Author Topic: PC168: Zauberschrift  (Read 11513 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 07:29:41 PM
One might not notice a particularly damning clause in one's User Agreement when preparing to click "yes", but scanning the paragraphs looking for "first-born child" would turn up a surprising result.

Once again, keenly feeling the lack of a 'Like' or '+1' button in the forum software.

There's a G+ extension that allows you to +1 any page. Just sayin'.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 03:14:54 PM
I found this story enjoyable.  Was it rather lacking in conflict?  Somewhat, yes.  Did I ever doubt that our protagonist would find the solution?  Not really.  But I still enjoyed it.  Maybe it's because I am a software engineer, and his work felt very familiar.  A few things that seemed particularly notable:
--The daemons were very much like computers in their behavior.  Computers do what they're told, the problems arise when someone doesn't understand what they're telling it to do (that can be the user or the programmer).   The difference here is the consequences in this story are much more far-reaching
--It sucks to try to debug and fix something written a long time ago by someone you can't ask about it, especially when it wasn't written in a way to allow it to be easily maintained.
--You can't assume that the previous programmers were infallible.  This is a hard but necessary lesson to learn, especially if you're fresh out of college (or in this guy's case, not fully trained) and the original code was written by veteran experts.  When I started at my first professional job I was tasked with altering parts of a big existing source code base.  Some parts didn't make sense, but generally my response would be "Well, they knew what they were doing, I probably just don't understand it."  Over the next couple of years I learned that was the wrong response, a better one being "Though the writer of this was a smart cookie, he was probably in a hurry, under pressure from management, and in those days we didn't do peer reviews of code.  If it looks wrong, it probably is."  This seemed similar in this story, from where he finally found the problem when he examined it more closely.

There were a couple of brief mentions that the sealing of a spell was dangerous - it even risked the wizard's death if he'd done it wrong - and then it was just a couple of drops, which kind of undercut the whole thing;

The impression I got was that the danger is not blood loss, the danger is that the blood links the bloodgiver to the daemons, and if he's messed something up, he could end up barbequed or some other unpleasant fate.  So it doesn't matter that it's only a few drops, the danger is still there.

Waaaaaaaaaait. Are you saying you think they should've wandered around in the forest and maybe gone camping? For like...hundreds of pages?  ;)

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Haha!  Yes, Also known as Deathly Hallows approach.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:22:43 PM by Unblinking »