If someone said that about my readings I wouldn't mind. (Actually, I've had the reverse said of mine :) )

Two: it is not fair to say, "his narration sucks". It is fair to say "His narrations don't work for me" or "I find his accent difficult". It is not fair to make these sounds like a personal attack. If someone said of my readings "Kibitzer's narrations suck" or "Kibitzer's accent is way too weird" I probably would mind very much.

Understand me very carefully here, Captain: I am not saying that you're deliberately making a personal attack. I am saying it comes off like that.

ancawonka

• Palmer
Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 06:40:17 AM
Just listened to this story a couple of days ago.  I liked the reading (though I was having skipping issues on my ancient iPod).  I LOVED the different voices, especially Reif.  Titan did start to speak slower towards the end, and I was wondering why...  but that was covered by the story.  Well done!

Is there going to be a sequel?  Are there more stories set in this universe?  I'm curious to read more.

Thomas

• Palmer
Reply #58 on: November 29, 2011, 11:08:26 PM

Is there going to be a sequel?  Are there more stories set in this universe?  I'm curious to read more.

I would love to hear more stories about this capt'n.

Enjoy and be nice to each other, because "WE" is all we got.

Scott W Baker

• Matross
    • Chaos out of Chaos
Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 02:39:47 AM

I do have plans to revisit Titan an company.  Both sequel and prequel type plans.  Sadly, none of those plans are on the near horizon. 

Scott W. Baker
EP #303: Leech Run
EP #359: Chasers