Author Topic: Sapphique  (Read 3343 times)

childoftyranny

• Matross
on: August 10, 2011, 02:30:50 PM
Today I just finished up listening to Sapphique, the sequel to Incarceron both by Catherine Fisher. Now, while I enjoyed each book, the former a bit more than the latter, I've come to one disappointing conclusion about them.I don't feel as if the characters really grew.

All of them were in their own way stubborn and all working towards their own plots and goals. This is pretty much on key with reality and even more-so in that there wasn't a Gandalf type character that really knew what was going on. Mostly the head didn't know what the tail was doing as well as the entire situation heavily reminded me of one of my favorite sci-fi short stories "The Machine Stops". Yet, unlike that tail where in the end as people stagger out into this new world without technology to do the work for them, gasping for breath in the harsh air and harsher reality they are aware of the task. This story felt as if the children in charge were pretty much still children. It feels like any scene in the beginning of the book could easily happen again after it all ended. That is saying a lot since essentially the framework of their world was totally destroyed. I'm still working on my overall rating of the story but I'm left a bit disconsolate right now.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:18:05 PM
It might be a small consolation, but Swamp's new podcast "Journey Into..." just released an audio drama of "The Machine Stops" in two parts. I also love that story, and this audio version is really well done. :) I'd also recommend grabbing the 6 or so other episodes he's done so far because I've enjoyed every one.

http://journeyintopodcast.blogspot.com/

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:24 PM
I'll definetly be checking that out, thanks for the tip!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:40:38 AM
Today I just finished up listening to Sapphique,...

Is it about lesbians? That title leads me to guess that it's about lesbians.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:59:00 PM

Me too.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:25:50 PM

Me too.

Alas, there isn't even a hint of lesbians in the entire novel, in fact there despite having several pairings of male and female protagonists they don't seem attracted to one another in the least. Which is refreshing in its own way, though that may be more common in YA novels and I was simply unaware. Though perhaps they are just unaware....naw.